Sequel: Conquer Me.

Underestimate Me

Do You Remember Your Friends?

Emma’s eyes half closed as she relaxed into Josselyn’s touch. Whether her leader realized it or not, Emma was getting to comfortable in her place. Rowen could see the angelic glow of innocence written on her face as he begrudgingly finished off his parcel of bread. His stomach stopped burning after he finished his parcel. Josselyn finger combed the braid back out and begun again twisting and winding thick strands of unkempt hair.

Rowen watched the lulling motion. Her hands moved through the air as if they plucked the strings of a silent yet beautiful instrument. His eyes wondered to her face. He thought of her previous words. “Do not ever say we won, when that victory has been bought with lives.” Her brow creased, crinkling her forehead, causing her lips to turn down, but the expression would not hold when her hands folded a braid for the child before her.

No, he had not missed the resemblance. She had the same rough curls, the same blushing lips, and round cheeks. Her figure was thin, and she was about the same height. Emma was the spitting image of Rebecca except her curls were just a shade or two lighter. Her comfort, her peace, brought Josselyn’s mood to good heights. The soft smile that played on the corners of her mouth while her fingers moved with ease filled Rowen with happiness. His vision came upon him without warning, but this one he welcomed for the moment.

“Be still, Little One!” Josselyn laughed while Rebecca squirmed between her legs. Her long dark hair knotted with each movement she made, but her sister’s fingers combed through them. “Don’t just sit there! Help me,” she pleaded with Rowen while he grinned at the sight.

“I fear, Sweet, that you have invited the wrong brother into your sisterly confidence.” Rowen winked at Rebecca. Her face and neck flushed while her body stilled. A broad smile overcame her features before she buried it in the crooks of her elbows which rested on the tops of her knees. The lilting laugh that escaped Josselyn’s lips made Rowen soar to new levels of perfect happiness.

“If you don’t sit still, Rebecca, I shall go and track Merek down this instance. We can discuss your little crush.” Josselyn’s playful blue eyes met Rowen’s dark eyes for a moment before her cheek flushed. He hoped that might be a sign that she wanted to warm up to his advances, but he dared not let himself believe it.

Rebecca’s head popped up with the swiftness of a fox before she turned into a human statue. Merek would be disappointed he missed this encounter, but his lessons always came first. Elrik nor Rowen would allow the young man to be ignorant. However, the eldest brother enjoyed having the sisters to himself today.

Josselyn brushed her fingers against Rebecca’s soft, pale neck causing her to visibly shiver. Both girls giggled while Rowen leaned back against the tree trunk, drinking in their happiness. This had been rare since Josselyn’s betrothal was announced last month. He cherished the sound of her laughter while he could still hear it. Not too long from now she would be married, and he would only get to see her in crowded rooms if Hadrian allowed her to go to such events.

“Rowen!” Rebecca giggled. “Where are you, dear friend? Your body is here with us while your mind is floating away with the clouds.”

“My thoughts, Little One, are with your sister currently.” Rowen smiled before he continued. “I could not be closer to you than I am now.” He moved onto his knees before leaning forward, putting his forehead against hers. “Where are you currently?”

Josselyn pushed him back before she clicked her tongue at him. “She is sitting here, and the more you agitate her the longer this will take!” Rebecca let out a deep sigh while Rowen leaned back, sitting against his tree again.

His eyes were too focused on her smile to notice the visitor that neared them. He only noticed the new presences when the voice found his ears. “Good afternoon, Love.” His fingers wrapped around her shoulder. Josselyn winced at the sound of his voice and leaned into Rebecca at his touch. Rowen stood, brushed his pants off, and looked into Hadrian’s eyes.

“Councilman,” Rowen stated before he turned his gaze back onto the girls. “My friends.” He smiled widely at them. “Thank you for inviting me to sit with you for a moment…”

“Must you be off so soon?” The words fell from Josselyn’s lips before she could stop them. Rowen’s fingers curled into fists as her face hardened at the harsh squeeze Hadrian gave her shoulder.

“I must pick Merek up; you know how troublesome that boy can be when the proper supervision is lost.”

Rebecca laughed while her sister shook her head. “You are far from proper supervision, Sir, but, I suppose, your brother must have someone to look after him.”


“Rowen?” Emma’s voice cut through his thoughts. His eyes met hers for a moment before he turned his face toward the shimmering water.

“Tell me what it was like?” Emma’s gaze remained on him, but he made no effort to answer her. “What was it like to grow up with our fearless leader?”

Rowen’s gaze turned again, but this instance it met those once playful blue eyes. “Words cannot explain, Little One, how much those days meant to those she once called friend.” He averted his eyes once more; this time they focused on the dirt between his feet and Emma’s.

“Tell me more, Sister Josselyn, about your friends? I don’t remember having many, just the girl who was four years younger than me that lived next door.” Emma moved to turn toward Josselyn’s face; before she could look into her leader’s eyes, Josselyn pushed her chin forward as she finished half the braid for the second time.

“Do you remember your friends?”

The question grasped Rowen’s throat and clenched until he couldn’t breathe. Kolby’s green eyes filled his vision. Rowen shook his head. “All I ever had was…” He trailed off, wondering if Merek had ended up like Kolby yet, or if Elrik still kept him alive for torturous pleasure. “No. I do not remember the company I kept.”

He stole one glance at Josselyn whose face paled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Updating for Nikki tonight. Guys we are heading to a cliff and to the the sequal, I hope we can all drag you with us over the edge and into 'Conquer me.'

Days before, when he drank her happiness. When she used to laugh.

And because we won't deny you any opportunity to some Kolby love;
Tell me more, Sister Josselyn, about your friends!