Sequel: Conquer Me.

Underestimate Me

A Soldier Has Arrived.

Rowen still tried to wrap his head around the arrow that landed inches away from his left thigh. No one in their right mind would miss that shot. He knew, even before he saw her, it was her arrow that tried and failed. The knowledge, however, did not stop him from jumping away from the arrow and searching for her. Once he saw the blood lust in her eyes, he wished he hadn’t.

Aldith watched him carefully though he would not meet her gaze. He was thankful that some of these women believed his story, but they weren’t enough. “I would tell you to rest, but if she finds you asleep I fear what she might do.”

“I am done.” Rowen’s voice cracked over the word done. His bloodshot eyes burned almost as hot as he skin felt. “What is the use in fighting someone who never listens to a word you say? How am I supposed to win a battle when she has already claimed the war?” His eyes fell upon Aldith this time, who simply answered with a shake of her head.

Rowen caught a glimps of Laila’s preparing a small concoction away from where the other’s prepared their supper. Luckily she only boiled water so far. “Go to her,” he told Aldith. “Tell her I’m not hungry; tell her not to waste her time on it tonight.”

“You are not my leader,” Aldith stated. Her voice was low and harsh. Had he done something to offend her?

“Is Sister Josselyn right about you? Do you only use us to get what you want?” Her eyes weren’t hard only observant.

Rowen gritted his teeth. He convinced himself the day before that he made friends here. It wasn’t so bad. Now, one of the women he considered friend asked him if he used her for his bidding. He turned away from her eyes. Let them think what they wish for those are the only answers they will accept. Rowen was tired of being pushed down by these people. He hadn’t done anything wrong. “The next woman that lies in my bed will be my wife,” Rowen promised himself in a soft whisper.

Aldith smirked. “You should have had that mindset when you bedded my leader.”

~~~

Merek was ordered to see Rowen’s fencing instructor. He hated sword fighting, but he understood that now was the time to learn. His elder brother was gone. He hated to think of the possibilities, but his father reminded him every moment that Rowen stayed away.

“You need to know these things. If your brother does not return you are next to inherit.” The scowl on Elrik’s face was always evident as he spoke to his youngest son. He rather search for a way to live for eternity than give anything to that horrid child. Elrik thought his youngest son incompetent, self-absorbed, and ignorant.

Merek waited for the knight to arrive. Sir Uwen was famous for two things; his amazing sword play, and of course his tardiness. That man was sure to be late to his own funeral when the day comes. Elrik walked passed the field where Merek waited for the silver haired knight. The youngest son wondered what his father was up too.

~~~

Elrik walked with haste towards the council chambers. Word was sent that a messenger arrived from the new search party. This man was smarter than the bumbling fool that came directly to Elrik’s home. He couldn’t remember the foot soldier’s name, nor could he be bothered with the hassle of trying to recall.

Four men stood in front of the dwelling he rushed toward. Two had their backs turned toward him while the other seemed deep in his argumentative state. The fourth Elrik recognized as Hadrian. Why were they all standing around outside?

“What is the problem?” Elrik’s voice boomed over the men before he was too near them. All four sets of eyes turned, watching their leader carefully as his approach finished.

“A soldier has arrived. He says he needs more water supplies to go back to his party.” Hadrian spoke with a harsh frown. Elrik had no doubts that this man did not believe the soldier’s words.

“What news does he bring?” He paused to watch his comrades’ faces. Only one looked as disbelieving as he felt.

A blonde man with a short beard and the same rare aqua eyes that Elrik’s youngest had answered, “He says there is no news of Rowen or the rebels. His party has been moving constantly since they left, but nothing.” Elrik wanted to look anywhere except at the blond man, luckily Hadrian cleared his throat, drawing Elrik’s attention.

“Except…” Hadrian started with a shrug. “Apparently there is a large pile of melted iron in the midst of a charred field. He says it looks like someone burned a battle field.”

Elrik wanted to kick himself. That foot soldier may have told the truth, but still the grotesque man deserved to die for abandoning his leader. “Give him his water and send him on his way. Tell him not to return again without my son.” Elrik turned and headed the way he came. There was much to be done, and this was a waste of his precious time.

~~~

Rowen fought sleep for a while. Staring into the woods where Josselyn made her escape. Aldith felt sorry for the poor man. Whether Josselyn could see it or not, Aldith could. He was genuinely worried about something, and the passing glances he stole at her leader when he thought no one was looking spoke volumes.

Laila brought two bowls over. One for Aldith and one for Rowen, but he couldn’t hold his eyes open long enough to eat. “He said he wasn’t hungry,” she told her sister. Laila took one look at his peaked skin, the small beads of sweat along his forehead, and the way his blood stained hands twitched in his sleep and thought something wasn’t right. “He’s getting sick, and Sister Josselyn wants to take away his rest,” Laila’s voice was soft.

“If she finds out we let him sleep we shan’t be allowed to tend to him.” She turned around watching the other’s in the fading sun. Soon it would be dark enough for him to sleep peacefully if his guard held the torch light away from his soft breathing.

“Do you believe what he says? About his innocence?” Both women stood staring at the other’s face. Pondering the same question.

“I believe the way he looks at her is real,” Aldith answered.

A loud crack came from just beyond the tree line. Laila grabbed her bow off her back and poised her arrow while Aldith picked up her throwing daggers. “What was that,” Laila hissed.

Aldith kicked Rowen’s thigh, startling his eyes open. “NO! He will not hurt you again,” Rowen yelled as his breath caught in his throat. She raised her brow at the man she come to know so well. “What’s going on,” Rowen slurred his words. A shadow passed a tree just in front of Laila.

“I don’t know, but keep your eyes open. You don’t want to find Maa’s wrath tonight.” Aldith watched as her words flowed through his mind; he snapped to attention as her words sank in.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the late update! please keep commenting and reminding us to update please! -Alex

You do not want to find Maa's wrath tonight