Sequel: Conquer Me.

Underestimate Me

Godforsaken Forest.

The dense forest shrouded the men in blackness for most of their long journey, but the sun finally decided to peak through the thicket of treetops. They took refuge by the only road big enough to hold a large party. Rowen positioned himself behind his tent; no stray wanderers would spot him, and he could keep an eye on his men.

A loud shriek echoed above the trees; his eyes shot toward the canopy where the predatory sound originated only to find a glimpse of what looked like a large falcon. The men, all awake and preparing for another day’s travel, paused at the harshness of the bird’s call. Tension amongst them rose faster than the blazing heat of the morning sun. Armor clinked and clanked as it was quickly donned. “There is nothing to fear,” Rowen said, though it was in a low tone mostly meant for his own ears.

Elrick, the head of the region and Rowen’s father, ordered this expedition into the dark wood. Too many carriages of late were attacked. Villagers died, massacred in the midst of the street because they traveled the wrong road at the wrong time. Rumors of the horrendous murders tortured the village and frightened the region. Elrick couldn’t ignore the slaughters anymore after the medical supply carriage never made it to its proper location. The driver was found with large gashes, possibly created by a barrage of knives.

Rowen shook the images from his mind. His father believed the treachery to be nothing more than criminals lurking just beyond the village. Elrick entrusted his favorite and eldest son with the task of finding and capturing the villainous murderers so they could be sentenced righteously. The young man did not know what to expect but held to the hope of not disappointing his father again.

The falcon flew through the branches, ruffling the leaves above the men. Panic raced through their eyes, but they were trained to stay calm. Rowen quickly walked from his hiding place to another. He did not bother himself with speaking to any one of the men individually. Instead, he called out to those closest to him, “Make haste. We must be on our way before the midday sun is upon us. Keep your weapons by your sides and your eyes open.”

The criminals hid their tracks well. Nothing was spotted after the first day’s travel, nothing that brought any clues as to who or what caused the attacks. All the armored soldiers banged clumsily in their attire as they rushed to follow commands. Their bumbling idiocy frustrated Rowen even more than not finding a single hint in such a vast wood. He was always frustrated since the incident, since his release. His father proved to be right; he needed this time away from the village, but he certainly did not need these men getting in his way.

“Their presence is only for your protection, and my safety of mind,” Elrick’s dark voice boomed through the large stone office in which he did most of his business.

“They will only be nuisances, Father,” Rowen countered, “I am sure that I could accomplish this employment on my own quicker than I possibly could with their bothersome presence.”


Elrick had insisted and Rowen gave in, and that brought him into the dark wood with armored buffoons who made too much noise and brought too many weapons. Anyone within eyesight would be sure to think a war was coming, but if he could do anything about it there would be no war. No harm would come to the village or the region under his watch. That might’ve been the reason why he was his father’s favorite, though it could be Merek’s insistent need for approval and attention. Even though Merek had Rowen’s broad shoulders, and strong facial features, he was nothing like his elder brother. Merek looked like their dear mother, blond and blue eyed. They were close as brothers could be, but Elrick disapproved of their friendship, disapproved of Merek’s behavior, and most of all disapproved of Merek having anything to do with ruling the region.

Rowen wished his sibling was allowed to join him on this venture, but his father denied any suggestion of it. Elrick believed his youngest son would surely cause trouble or possibly get himself murdered. Rowen shoved all thoughts of his brother lying in the woods in a pool of his own blood down. Another of the many reasons he listened to his father.

With the camp nearly packed and ready to move forward, Rowen decided to walk ahead. He informed a few of the men closest to him to give the order to follow when they were finished. The shadows forming just behind the trees in the morning sun kept his face hidden. It was important not to let anyone, besides those he traveled with, know that he was in the woods. Shadows did not cover him completely, but it gave him enough to search for signs. He found none.

Silence filled the air. The Falcon disappeared as did most of the animals. Taking shelter from the rising heat became their priority, while his priorities remained the same. Search for murderous villains while the light of day provided enough through the canopy of treetops. Rowen’s frustration grew as he leaned against a tree. Not one broken twig could be found, no trails spotted; the ghosts he tracked couldn’t be here.

Rowen leaned against the massive trunk of an old tree with low boughs. An eerie sound echoed just above his head. He looked toward the lowest hanging bough on the tree to see a large white speckled owl waddling into an open hole in the tree. Its hoot echoed above his head a few more instances before the animal found sleep.

At least someone can find something in this wretched, godforsaken forest.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't need them!
Thank you for reading. Please, if you haven't already rec/subscribe/comment!