The Rest of Us

Chapter 1- Saved by a Human

The Alpha’s POV

I remember back when I was a pup life wasn’t so complicated. Humans lived in the city, wolf bloods stayed in their wolf form and lived peacefully out in the wilderness.

My only worries were that I was born an Alpha, with that came responsibilities of one day taking over the pack, and having to find a mate that was suitable enough to stand beside me.

Growing up I became one of the strongest wolves in the pack, to achieve this I had been in multiple fights. Some with males younger and older then myself, others with wolves who tried entering the territory without permission.

My parents were proud of me, I grew up exactly the way they wanted me to.

I had a girlfriend that loved me, and wouldn’t tolerate any funny business from our fellow pack members.

We were both a season away from being titled the new Alpha pair, my parents volunteering their status as they had believed I was ready to step up and take care of our pack.

Life was perfect.

My eye sight was a blur when I came to, thick liquid ran down my face, when I looked down I saw a puddle of blood as another drop fell.

My hands were tied behind my back, a piece of rope was wrapped around my neck and had constant pressure every time I moved.

I began to lift myself off my knees and raise myself up on to my feet when I felt a hard kick to the back.

A deep huff escaped me as I grew angry, a growl began to build up in my throat. I was silenced immediately as a foot was placed on my head, forcing my face into the dirt.

A handful of my hair was grabbed, causing me to cry out in pain as I was slightly lifted off the ground from this action.

With the rest of the strength I had left in me, I tried rolling over to see my attacker. This was a mistake as a foot kicked me in the ribs.

My eyes closed shut and I curled up into a ball. When I reopened them, tears were building up.

I felt the barrel of a rifle pointed to the back of my head, and for the first time in my life I truly felt like I was a wild animal that was being hunted down for no good reason when I had done nothing wrong.

A gun shot rang out, which caused my entire body to tense up. It took only a couple of seconds to realize that I was still alive, and the rope around my neck loosened.

A gulped in deep breaths of fresh air before I heard people rushing towards me, panic built up inside my chest as I still had my hands tied behind me.

Another gun shot rang out, I rolled over on to my right side as a body fell down beside me. Smaller feet came running up to me, I growled as I saw the rifle was pointed my direction.

This human pulled out a knife and stepped over me, quickly cutting the rope that kept me tied up. I was relieved for being released, that was all I needed before shifting back into my wolf form.

I snarled, charging after the closest human that took part in torturing me. My fangs going for the throat, claws ripping at the chest.

I didn’t waste a second more as I took off quickly towards the thicker part of the forest, in search of my mate and pack. As I approached the den, my ears perked back as I saw the countless bodies lying motionless on the ground.

As I stepped past each one, some had their throats sliced, others gun shot wounds.

A small whimper escaped my throat as I saw one wolf in particular, with my head lowered I walked over to her slowly.

I continued to whine as I sprawled on to my stomach, my paws laying out in front of me. My mate laid in front of my father, her neck having been snapped. My father had multiple gun shots. I couldn’t see or smell where my mother was.

Fear overtook me as the worst came to mind.

Fast footsteps approached me, I stood up quickly and turned to see who it was.

I growled, seeing it was the same small human.

“Hey, it’s okay. I’m not going to hurt you.”

I watched as the human took a few steps back before lowering the gun and pushing it away.

A smirk came to my muzzle as I ran towards this person, my teeth barring as I grabbed on to the first thing my fangs could bury into. The loud scream that followed it made me release my grip for only a second before I bit down harder.

A yelp escaped me and I stepped back as I felt a hand grab the fur on the back of my neck, this caused me to shift back into the human form I disliked.

I raised my head and glared at the human, my lip quivering and barring my teeth once more.

“Don’t give me that look. I helped you out and in return you bit me, thanks a lot!”

I huffed before sitting down, making sure to keep my distance. Saving me or not, I still did not trust this creature.

My head lowered slightly as I looked to the ground, the emotions finally hitting me as I realized I had lost my father and my mate, it wasn’t a terrible nightmare I would be waking up from.

I flinched as a hand touched my skin, observing the marks the rope had left behind. I directed my eyes to look anywhere else but what is in front of me.

“You seem to be healing pretty quickly.”

I snorted, “It’s a gift for being a-”

I stood up, shutting my mouth as I did not need to tell this human anymore about my kind.

“A wolf-blood? Yeah, I know a lot about your species.”

Intrigued by the smartass tone I was given, I raised an eye brow. “If you know so much about my kind, you would’ve been smart to not come near here.”

The female chuckled before shaking her head and making her way further into the woods, I followed slowly to see where she was headed.

My steps slowed as I noticed a pickup truck parked hidden in the trees, my lip began to curl.

“Relax, it’s just a truck.

I rolled my eyes and shook my head, a small huff escaping my lips. She opened the passenger door, grabbing for a small container and pulling a few items out before closing the door again.

A whine came from my lips as she poured something on the bite that caused her to wince and cuss a few words.

Cautiously, I walked closer to the truck just as she began wrapping her arm with white cloth.

“If you wouldn’t have followed me, I wouldn’t have had the reason to attack you.”

She leaned back against her truck and glared at me, “Yeah, and saying I wasn’t going to hurt you and tossing my gun was a sign that I was going to kill you. Come on, Pierre.”

My eyebrows rose instantly, I took a step back. “How the hell do you know my name?” I growled.

The human shook her head slowly before shrugging her shoulders as if it should’ve been obvious. “Um, anyone whose a wolf-blood knows who you are.”

I snarled before slamming my fists on to the bed of the truck, “But you’re not a wolf-blood, you’re a filthy little human being who messed with the wrong wolf!”

She put her hands on my chest and pushed me back a few inches, I looked down at her hands before raising my head and growling.

“My name is Nichole, and I’d appreciate it if you wouldn’t call me little.”

My sour attitude lifted slightly as I looked down at her, from that entire sentence of insulting her about being human the only thing that upset her was being called ‘little’?

“How would you know my name as well as any wolf-blood?

Nichole chewed on her bottom lip for a few seconds before responding, “Where I came from everyone originally called you the ‘Northern Wolf, or the Great White and sometimes even Arctic Wolf. Down South the wolf-bloods are actually friends with some of us humans, I grew up next door to a family of them.

Before I made the trip up here, I was told to look for a white wolf. You don’t see very many white wolves, and when you do they’re usually up North. You were described as a pure white, well built Alpha male. And when I did find you, I was told to call you by your birth name otherwise you wouldn’t believe I’m on your side.”

Nichole walked towards the driver’s side of the truck before pulling down the visor and grabbing what looked like a piece of paper. She walked back over and handed it to me.

I looked back at a reflection of myself, it was a picture of when I was a small pup on one of my many adventures learning the territory.

“You were a pup back then, your features are still the same. But the fact that your right rear paw is black and I doubt another wolf is born exactly the same. I knew I found the right wolf-blood.”

“H-How did you get this picture?”

A small smile came upon Nichole’s face, “My friend gave it to me, his Dad took it about 3 years ago. That’s why I drove to this location specifically, it was only a matter of finding you.” she patted my shoulder. “You keep the photo.”

Nichole walked back over to where she dropped her gun, I watched her movements slowly as she then came back to the truck, took out the remaining bullets, and put the gun in a black case before hiding it behind the front seats.

She looked up at me, “So, where would you like to go from here, Pierre?”

----

I sat on the opposite end of the cab with my head tilted against the door. The radio was on low, some broken hearted love song playing through the speakers.

“How exactly did you find me?”

Nichole glanced in my direction before slightly shrugging her shoulders, “Luck I guess, but then again I was searching for you so..”

My head turned quick as I looked at her, “Why were you searching for me?”

Nichole kept her eyes on the road as she spoke, “Just because I’m human doesn’t make me stupid. I began searching for you three weeks ago when this shit started happening. I don’t know who these people are that are coming in and slaughtering your kind, but on a rare occasion they take a few captive and experiment on them.”

“You are the strongest Alpha in the North-East of the United States, and you’ve got Canada as part of your territory whether you know that or not. There is no one else I can go to that can help me sort this out.

I risked my whole life, my family and future to find you and save your species. You may not appreciate it at this moment, but when there comes a time when they won’t listen to anyone but a human, I’ll be there to speak.”

A growl built up in my throat, “Thanks, but no thanks. Not a single wolf-blood will appreciate a human saving our species. No offense, but you are a small, fragile human that wouldn’t make it with a pack of wolves for more than a week.”

Nichole’s hands had tightened on the steering wheel, her eye brows drawn tight. I knew I had struck a nerve. “That’s why I came to find you, Pierre. A wolf-blood would have to be dumb to not listen to an Alpha as strong as you are. I need your protection if we’re going to get through this.”

I couldn’t help but laugh out loud, causing Nichole’s eye brows to raise with surprise. “Protect you? Now why in the hell would I want to risk my status, and possibly get killed for a human fighting a war that isn’t none of her damn business? You’re not worth it to me, I don’t like or care about you, I could care less if the next wolf-blood you see kills you on the spot.”

“Please enlighten me on why I should protect your sorry ass?”

Nichole shook her head slowly, I watched as she swallowed the lump that had formed in her throat. When she finally glanced my way, I saw the few tear stains on her cheeks.

“Because when you had over fifteen pack members that could’ve taken down the one human that caught you and tied you up, I was the only one who came and saved your life.”

Nichole had a good point, why hadn’t anyone in my pack come and save me? How did I end up ambushed in the first place?

A sigh escaped me as I rested my head against the door and closed my eyes.
----

I opened my eyes and glanced out the window, it was night time and we were parked outside a Motel. A total of two other vehicles were included in the parking lot.

Nichole approached my side of the truck, looking around before speaking to me. “We’ll be staying here tonight.”

I jerked my head to the side a little, “This place is a dump, I’d rather sleep on the dirt before stepping into a place like this.”

An exhausted sigh came out of Nichole, “I’m sorry that this doesn’t meet your Alpha standards. We have a better chance of not getting caught if we blend in with everyone else. Now, I don’t know about you. But even though this place is a shit hole, it beats having to sleep in the back of a pickup truck.”

Nichole handed me a piece of plastic, “If you change your mind, our room is number 8.”

I sat out in the truck for a couple of minutes, checking out my surroundings. A light kept flickering every few seconds, the buzzing irritating the hell out of me.

I opened up the truck door and began walking towards the Motel, my eyes glancing at each door before spotting number 8 and making my way to it.

I looked at the small card Nichole had handed me, then looked down at the small machine that was keeping me from getting inside.

A small whine escaped my lips as I pressed my head against the frame, my knuckles tapping lightly on the door.

A few seconds later the door opened, my eyes began to tear up on their own. Relief washing over me that she had allowed me in, instead of keeping me outside looking like an idiot trying to figure out this human invention.

“Thank you.”

I stepped inside, and looked around the room.

There wasn’t much, but the one thing that mattered to me was the bed.

Nichole grabbed a few pieces of clothing from her bag before reaching out and handing them to me. “I know its not much, and sorry if the clothes are a little big. At the last fill-up for gas I picked out whatever they had available. Figured you wouldn’t like wearing the same clothes again.”

I gave a slight nod of my head, “Thank you.”

Nichole smiled before nodding her head as well, “If you’ll excuse me, I just have to step out for a moment. I will be back within a few minutes. Please stay inside the room, don’t answer the door for any reason.”

Without another word said, she turned and walked out of the motel room, leaving me by myself. A soft sigh escaped me as I looked down at the clothing in my hands.

I walked over to the bed and sat down, placing the clothing beside me as I looked down at my hands.

For a moment I closed my eyes, when I reopened them Nichole was kneeling down in front of me, concern written all over her face.

A smile crossed her face as she held out a sandwich, “You look like you’re hungry.” she chuckled.

“Nichole, I can catch my own food. You don’t need to worry about feeding me.”

She shook her head, “Sometimes it’s not such a bad thing to be taken care of by someone else, Pierre.”

Who was I to argue over food that was being handed to me, I didn’t waste a second more as I ate the sandwich.

It was different then what I was used to, but it satisfied my hunger.

“Come on, let’s go wash up. It’s been a long day, I’ll help you out.”

A part of me refused to follow, knowing nothing good would become of this. Or maybe it was the fear that I wasn’t really sure how humans took a bath. Curiosity got the better of me as I stood up and followed her slowly to the bathroom.

Nichole closed the door behind us, she walked over to the shower and turned it on before looking at me.

My lip curled and a growl crept up my throat, “I don’t need your help, leave me alone.”

The small female before me ignored my request as she grabbed the bottom of my shirt and lifted it over my head. I waited to hear a gasp of shock from the scars I had on my human skin.

All I saw on her face was sadness, as if she felt guilty for what had happened to me in the past.

I can’t recall the minutes that had passed, only knowing that when I came back to reality that I was standing inside the shower in only my boxers.

My head bowed ever so slightly, another growl left my throat as she was scrubbing something into my hair.

My eyes rolled into the back of my head at the soothing fingers that massaged my scalp. The sweet gesture was short lived as I forced my eyes closed, the shower head blasting water on to my head and rinsing the soap down on my face. Out of instinct I pulled away from the water and began shaking my head.

A slight chuckle came from Nichole as she raised a bottle that read ‘conditioner‘, pouring some of the contents into my hair and massaging my head once more.

A wash cloth was handed to me with soap on it, “I’ll give you some time alone to wash up, if you need anything just holler.”

----

As I walked out of the bathroom in a pair of boxers and pajama pants, I glanced around before noticing Nichole curled up on the chair in the corner of the room. My eyes turned to the king sized bed that lay untouched.

I couldn’t possibly understand in the slightest bit how she saw that comfortable.

A sigh escaped as the realization dawned on me. Alpha’s always got the best treatment.

Without even bothering to ask for her permission, I walked over to Nichole and scooped her into my arms, she awakened slightly panicked and eye sight blurry, hands pushing on my chest and raising herself up enough to where her head rested on top of mine.

“Hey hey, you’re alright Nic. It’s just me.”

My heart ached as I felt her small body shaking, she was still tense as I walked over to the bed and set her down in the middle of it. I started to move back but was stopped as her arms were still wrapped around my neck.

“I gotta shut off the lights, Nichole.”

She nodded her head in understanding, letting me go and curling up to the nearest pillow.

I walked over to the lamp and turned it off, then made my way back over to the bed.

In that moment we stared into each others eyes, a crooked smile tugged at the corner of my lips seeing the same dark iris peering back at me.

Satisfied that we were both on the bed, I grabbed the comforter and pulled it over myself before wrapping an arm around her and pulling her close to my chest.

A content sigh escaped Nichole as she nuzzled her head under my chin.

The loneliness I felt inside seized as the smaller body in front of me fell back to sleep, heart beating at a steady rhythm. It was the first time sleeping beside someone that wasn’t a part of my pack, a family member, let alone my mate.

Surprisingly it didn’t bother me as much as it should have. The only thing we had left was each other.

This was the first human I’ve seen that went against their own kind, I know my species would kill her in a heartbeat for interacting with us wolf-bloods. Humans and werewolves do not mix. There is only one dominate species.

----

I followed close behind Nichole as she carried her backpack and walked towards the truck. I was slightly curious as to why she was wearing a long-sleeve shirt when the weather felt pretty good.

I chose this as my opportunity to see what was going on by clearing my throat.

Nichole stopped by the driver door, switching the bag from her right hand to her left. I noticed instantly how her left hand couldn’t handle the weight so easily.

“Are you alright, Nic?”

Nichole nodded her head quickly, placing the bag into the bed of the truck before hopping in and closing the door behind her.

I raised an eye brow and climbed in on the other side of the truck, I reached over and took the keys out of the ignition. Nichole slumped back into the seat.

I looked her over slowly, trying to find something out of place. It took only a couple seconds as I noticed her left arm was cradled on to her lap.

It was the arm I had bitten the day before. Panic washed over me from the realization.

I didn’t know what happened to a human after a bite, I either avoid them all together or kill.

A whimper escaped me as I got out of the truck and walked over to the other side, opening the drivers door.

“N-Nichole.”

Although we were well rested from the night before, she looked like she hadn’t slept a wink.

“Is there anything I can do to help?”

Nichole gave me a tired look, “Do you know how to drive?”

I shook my head slowly, “Um..not really no. I rely on my four paws to get me somewhere fast.”

“That’s alright, Pierre. Driving really isn’t that hard. I’ll guide you step by step. How far do you think we are from this pack you’ve heard about?”

I took a step back, thinking about it for a minute. “Probably half a day with the truck, two days if we walk. I’m using my sense of smell and instinct to find this place, Nichole. I’ve only ever been there once in my lifetime.”

She scooted over to the passenger side of the truck before leaning against the door, “I guess now is a good time then any to learn how to drive, huh?”