Return to Me

The Tesseract

Nick Fury arrives at a remote research facility during an evacuation. His helicopter lands, the door slides open and he comes out.

" How bad is it?" Nick Fury asked through his earpiece. Agent Phil Coulson was walking down a hall as Agents packed things up.

" That's the problem, sir. We don't know." Coulson answered. He stopped where he was to talk to Fury.

" Dr. Selvig read an energy surge from the Tesseract four hour ago." Coulson continued.

" NASA didn't authorize Selvig to test the Tesseract." Nick Fury replied. He walked into the building where Agent Mariah Hill was.

" He wasn't testing it, he wasn't even in the room. Spontaneous advancement."

" It just turned itself on?" Mariah asked through her earpiece.

" What are the reading levels now?" Nick Fury asked. Coulson continued to walk down the hall.

" Climbing. When Selvig couldn't shut it down, we ordered the evac."

" How long to get everyone out?"

" Campus should be clear in the next half hour."

" Do better." Nick Fury ordered. He walked alongside Mariah Hill as they walked down some stairs.

" Sir, evacuation maybe futile." Mariah commented. Mariah walked behind Nick Fury then they continued to walk down the stairs.

" We should tell them to go back to sleep?"

" If we can't control the Tesseract's energy, there may not be a minimum safe distance."

" I need you to make sure that phase 2 prototypes are shipped out." Nick Fury added.

Mariah stopped then said," Sir, is that really a priority right now?" Mariah questioned. Nick Fury looked at Mariah in a serious way.

" Until such time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on. Clear out the tech below. Every piece of phase 2 on a truck and gone."

" Yes, sir."

Nick Fury enters the lab facility where the Tesseract is being held and walks over to Doctor Erik Selvig.

" Talk to me, doctor." Nick Fury said. Selivg turned to Nick Fury with a natural expression.

" Director." Selivg called back.

" Is there anything we know for certain?"

" Tesseract is misbehaving."

" Is that supposed to be funny?"

" No, it's not funny at all. The Tesseract is not only active, she's...misbehaving." Selivg explained. Up on the railings Agent Clint Barton watched as Nick Fury and Selivg talked.

A shadow rose over him then said, " Hey Clint, what are you doing?" The voice asked. Clint glanced at the voice then reconized it right away.

" I'm just watching that's all Agent Flyer." Clint answered looking back at Nick Fury and Selivg. Agent Melissa Flyer walked over beside her Boyfriend, placing her hand ontop of his making Clint look at her with a smile.

Clint looks at Melissa then said, " I was wondering once this is all over, would you go on a date?" Clint asked. Melissa smiled at him. The two had been together for 3 months and nothing would seperate them except for their work. Melissa had on a outfit similar to Clint's but with sleeves, heeled boots and more femine. She also had a bow and Quiver just like his since she was good at archer as well.

" Yes I would love too." Melissa answered shyly. Clint pulled back a strain of her blonde hair behind her ear making Melissa blush.

" Your cute when you blush ya know." Clint complimented. Melissa giggled at his comment, he placed his hand on her check and stroked it with his thumb. She rested her head in his hand closing her eyes and sighing. She placed her hand ontop of his and rubbed small circles with her thumb. Suddenly Clint got a call from Nick Fury through his ear piece.

" Agent Barton, report to me." Nick Fury ordered. Clint removed his hand from Melissa's cheek making her frown. Clint just smirked at her.

" I'll be back." Clint promised. He gave her a quick kiss before reporting to Nick Fury.

" I gave you this detail so you could keep a close eye on things." Nick Fury said.

"Well I see better from a distance."

One of the NASA scientist saw the readings from the Tesseract." Doctor, it's spiking again." The scientist informed. Selivg went over and looked at the readings.

" No one's come or gone. It's oven is clean. No contacts, no I.M.'s. If there was any tampering, sir, it wasn't at this end." Clint added. Nick Fury and Clint walked over infront of the Tesseract. Melissa sighed then exited the lab to go help Mariah out.

" At this end?" Nick Fury questioned. Clint crossed his arms then looked at

" Yeah, the cube is a doorway to the other end of space, right? The doors open from both sides." Clint replied. suddenly the Tesseract is activated and opens a portal through space, from which Loki steped through. Nick Fury and all the agents draw their guns and aim it at Loki.

" Sir, please put down the spear!" Nick Fury ordered. Loki looks at his spear then suddenly points it at where Fury and Clint are standing and shoots out a blue exploding light towards them. They move out the way and the agents start firing, but Loki kills some of them. As Clint tries to kill Loki, Loki grabs Clint's hand.

" You have heart." Loki said. Loki points the head of his spear at Clint's heart and uses his ability to control Clint's mind. While Loki is busy using his abilities to control the minds of several S.H.I.E.L.D. personnel, Nick Fury takes the Tesseract and tries to leave the lab.

" Please don't. I still need that." Loki said camly. Nick Fury stops in his tracts then looks at Loki.

" This doesn't have to get any messier."

" Of course it does. I've come too far for anything else. I am Loki of Asgard, and I am burdened with glorious purpose." Loki replied. Selivg looked at Loki with a shocked expression.

" Loki? Brother of Thor?" Selivg asked.

" We have no quarrel with your people."

" An ant has no quarrel with a boot." Loki said sarcasticly.

" You planning to step on us?"

" I come with glad tidings, of a world made free."

" Free from what?"

" Freedom. Freedom is life's great lie. Once you accept that, in your heart..." Loki began. He turns to face Selvig who's standing behind him and places his spear against Selvig's heart and takes over his mind. " You will know peace."

" Yeah, you say peace, I kind of think you mean the other piece."

Clint walks over beside Loki," Sir, Director Fury is stalling. This place is about to blow. Drop a hundred feet of raw material, he means to bury us." Clint informed.

" Like The Pharaohs of Odin."

" He's right, the portal is collapsing in on itself. You got maybe two minutes before this goes critical."

" Drop him." Loki ordered. Clint shoots at Fury who falls to the ground, Clint grabs the case containing the Tesseract and leaves the lab with Loki, Selvig and the other S.H.I.E.L.D personnel Loki is controlling. Loki, Clint, Selvig and the other S.H.I.E.L.D personnel are in the parking lot of the facility. Mariah and Melissa watch as they walk by.

" Clint are you alright?" Melissa asked. Melissa walked over to him. " I heared something and thought you got hurt."

" I'm fine Melissa. Now let's go." Clint ordered. He grabbed her by the arm softly and lead her to the car. " Need these vehicles."

" Who's that?" Mariah asked.

" He didn't tell me." Clint lied. Mariah looks suspiciously at them as they get into the truck and turns to leave, as she's walking away.

Nick Fury shouts through the walkie talkie. " Hill, do you copy? Barton is..."

Suddenly Mariah turns to shoot at Clint but Clint is already pointing his gun at her and starts shooting, Melissa notices and squirms to get her arm from his grip.

" Let go!" Melissa yelled. Clint knocks Melissa out then he moves to drivers seat of the truck and drives off as Mariah keeps shooting.

" He's got the Tesseract! Track it down!" Nick Fury ordered. Mariah gets into a truck and follows after Barton's truck. Melissa becomes consious again and looks around her surroundings.

" Let me go right now!" Melissa ordered. She squirmed in her seat and noticed she had something wrapped around her hands. Melissa had a hairclip in her hand and carefully picked the locks for both so she could get her hands free. They were still getting chase by Mariah, bullets flew the window. Melissa finally got her hands free and one of her hands clenched the door handel making door come open. They had made it outside and Nick Fury was going to shoot at them. Clint noticed the door open and tried grabbing her but she jumped out of the car rolling down a hill. after the research facility has collapsed, Nick Fury and Mariah try to chase after Loki but fail to catch him. He escaped with the briefcase containing the Tesseract;

They talked through their walkie talkie's," Director? Director Fury, do you copy?" Coulson repeated.

" The Tesseract is with the hostile force. I have men down. Hill?" Nick Fury said. Mariah got out of her car that was under the rubble.

" A lot of men still under, don't know how many survivors. I have no idea where Melissa is." Mariah replied. Melissa turned on her Walkie Talkie, they could hear her coughing.

" I'm here Mariah. I got kidnapped but made it out of there..." Melissa began.

" You could have lead us too them!" Nick Fury yelled angrily.

" I'm sorry Sir, I knew what Loki could do to me and I didn't want to take that risk. I also sprained and possibly broke somethings in my body though in the progress." Melissa added.

" Sound the general call, I want every living soul not needing rescue looking for that briefcase."

" Roger that." Mariah said. Melissa just nodded and walked back to Clint's car.

" Coulson, get back to base. This is a level seven. As of right now, we are at war."

" What do we do?" Coulson asked. Melissa got into the car, put the key into the ignitor and turned the car on.

Melissa sighed driving off in the car back to S.H.I.E.L.D Helicarrier. " Hang on Clint. I'll get you out of this I promise."
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you liked this chapter. I tried my best to get some of the Avengers movie actions right but I tried. This is a ClintxOC fanfic, this will hopefully be a series and proablly be a Sequal to this too. But let's just focus on this story. I don't own Marvel, Clint or the Avengers or anything except my OC.