Favor

Chapter 1

It was September 19, 2015, a lukewarm Saturday night filled to the brim with excitement for the Homecoming dance. In most cities, homecoming wasn't that important or big of an event. But in my city, Flynn Dale, every school dance was always blown out of proportion. If an middle school's valentine's day dance looked like prom, then prom looked like the President's inauguration.

Flynn Dale has always been a rich city, who could afford to have a uniquely designed fountain in every neighborhood park, and still have money left over to keep the local enforcement up to date with their protection tactics and weapons. No one knew where or how Flynn Dale kept their money, but no one but the crazies every spent that long wondering. Our city's motto was "Embrace what's given" and so that's what everyone did, without question.

This years homecoming themes was pastel. I wasn't exactly sure who had made pastel into a theme, but like everyone else in my school, I didn't question it. I just went out, bought my sea-foam hi low hem dress, pastel blue heels with the bows on the sides and waited for my date to show.

Like many kids who are just entering high school, I didn't have a boyfriend yet. But I did however, have a good friend named Greg who was more than willing to be my date for the dance. It's not as though, a date was required for the event--this wasn't prom after all--but I still didn't want to go to the dance by myself. And since everyone would automatically assume that we were together anyway, why not go with the flow?

Greg never showed up. And after crying on the couch for an hour, I accepted my dad's continuous offers to just drive me there, and as soon as we arrived I marched in to see Greg slow dancing with some twelfth grader on the stupid pastel tiled floor.

I wasn't jealous or anything, but I didn't appreciate the fact that Greg either forgot me or just decided not to show. I decided right then and there that no matter what the boy had to say, that he was not my friend anymore. A little immature, I know, but I highly value commitment.

With my mood thoroughly dampened, I sat a nearby long table and watched everyone have the time of their lives. Yes, I could have just gotten up and started having fun as well, but I had arrived late to the party, and now everyone was in their little groups. Save for one girl, a dainty and gorgeous blond haired girl who was wearing a light blue dress, and was currently hopping towards my table, barefoot. Her equally light blue heels were hanging by their straps in her hand, and one shoe's heel was split in two.

I watched the girl whimper and stare woefully at her shoes for a few minutes, before taking mine off and holding them over the table. The girl glanced up with surprise, but her sad face soon brightened when she interpreted my gesture.

"Oh thank you! Thanks so much!" She squealed, dropping her shoes on the floor and slipping mine on to her feet. "It's a perfect fit! Thanks again!" She cried and glided off into the crowd.

I left the party then, as I didn't see anything going for me there, and waited outside until my father came to get me. He was a little upset about the shoes, but got over it when I reasoned with him saying that I wouldn't have worn them after today anyway. I was more of a sandals type of girl, I saw no reason to stand any taller than I already was.

I didn't expect my good deed to be completely forgotten, I expected the girl to write me a nice note or hug me or something along those lines. What I didn't expect was for her to grace me with her friendship and thoroughly change my life forever.