Status: WIP

I'll Be There for You

TWO

At her place, they took the stairs to the fourth floor. Room number 4-221B. She unlocked the door. Both of them entered. She closed the door then locked it.

"Make yourself at home," she said spreading her arms. He looked around as she disappeared in to her room. She shed her combat clothes. She stood in nothing but a matching black and red bra-panty set. She grabbed a pair of blue jeans from her closet.

She slipped those on. She went to her dresser and grabbed a maroon Beatles shirt. Once that was on, she let down her hair. She ran her fingers through her hair. She went to the bathroom.

She made her way to the living room, a little later. "Ready?" she asked. He looked up from a picture frame he was holding. Her brown eyes sparkled. He put the frame down.

"You look...amazing." She flashed him a full smile. She joined him by the table. She looked at the one he had been holding. "That's a favorite of mine.

Mum and I. Dad took the picture. Mum had just had back surgery a month before. She was given more mobility afterwards. Never seen her so happy than that day."

Barton looked back at the photo. She put her hands in her pockets. He saw a picture of her, her mother, and...her father? He stared at the picture. "Let's get going and I'll answer your questions while we eat," she said.

He looked at her. She frowned. He nodded. They left her place. It was a ride of silence.

She pulled up to Old House Pub & Kitchen. A favorite of hers. Both exited the vehicle. She locked it, then walked towards the entrance. He hurried to open the door for her.

She offered a weak smile, She walked in then chose a booth in the back. He followed. She ordered a glass of water and a bottle of Murphy's Ale. He ordered a Murphy's as well.

The server left. Max crossed her left leg over het right leg. The server returned with their drinks. Max ordered fish and chips. Barton ordered a cheese burger and fries.

Max took a drink of the water. "The gears in your mind are seriously loud," she said with a small smile. He looked up at her.

She looked him in the eyes. They were a grayish blue color now. She met him less than an hour ago and she was about to tell him her story.

"I'm adopted," she started off. "My biological father was abusive. To me and my mother. When I was about eight, my mother managed to get me away. My parents now, my biological mother knew through friends.

With help from an ex-Marine, my name was changed to Maxine Braddock. My former name was Bonnie Anderson. I was named after Bonnie Parker. I never knew she was until I was older.

To this day, I still don't know why I was named after a criminal. My adoptive parents, Vivienne and Howard, said I was more of a Maxine. It took them a while for me to warm up to them. Especially Howard. It wasn't until someone tried to mug us, that I reached wouldn't hurt me.

He shielded me from the bad guy. Of course he got injured, but I was saved. When we were allowed to go home, I surprised them and myself by hugging him. From then on, we were a happy family. No matter what.

They helped me overcome my obstacles. Sure I still have nightmares, here and there. But I remember that I have them. Wouldn't change it for the world." Their food had been delivered.

She ate a chip. "But I still think about my biological mother. If she escaped. If...If she..." She trailed off, not really able to say it. He looked at her solemnly.

He offered up his own personal story. How his parents were killed in a car accident. How he and his brother ran away to join the circus. About becoming a skilled archer. That being an archer, helped him become stronger.