Sequel: Conquer Me.

Underestimate Me

He Sure Draws Attention.

The soothing sound of travel eased her mind. The rhythm of the horses’ hooves on the dry and dusty road was calming. Each time they hit the ground, puffs of powder lifted to the air. Neighing of horses and conversation among her sisters were the sounds she endeared. Josselyn closed her eyes and let the sun turn the insides of her eyelids various shades of red and orange. She felt how the sun warmed her face, burning as an almighty god in the sky. A little drop of sweat traveled from her brow down her face. It stopped at her collarbone to disappear in her bust. She had dressed lighter than the day before. Her neck was bare and her collarbones finally saw some light. She only showed the skin that was not torn apart by marks. She showed the milky cream skin that was unsoiled. Josselyn told herself it was for her sisters, to not confront them too much with her bearings. Deep down she knew it was a selfish act. She needed Meredith there to undress and not feel like covering herself up again. She needed that look in Meredith eyes to not be ashamed of her nudity accompanied with those horrendous disfigurements.

The horses stepped on, bravely facing the heat. In the corners of her eyes she saw the way Meredith’s head bobbed from the movements of her horse. There was no way to trot or canter, a large sum of sisters was on foot and the heat did not grant the possibility of running. So they rode on. Slowly and in a wave of floating words, the sisters were tumultuous. The capture of Elrik's eldest son had set them in a suspense that was as hostile as it was exciting.

“Our prisoner sure draws attention,” Josselyn heard Meredith mutter. She knew how Meredith felt. She knew Meredith wanted to send an arrow through his brain, solely to stop the gossiping and the whispers. Having avenged her leader would only be a bonus. Josselyn could recall the look in her eyes when she had swung up the sword in both hands and had readied herself for it to travel down and strike her opponent. That was before she had known, before she knew who had caused Josselyn's sleepless nights and her screaming dreams. Now it wasn’t just a lust for the kill anymore, now she wanted him to suffer.

“Dearest sister,” a voice from behind called at her. Josselyn turned her head and saw as one of the sisters traveled her horse up the column. “I have word of Evelyn. She says the captive has requested for you various times. He has not slept, repeating his desire to speak to you.”

Josselyn looked at the young woman, the black horse she was riding and her seemingly innocent face. She was still young, about the age her blood-sister would be now. Had she seen her fifteenth name day yet or had Josselyn been gone for more than two seasonal cycles?

She granted the young girl a little smile, however continued with a grave voice; “And tell me sister, since when do we grant prisoners’ requests?” The girl looked a bit lost. Ashamed of her message, of the ineptitude of her and her sisters. A blush appeared on her face and Josselyn took pity on her. Do not shoot the messenger for messages go both ways.

“Do not feel ignorant my dear sister,” Josselyn said, She felt the eyes of Meredith upon her. “For you are just the bearer of report. Return to our sister Evelyn and tell her I did not grant a response. Don’t answer any of the prisoner’s questions and tell my sisters that it is my say so that he is not to associate with my loved ones.” The girl nodded but was too humiliated to speak. She turned her horse and traveled back down the column.

Josselyn watched as she moved away and for an instant caught the dark eyes of her former lover. Abruptly, she turned her head as mixed feelings were upon her. The fear of him, the lust for him, but most of all the scorn that rose in her chest. She felt her hands tighten around the reins as resentment infested all her other feelings. Reminding her of her bearings and the scars beneath her tunic.

The horses were getting weary as were her sisters. Josselyn raised her hand, still with a clenching fist. The column came to a halt and she turned. Her loud voice rang over the complete sisterhood.

“We shall rest here, feed and water your horses. Get off your feet; we still have a great distance to cover before night falls.” Josselyn got off her Paloma and patted it on the neck. Her loyal companion was always there for her. She entrusted it with her weight, to be her travel companion, but she did not take her Paloma into fight. Josselyn believed that she could not ask Maa to provide her with creatures to die for a human cause.

Meredith had dismounted as well and walked the two horses to a stream nearby. The next part of the travel would be on foot as they would venture into the deep woods and leave the treacherous road. Josselyn crossed the abundance of sisters before she found the young girl that had traveled up to her just before. She was adjusting the saddle on her black mare and seemed startled at the approach of her leader. Josselyn shushed her and traced her fingers across the girl’s cheek softly.

“Don’t fear me girl, I have seen how brave you are. I am the last one to distrust or dread.” Her tone was warm, hinting at the free girl she had once been. The ignorance of her youth was only to be found in the harmony of her voice. The girl relaxed and her cramped shoulders dropped.

“Tell me you name, Sweet,” Josselyn said.

The girl responded with a stutter. “I am called Emma, my liege,” A little chuckle left Josselyn’s lips.

“Well my name is Josselyn, call me that or call me sister. I am no liege, I wear no crown, and I am no queen.” The girl nodded and looked at her feet.

“For someone to join a band of rebels, you are awfully quiet,” Josselyn grabbed Emma’s hand and squeezed it softly. “Please do me a favor, keep having the courage to bring bad bearings or dimwitted questions. Would you tell Evelyn to double the security on our guest when we travel on?” Emma nodded and Josselyn left her. She reminded her of Rebecca.

“Get your rowdy behind off of that roof!” Josselyn shouted in the alley. “If Dad finds you, you will be sorry you ever learned to climb.” Even though she was supposed to be mad and disappointed in her adventurous little sister, all Josselyn could do was chuckle at the little dark haired girl that had taken it upon herself to climb on the highest building in the village. Rebecca had more daring than half the men, and she had a dangerous amount of determination. The dark wavy hair braided into two long braids was caught by the wind that almost blew the little girl off the roof. “That’s it; I am coming to get you this instant.”

With one eye Josselyn watched Rowen sitting down on a rock by the stream. He was way down the current, but she could feel his eyes drilling holes in her. She could feel how his glare tried to catch hers. Josselyn would not give into his look, for it would stir up too much at the moment. She needed to be veiled; she needed to be the Josselyn her sisters knew. She could not be the girl who once foolishly crawled in his bed.

“First thing I want to do when we are settled is get some answers out of him.” She muttered to Meredith. Her sister only nodded and a little grin appeared on her face. The wondrous thoughts of being able to hurt him gave her pleasure and in some macabre way, seeing that grin pleased her.

A loud shriek came from the air and Josselyn’s glance shot up. Falcon was descending with great speed, not for the reunion with his beloved master, but in attack. Its claws outstretched, aiming for the only unknown and unwelcome target amidst them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Rowen,
keep up!

Hey guys! I know the title is horrible, but I'm just too tired to think of a good one. I just got home from work and all I want to do is sleep, but I promised Leanne while she was away this weekend I'd post since she's been posting for me lately. I gave you two gifs to make up for my lack of creativity.

Now, leave me comments!!! I mean, us!!! Leave Leanne and I lots of comments lol :) ~ Nikki