Status: A Tribute

Blood and Roses

Page Three

Snow stood in front of the window overlooking the mountainous barrier around the Capitol. They were in the distance, piercing the midday sky and ever looming. He sipped his wine and looked at the reflection of Ricochet in the window. She was plopped down lazily in an overstuffed armchair, the seams tearing and fabric ripped from her constant picking, a leg slung over an arm of it as she played with a knife. She was working the knife around her adept fingers, twirling and spinning the blade effortlessly as she waited for him to speak. Her long dark brown hair was tied back in a tight bun at the base of her head and her peaked cap resting on the knee over the arm of the chair. Ever relaxed.

Snow looked back out over the mountains. "The Quarter Quell is approaching," he stated absently and Ricochet lifted her eyes off the blade in her hand for a split moment before going back to what she was doing. Which to her, was nothing. "Are you going to help me think of a theme this year or be completely useless again?" he asked almost in a teasing manner. Ricochet lifted her eyes to him and snatched the blade from the air after tossing it up. He turned to look at her as she stated in response,

"My job isn't to help you do yours, Mr President, my job is to make sure the hundreds of people that want you dead fail."

"If I wanted your job description, dear girl, I would have asked for it," he replied walking over to his large desk as her lips twitched in an amused smile. Snow sat in his own lavish chair and poured over the proposed maps for the new arena. It was truly a master piece but he was curious as to why Ricochet never showed interest in the arenas or creating of the Games. He wondered if she ever really watched them as they played on in the background of her home. They played for her as well, as they did District wide, in every home for every year, but he was pretty sure Ricochet would often find better things to do with her time. Or perhaps she critiqued every move of every Tribute and ranked them accordingly in her head. "As you know, the Quarter Quell in a very important time for us," he started finishing his wine and looking at the serpent across the room from him. She bounced a foot and went about picking at her nails with her blade. :Tell me, dear girl, what things do you remember most about the Games?"

"The Victors," she replied coolly. "Nothing else matters, it's all about the Victors." Snow studied her as he teased,

"Are you a fan of young Finnick Odair, Ricochet?" Ricochet gave him a deadpanned look, void of any emotion except mild annoyance.

"He won the Games because women of the Capitol swooned every time he so much as breathed, he's hardly a contender for Victors of true prowess," she muttered and Snow studied her. The Serpent of Three, picking at the underside of her nails without a care in the world, bored with life and its droll. An idea struck him and he leaned on his desk.

"Thank you, Ricochet, you have inspired me," he told her and she looked up at that, confusion fluttering in those yellow-green eyes. "This year the Quell will be exercised by true prowess, Victors," he said blue eyes dancing and Ricochet arched a fine brow at that with a considering look. "And you."

"Me?" she asked truly interested now. Snow nodded and leaned back in his chair, lacing his fingers together as he considered her. He liked her, she was an excellent soldier and a superb guard, but the Capitol would absolutely love to see their little snake back in her element- and it would give him a chance to rid Panem of Katniss Everdeen for good. There would not be another mishap this year, he would not be played again.

"I'll make the announcement after the Victor's visit, once I speak to the Gamemaker," he told her and then waved his hand. "Now go get something pretty on, I have a surprise for you."

"A surprise, sir?" she asked sheathing her knife at her thigh and standing. Snow nodded and then smiled that fatherly smile he often gave the woman.

"Did you think I'd forget? It's your birthday, dear girl! I have quite the celebration planned so go put on your best dress," he told her amused by her surprise. Was she really another year older? Had a year just gone by so soon?

Ricochet nodded slowly and tried to process everything that had happened. Snow implied she was to be back in the Games AND he was throwing her a party. No doubt with every elite personnel in Panem. She put her fist over heart and bowed to Snow as he nodded to her and she turned to leave. "Oh and Ricochet?" he called once she opened the door. Ricochet glanced over her shoulder to him, "Not a word of this to anyone." She gave a curt nod and headed down the hall towards her apartment in Snow's estate.

As she walked, the idea sank into her mind and a smile tugged at her lips.

I'm going back in, she thought and then she grinned. I'm going back in.