Status: Hope you enjoy!

The Chosen One

Run Don't Walk

Kelly stood next to the shiny black Mercedes in the nearly empty parking lot outside the Riverside Hotel in New Orleans, Louisiana. She had made it through the night, surprisingly. The way Klaus talked last night she hadn’t expected to wake up at all.
“Where are we going?” she asked Elijah who had opened the passenger door for her. Rebekah was off shopping and Klaus was hopefully somewhere far away.
Elijah chuckled softly “Home. Did you think we lived in a crummy hotel?” he flashed her a smile.
She pursed her lips “Well, I had hoped not” she slipped into the car. The seats were made of black leather and smelt mouthwateringly amazing. The expensive cologne in the hotel must have belonged to Elijah.
He drove smoothly down the road, the car gliding through the twists and turns of the mossy groves. She had never been farther south than northern Kentucky and the different terrain fascinated her. She didn’t even realize Elijah was talking to her until he raised his voice.
“What?” Kelly jumped, looking at him with wide, russet colored eyes.
Elijah smiled crookedly “I asked you how you’re feeling”
She felt her cheeks heat up “Oh. I’m fine” she lied. The truth was she couldn’t get that face out of her mind. Had she imagined that part? It couldn’t be possible for someone to look like that. He drank a woman’s blood; he was so far stronger than anyone she’d ever met. What was he?
“You’re lying” he said calmly, his eyes on her rather than the road.
Kelly looked over at him, meeting his eyes “Your point?” she let out an exasperated sigh.
Elijah was quiet for a moment, letting silence fill the car. The only sound was the gentle purr of the engine. “I’m sorry this happened. I never intended for it to”
“Why did it?” she kept her eyes ahead to keep her emotions in check.
He sighed, thinking carefully of how to answer “It’s… complicated, Kelly. My sister thought she was doing a good thing in bringing you here. She didn’t think of the negative consequences in her actions.”
“But why am I here” Kelly felt he was beating around the bush.
“How about we talk all about it at dinner? We’ll go to the house and I will answer all of the questions you have”
Kelly sighed crossing her arms “Alright deal. How long until we get there?” she asked just as he pulled onto a long narrow drive that soon turned from smooth asphalt to a brick road that she had seen in older towns that hadn’t yet been updated by society. They pulled up to the mansion at the end of the cobbled road, her jaw dropping in shock. The white mansion in front of them stood tall with three stories, and massive pillars holding up the large porch made of old oak. The designs outside were astonishing in its self, she couldn’t even imagine what the inside looked like.
“Whoa…” her expression must have struck Elijah funny, because she could hear him chuckling as he shut the engine off and got out.
“What’s ours is yours for as long as you’re here” he said when she finally got a grip and came back
“And how long is that exactly?” she cocked a dark elegant eyebrow.
Elijah pursed his lips as he locked the doors “Get inside” he said softly, not answering her question. So she did, walking past the pillars and wrapping her fingers around the iron door handle, she eased the door open. It was surprisingly light for its size.
The front entrance hall seemed colossal to her little eyes. She hadn’t seen much in her life, but this was by far the prettiest home she had ever been in. The deep oak floors, the mahogany wall paneling, the rich burnt caramel color of the door frames were so much to take in. She felt almost blinded as she walked into the area that must have been the living room. White was the feature color, with a majestic marble fireplace in the corner. Even with the intense color changes it all seemed to flow and mesh together like art. Abstract perhaps, but art.
“What do you think?” a voice sounded behind her.
Kelly jumped and turned, looking up at Klaus who had walked silently in after her. She hesitated on her answer, looking at him. The last time she saw him he had thrown her to the ground in anger.
“It’s, okay…” she shrugged
Klaus raised an eyebrow “Just okay? This mansion is centuries old; a tad updated yes, but a part of history. Do you like history?” he asked waltzing past her.
She watched him, anger bubbling inside her “Cut the crap. I’m not afraid of you so don’t you dare try and intimidate me”
He was at her in a split second, but she held her ground, willing herself not to flinch.
“Is that so?” his face distorted into the demon face she had been so frightened of before.
Her heart thrummed rapidly against her ribs “Yes”, she finally answered in a small, but strong voice. She could feel the danger wafting off of him, relieved when Elijah placed a hand on her shoulder
“I’ll show you to your room” he said softly, leading her away from the intensity of Klaus’ gaze “I am sorry about him. You should never be alone with him” they started up a massive staircase.
“He doesn’t scare me. If he was going to hurt me he would have already done it. Why wait?”
“Niklaus has his own way of doing things. I suggest you to stay away from him for a little while until he gets used to the idea of you being here”
She glanced over at him “You say that like… I’m never going home again…”
Elijah said nothing as they walked down a long corridor and into the room she would be staying in. Kelly walked in and turned to face him
“Why won’t you answer me, Elijah?” she’d never called him by his name before and it gave her a sort of thrill.
He looked at her for a moment before responding with “Supper is at seven o’clock in the dining room. Do not be late” he closed the door on her, leaving her to herself.
Kelly had to take a deep breath to calm down before she could even think to look around at the room. The bed was a king size, five times bigger than her bed at home. There was a thick silky comforter and not ratty old blankets checkered in moth holes. Now it was time for the fun part; finding something to do before seven.
She paced for quite some time before sitting down on the stool at the foot of the bed. Resting her head against her knees she listened to the tick tick tick of the wall clock. Time seemed to slow into mind numbing agony. Before Kelly knew it she was falling asleep. It wasn’t until a grandfather clock tolled in the corner that she slipped off the footstool and fell onto the floor in shock. She looked around the dark room, got to her feet and fumbled for the light switch. The light was blinding. She looked to the time and sighed, twelve o’clock midnight “Great” she muttered.
Cracking the door open she slipped through the gap and slowly headed down the stairs. If her footsteps didn’t give her away then her growling stomach would. She was so famished the hunger gnawed painfully in her ribcage.
A clattering of dishes and silverware could be heard from the dining room. She walked into the massive hall and saw people, who seemed to be servants, polishing the spoons and forks at the end of the long table. There were two of them, a woman with ivory skin and caramel colored hair, and a man with dark skin and from what she could tell a shaved head. They didn’t look at her as she entered, they didn’t move, they just continued to rub into the silverware with white cloths.
“Hello?” Kelly asked looking at them, not just for food, but for the fact that they made her curious. Were servants really like this? She wouldn’t know obviously, coming from white trailer trash.
They both looked up in unison, eyes wide, almost in fear. The woman slowly rose to her feet and went to Kelly, speaking softly “I’m sure you’re very hungry, and I’m sorry, but Klaus gave clear orders that if you are unable to be at dinner on time then you will not be able to eat at all tonight” she seemed so frightened to be speaking, as if Kelly would hit her or something.
“Oh. That’s fine, I’m not hungry anyways” her stomach gave a loud growl, revealing her feign attempt at fibbing.
The girl pursed her lips and looked back to the man who had gone back to polishing. She looked back to Kelly and tapped her ear, pointing to the ceiling before placing her finger to her lips signaling them to be quiet. She took Kelly by the hand and lead her to the back kitchen where there would be left overs. Finding a small counter the girl quickly prepared a small dinner for Kelly.
Kelly smiled at her generosity “Thank you” she mouthed as she pulled up two chairs and gestured for her to sit down with her. She did hesitantly and starred at the table as Kelly ate slowly, savoring each bite. She had never had such fine food before, and these were just left-overs.
She pursed her lips looking at her “What’s your name?” she whispered softly.
The girl looked up and glanced at the door before whispering back “Carmen”
Kelly smiled, opening her mouth to say something more when another scarily familiar voice interrupted her.
“Isn’t this lovely?” Klaus’s voice was sarcastic.
Kelly and Carmen shot up and turned to him, Carmen side stepped away from Klaus in pure fear.
Klaus let out a sigh “I guess it’s true what they say. You can’t find good help these days. Carmen, love, come here” he motioned her with his finger. She did slowly, keeping her head down. Klaus growled impatiently and started walking to her, fists clenched.
Without hesitating Kelly jumped in front of Carmen, a scowl plastered on her face “Don’t you touch her”
Klaus stopped mid-step and stared at her “Move aside, girl”
“You hurt her, and I swear I’ll…”
He cut her off “You’ll what? Kill me?” he grabbed a fistful of Kelly’s hair and threw her to the ground. He then snatched Carmen by the throat and just like that her head was rolling across the linoleum, hitting Kelly’s foot.
Kelly let out a horrible scream that turned to nothing but forced air. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she scrambled back against a counter. Klaus kicked the lifeless body aside and went to Kelly, kneeling down next to her.
“My brother isn’t here this time. If I want, I can punish you very severely.” He let out a sigh and looked her over; she was still staring in horror at Carmen’s head on the ground lying next to her body. “Are you afraid of me now, love?”
Kelly didn’t answer; she was too busy choking on her own tears. She didn’t watch as he got up and left the room, leaving her and Carmen’s decapitated body alone.
♠ ♠ ♠
I almost got angry myself after what Klaus did.