Status: I've been criticized by people claiming that this is just a knockoff of The Walking Dead, but it is an entirely different story with different characters.

Infection X

Something Worth Fighting for

INFECTION X

Written by Dylan Breen

FADE IN: (A group of doctors operate on a patient.)

Doctor #1
We’re losing him!! We’re losing him!!

(The doctor gives the patient rounds of CPR, which fail. The doctor stops and steps back looking at the heart monitor disappointedly.)

Doctor#1 (sighs)
Time of death… one pm on the fifth of October…

(The other doctors begin to remove the patient from the operating table when the body begins to slowly move.)

Doctor#2
Wait! He just moved!

Doctor#1
What?

(The doctor examines the moving body. The eyes open and the patient begins to groan and squirm around. The doctors all step back in alarm horrified. The patient sits up and lurches forward taking a bite out of one of the doctors.)

SCREEN TO BLACK: Screaming, more zombie groans

TWENTY-FOUR HOURS LATER:

Unknown
It’s been 24 hours since the virus broke out. I don’t know what’s going on but if anyone out there can hear me, don’t leave your homes, lock your doors and turn off all of the lights so they won’t see you. Zombies groaning in distance

(Camera close up on eye. Character lays uncomfortably in the backseat of a car. A bag is full of canned food that is piled heavily. Character stares up at the car’s ceiling. He slowly brings himself up from the seat, looking out the window, then a frightening zombie strikes the window scaring him half to death. His sister is jolted awake in the trunk.)

Victoria
David!

David
Victoria it’s okay! It’s only one!

Victoria
For now!

(David reaches into the trunk to hold her hand. He can see inconsolable fear shaking in her eyes, the fear that has been like cement that cannot be cracked no matter how much you hit it with an axe. More zombies strike the glass windows at both sides.)

David
Victoria breathe! Stay calm! It’s all going to be okay! We’ve survived this long haven’t we? Five months!

Victoria
Barely! David we’ve been running from place to place searching for refugee, which there obviously is none! We’re out of fuel and there’s nowhere left to go! Look at them David, they are vicious, mindless savages and they are never going to stop!

(David stares perturbed at the glass, knowing that it will not hold forever)

David
Victoria… We need to make a run for it.

Victoria
Run? Where is there to run? We’re trapped!

(David rummages through a bag a takes two pistols out)

David
This is how we run.

Victoria
But they’re on both sides we can’t--

David
Victoria, I need you to really focus and aim for their heads! Even if we impede them for just a moment a moment is all we’ll need to run the hell away!

Victoria
What about our things? We can’t survive without them!

David
We’ll come back for them. But now we need to stay alive.

Victoria
Okay!

David
Okay, ONE, TWO, THREE!

(All zombies from their front side drop to the ground. In the near distance a tall teenage boy stands with a rifle. The zombies from the other side of the car approach him, which he easily shoots one by one without flinching. David and Victoria stare at the boy in awe, engulfed in disbelief and relief. The boy comes toward them, David and Victoria get out of the car.)

Evan
You two seem to have gotten yourselves stuck between a rock and a… well, a bunch of zombies.

David (laughing in relief)
My friend, I could not have said that any better myself.

Evan
So what brings you two?

David
Well I’ll tell you one thing, it’s not the wind.

Victoria
We’ve been running for months. We live—well used to live a few neighborhoods away, but it got overrun the moment this all began.

David
I’m David, this is Victoria.

Evan
Nice to meet you, I’m Evan.

(Evan looks around, a few more zombies in the distance)

Evan
Look, um… I know what we don’t know each other, but you’re not going to want to be around when those fellas come.

(David and Victoria both glance at each other unsure)

David
Are you inviting us into your house?

Evan
Well… yeah. I’m only assuming that you wouldn’t prefer to hop back into the car.

(David looks to Victoria)

Victoria
How do we know that you’re not a psycho or cannibal?

Evan
If I were a psycho, I think I think I would have watched you both die and laughed. And if I were a cannibal I would be eating you both right now. (pause) Look, it’s up to you whether or not you want to trust me. I’ve got a house full of food, warmth and security. You both look like you could use some rest.

(A few moments of silence pass of Victoria and David eyeing each other as if telepathically. Then David turns to the car)

David
I guess I’ll get what little stuff we have.

(David grabs a bag full of canned beans)

CUT TO: LIVING ROOM

(David and Victoria sit comfortably on the couch resting. Evan brings them some food and sits down.)

David
Thank you for this, we really appreciate your insistency for strangers.

Evan
Hey, thank you. I’ve been alone here for the past five months. Do you know what that can do to a person?

Victoria
It’s scary isn’t it? Being alone when the dead rise?

Evan
I must say, I’d rather watch this all in a movie.

David
So what’s your story? What happened to your family?

Evan
Both of my parents were bitten, they turned, they bit my sister, she turned, and I was the last man standing. I had to take ‘em all out.

Victoria
I’m very sorry. Our parents went on a trip to California before this all started. We don’t know if they’re still alive.

David
Yeah, ever since technology went down the drain it’s like we went right back to the stone age.

Evan
You guys have no other family living here?

Victoria
We don’t know where they are or if they’re alive either. What about you?

Evan
I have family in Atlanta, but that city is probably overrun.

David
How old are you?

Evan
Seventeen

David
I’m seventeen and she’s sixteen.

Evan
I was planning on joining the army in 8 months when I turn eighteen. Except now there’s no army left to join.

David
Well, if I’d have to choose anyone to be with during an apocalypse, it’d definitely be a guy who was ready to join a war.
Evan
I won’t act like it’s been easy. After the virus went viral I had to stock up fast and load up on guns.

David
How many have you got?

Evan
five handguns, one rifle and enough ammo to last for months. I figure that when I run out I’ll use knives until I find more.

Victoria
Knives are better for killing zombies anyway.

Evan
Exactly, so I don’t fire when I don’t need to and I sure as hell don’t waste bullets.

David
So do you think there’s a chance of fixing this thing?

Evan (sighs and thinks for a moment)
I don’t know man… its gotten way too ugly out there to be auspicious. We can’t fix something that we’re blind to. And even if we did know what caused this, it’d be too abstruse to pick a part and solve. It’s like an x, there’s something out there that belongs to it but we just can’t find it. And it’s growing faster and faster every day. Consuming all that's left of society, of the world. It’s evolution of the undead and we can’t stop it.

David
Look I know it’s bad out there but we’ve been listening to the radio and there are still people broadcasting out there. People who are counting down the days till they find a cure.

Evan
There are zero days till they find a cure.

Victoria
That’s not true! There are scientists and doctors who are still out there. Maybe they’re aren’t laboratories full of them but people are still trying. They have hope that things can get better!

Evan
I’m sorry, but on my end of the radio it’s silent. There’s no hope left. You’ve seen it out there you know how it is. Those people on the radio counting down; they aren’t counting down to anything except the day they decide to give up hope and put a trigger in their mouth.

(David and Victoria both look at each other sullenly.)

Evan (Cont’d)
I know how dangerous it is out there. It’s a different world, you either kill alive or kill dead. Nobody should have to face that alone. You guys can stay here as long as you need.

David
Thank you

Victoria
We really appreciate this. We know how hard it is to trust people nowadays.

Evan
That’s the sad thing, there aren’t many people left, which narrows down your options. But you two are good people, I can tell.

David
Well you were the one who kind of talked us into coming into your house…

Evan
I gently persuaded you.

FADE OUT

FADE IN: NIGHT, LIVING ROOM

(Evan sits on the deck with a book opened drinking a beverage)

David
Hey

Evan
Hey

David
May I join you?

Evan
Take a seat

David
Thanks. Sits Hunger Games?

Evan
Yeah, it’s a good book. Though not exactly your cheery romance novel.

David (chuckles)
Far from it; so we don’t really know each other very well.

Evan
Yeah, (closes the book) so tell me about yourself. You got a girlfriend somewhere out there?

David (chuckles)
No, I haven’t dated in a long time. What about you?

Evan
No. What about Victoria, boyfriend?

David uneasy
Um… she used to. Things… kind of ended badly between them. On the night all of this started I was on the Internet chatting with some of my buddies and all of a sudden I heard screaming from her room. So I ran in and… her boyfriend Nick was attacking her. She was up against the wall pushing him back, so I pulled him off of her, but then he turned around and started attacking me. And I knew him he was an awesome guy. He looked into my eyes… (Long pause)and I knew he was gone. I stabbed him with a pencil, which was the sharpest thing around. But he still kept on coming; it was like I poked him with a small stick, nothing. That’s when I really knew that something was wrong.

Evan (sighs)
That’s really tough man.

David
Yeah and what’s even worse was she thought that it was him really trying to kill her. She spent so much time trying to figure out where she went wrong and I was trying to convince her that that wasn’t him, but I really couldn’t explain what was going on. And the next morning I walked outside and our whole neighborhood had turned into a parade of the dead.

Evan
This world’s gone into a shit hole man. We’re in a pit and nobody can see the surface. But I guarantee you this; (looks him in the eyes) you guys are safe when you’re with me. I know we just met, but if anything ever happens to Victoria, which it won’t, but if, I got your back. The same goes for her.

David
Thank you

Evan
Are you guys good shooters?

David
We’re okay… we’re a bit rusty. No one ever really taught us, we had to learn on our own.

Evan
Tomorrow I’m going teach you both how to do it. I’m going to hit the hay. Night.

David
Night.

FADE OUT

FADE IN: BACKYARD, DAY

Close up and focus on pistol tip

Evan (voiceover)
Aim… focus… SHOOT!

(Gun fires and misses the target.)

Victoria (Frustrated)
UGH! I actually stand a chance with a knife!

David
It’s true. We could be up against ten zombies and she’d take ‘em all out with a few slashes to the head.

Evan
I don’t doubt that.

Victoria
Why are we even using bullets? We have to preserve them don’t we?

Evan
Because I’d rather you use up bullets practicing and hitting the target than being up against a bunch of them and not knowing how to properly shoot.

David
Maybe we should go out and get some real life practice, when we’re better at least.
Evan
That’s the plan. Though we should drive out somewhere else. I don’t want to attract them here with gunfire.

Victoria
Why don’t we just let a few in through the gate?

(Evan looks at David.)

David
I don’t know what you’re looking at me for it’s your call.

Evan
How about this, when you hit the target five times in a row, I’ll open that gate.

Victoria
Fair enough

(Victoria raises her gun, she’s about to pull the trigger when another gun is fired. All of them look around shocked to see where the noise came from. Then they hear a scream.)

Evan
There’s someone out in the street in trouble, C’mon!

David
Victoria stay here!

Victoria
What? No freakin’ way!

David
You’re not a good shooter yet and we don’t have any knives on us right now! STAY!

Evan
DAVID LET’S GO!

CUT TO: STREET

(Zombies surround a young girl who has run out of bullets and is taking them out with a bat. One of them comes up behind and grabs her. She slams it against a car and tries to elbow it and swing it around her side.)

Rachel
HELP PLEASE! HELP!

(David and Evan run out of the house shooting. The zombies start dropping to the ground. The girl throws the zombie behind her to the ground and stabs it in the head.)

Evan
Are you okay?

Rachel (breathing heavily)
I can… barely… breathe…

Evan
David help me get her into the house!

(They both come to her side and help her into the house.)

CUT TO: FRONT DOOR, ENTRANCE

(Evan, David and Rachel walk through the front door. Evan comes in last and locks the door then chain locks it.)

Victoria
Hey! Thank god you guys are all right! Who’s this?

Rachel
My name is Rachel. I was being outrun by a fast group and I couldn’t keep running, I started swinging my baseball bat.

Victoria
Are you okay?

Rachel
Yeah, I’m fine. Your friends really got me out of a jam there.

David
Victoria is my sister.

Rachel
Really?

David
She’s adopted. I was actually surprised you didn’t ask, Evan.

Evan
I didn’t want to offend you. So Rachel, can I get you anything? A glass of water?

Rachel
Yeah, that would be nice. I actually haven’t had much to eat or drink in like fourteen hours… it’s been difficult.

Evan
Oh Christ, please take a seat. What would you like to eat?

Rachel
Do you have anything for a sandwich?

CUT TO:

(They all sit at the table eating lunch.)

Rachel
I was trying to relocate. I’ve been staying inside the cemetery for a few weeks.

David/Evan/Victoria
What?

Rachel
I’ve been camping out in the cemetery.

David
So let me be very clear on this, you thought it was an intelligent idea to go sleep in a graveyard when the dead started rising?

Rachel
The dead who were dead before the virus broke out are dead. They don’t come back it’s just the infected now.

Victoria
Actually, that’s a really clever idea! Why didn’t we think of that?

David
Because you hate cemeteries… and they’re the second creepiest places on Earth?

Victoria
This whole world has turned into a huge cemetery.

Evan
So you’ve been alone this entire time?

Rachel
My friends and I were staying in the refugee center over by Atlantic Pacific.

Victoria
But wasn’t that place overrun a few weeks ago?

Rachel
Yeah… and I was separated from my friends in the panicking crowd. But we have a safe house in Staten Island, I’m sure they’re there right now.

Victoria
How safe is it in Staten Island?

Rachel
Safe enough. If you guys could help me get back to them I’d be grateful.

Evan
You know what, how about we bring them back here? The more the merrier, plus we need as many fighting arms as we can get.

David
You can say that again. (Looking at Victoria)

(Victoria waves her fist to punch him in the arm.)

FADE OUT

FADE IN: STATEN ISLAND, DAY

(Shot of front side of car pulling up. Shots of each character gazing around the area. Different angles of block shown. The block is deserted.)

Rachel
This is the place.

Evan
It’s a pretty deserted area; I’m surprised there aren’t any zombies around.

Rachel
That’s why we chose this place; it’s not the most populated area. It’s one of the safest places to find shelter.

(They all get out of the car and approach the house. They notice what’s left of flesh and bone on the ground. Rachel looks a little alarmed, Victoria notices)

Victoria
Hey, I doubt that’s one of your friends. Maybe they hammered one?

Rachel
Yeah… that’s probably it…

(Rachel walks up to the front door and knocks in a pattern, notifying the people in side that she is alive. Rachel waits for a response, but there is none. She knocks again and waits. Still no response.)

David
Maybe they’re not home?

Rachel
No… they’d be here.

Evan
Just try and open it.

(Rachel turns the nob and the door pushes open. But to everyone’s shock there are zombies standing around in the entrance room. Rachel steps back in horror, Evan quickly slams the door shut. Many bangs follow as the dead pound against it.)

Evan
Shit!

Rachel (frantically)
This doesn’t make any sense! This was supposed to be safe!

David
Well obviously it isn’t! There are probably zombies in all of these houses!

Victoria
Shut up David! You’re not helping! Rachel could your friends have gone somewhere else? Maybe they came here, saw it like this, and went to find somewhere else safe?

Rachel
I… I don’t know…

CUT TO:

(camera pans through the dead inside and up to the den)

Henry
Cassie, did you just hear that?

Cassie
Hear what?

Henry
The zombies downstairs just got rattled up. Do you think someone is here?

Cassie
Probably some people looking for shelter.

(Henry thinks about it for a moment.)

Henry
Cassie?

Cassie
Yeah?

Henry
Do you think there’s a chance that it could be…

Cassie
I thought we lost hope on that.

Henry
I never lost hope.

Cassie
So you really believe that she made it all this way from Brooklyn? With hundreds of zombies around it’s impossible that she made it.

(Henry looks down disappointed.)

Cassie (Cont’d)
I’m sorry Henry. We’ve lost everyone else, George, Michael, Josh… life hasn’t gotten any better for us since we left the refugee center.

Henry
I feel like we let Rachel down by leaving her there.

Cassie
The crowd was chaotic! Zombies storming biting everyone, we got separated. It’s not your fault or mine.

Henry
I know… I just wish we could see her again.

CUT TO:

(Evan tries to pull Rachel away from the door.)

Rachel
I know that they’re in there! GET OFF OF ME!

Victoria
Evan let her go!

(Evan releases Rachel, who waves her fist to punch him in the arm but he catches it.)

Evan
Rachel I’m sorry! But the chance of your friends actually being in there are not good!

Rachel
Fine! You don’t want to help me? FINE! Then go!

(Evan looks at the rest of them deciding, frustrated.)

Evan
Fine. But we don’t have any weapons except guns. And we can’t fire because then we’ll be drawing more in than we can handle. So David, I’ll open the door and we draw them out and lead them away. Victoria you go inside with Rachel and search the place for her friends. We’ll go as far as we can and pray not to run into others.

(Rachel smiles relieved.)

Rachel
Thank you Evan

Evan
Yeah you can thank me later. Get back and hide by the car and as soon as we’re clear go! David go further down over there points and when I open the door start running. I’ll catch up to you and we’ll stay cohesive. Got it?

(They all nod. Victoria and Rachel run to the car and get inside. David jogs ten feet away. Evan prepares to open the door. David notices that he is nervous.)

David
Evan! It’s gonna be alright! I got your back!

(Evan gives a faint smile.)

Evan (nods)
You too man.

(Evan has his hand on the door nob, he turns it and counts.)

Evan
1… 2… 3… RUN!

Evan pushes the door open and runs as fast as he can toward David who begins to run too. The zombies from the inside come storming out groaning loudly. They chase them down the block. Victoria and Rachel bolt out of the car and into the house.)

Rachel
JOSH! CASSIE! HENRY

CUT TO:

(Henry and Rachel hear Rachel’s voice coming from the downstairs. They both look at each other astonished.)

Henry
Just so we’re clear; you hear that too?

(Henry and Cassie get up and rush out of the den. They come to the entrance room and both freeze in shock. Rachel stares at them both in disbelief.)

CUT TO:

(Evan and David are being chased by the zombies. They are both exhausted and losing speed.

David (out of breath)
Evan there gonna get us! We need to start shooting!

Evan (out of breath)
I don’t think I’ve ever agreed on anything more in my life!

(David and Evan draw their pistols and start shooting at the zombies. The zombies begin to drop to the ground.)

CUT TO:

(Cassie and Henry both embrace Rachel tightly both crying.)

Henry
We thought we’d never see you again!

Cassie
I can’t believe it’s really you!

(Rachel looks at both of them engorged in happiness.)

Rachel
I didn’t think I’d find you!

Cassie
How in god’s name did you get here? And who’s this?

Victoria
Hi I’m Victoria! Listen I’m sorry for interrupting this sweet reunion, but we really don’t have time for this, we have to go! My brother and our friend Evan led the group of zombies that was here away. We need to get out of here quickly.

Cassie
Oh my god, Henry! Grab our suitcases quickly!

(Henry dashes back to the den. Rachel finally realizes looking around that their other group members are missing.)

Rachel
Cassie, where’s Josh, George and Michael?

(Cassie looks uneasy, hesitating to answer.)

Cassie
Rachel…

Henry
Got them! Let’s go!

Cassie
I’ll explain later!

Rachel
Explain what? Where are they?

Victoria
Let’s go!

(They all run out but Evan And David are far down. Victoria gets in the car and honks loudly. Evan and David hear it and look at each other.)

David
I think that’s our ride, we need to go back!

Evan
And in good timing, I just ran out of rounds!

David
What are the odds that we had the same amount of rounds and fired the same amount of times?

Evan
I’d sum it up to sum pretty bad luck!

(The zombies remaining get closer.)

David
What do we do?

(Evan thinks for a second and looks at his pistol.)

Evan
Uhh… Run and start making a bat out of a bullet chamber!

(Evan and David make a run for it, bashing heads in with a their pistols.
The rest of them wait by the car worried. Rachel questions Cassie and Henry about their missing friends.)

Rachel
Where are they?

Cassie
We’ll explain later when we’re safe!

Rachel
Explain now!

Evan (running up from the distance)
HEY!! GET THE CAR RUNNING!!

(Evan and David sprint as the remaining few dead gain on them. Victoria, Rachel, Cassie and Henry rush into the car. Victoria gets the car running, David and Evan finally make it and get in the car. They drive away.)

FADE OUT

FADE IN: DECK, DAY

(Rachel and Cassie are alone on the deck.)

Rachel
So are you going to finally tell me where they are?

Cassie
Rachel, when we first got to the house Josh kept insisting that we go back to find you. We all wanted to but… we just…

Rachel
Thought I was dead?

(Cassie nods shamefully)

Cassie
The first week that we were there everything was fine. There was no danger; we finally felt like were safe. But Josh… he became inconsolable. One day three weeks ago, he had a breakdown and stormed outside and began shooting at everything. Then a herd came through and he was outnumbered and out of bullets…

(Tears slowly drip from Rachel’s eyes.)

Cassie (Cont’d)begins to cry
The zombies… They got him… and then they came inside the house and…

(Rachel breaks down hysterically crying into Cassie’s arms.
Cassie stops talking and embraces her crying too.)

Cassie
I’m so sorry!

CUT TO:

(David, Evan and Victoria sit in the living room. All of them exhausted.)

Henry
I really have to thank you guys for coming to our rescue like that.

Evan
It was our pleasure, the more the merrier.

Henry
How’d you guys know we were in there? The house was crawling with the zombies.

Evan
We didn’t, in fact we almost left… I’m sor—

Henry
Don’t be. Hell if I found a house crowded with zombies I would’ve run in the other direction. But you guys didn’t. Which makes you braver than I am.

David
So you guys stayed in that house full of zombies for weeks?

Henry
It wasn’t full of them when we got there, but there was an incident. That’s when we lost the other three people, including Rachel’s boyfriend. He was the first one to go.

Victoria
Do you think Rachel is going to be okay?

Henry
Josh and Rachel were together for five years. They were inseparable; an apple pie at it’s sweetest.

David
And what do you think happens when an apple pie goes bad?

Henry
That’s what I’m worried about.

FADE OUT

FADE IN: LIVING ROOM, NIGHT

(David sits at the table, it’s late at night and he can’t sleep. Henry comes out of his room.)

Henry
You can’t sleep either?

David
It’s tough to sleep with one eye open. You never know if a zombie’s gonna come knocking for a midnight snack.

Henry
So I hear victoria and you are siblings, she’s adopted right?

David
Yeah, my parents adopted her when I was ten and she was nine. Both her parents died in a car crash during a rainstorm.

Henry
Damn, I’m sorry to hear that.

David
Isn’t it kind of strange to remember a mundane time when people died from car crashes and normal sickness? Not bites or being eaten alive?

Henry
Yeah, it is.

David
So what happened to your family?

Henry
They’re out there right now. I didn’t have the stomach to put them down so I ran. I mean, how do you just point a gun at your mother or father’s head and shoot? It’s just so inhumane.

David
If anything has changed, it’s the definition of being human. When the corpses started waking up people freaked out all around and started shooting everybody, even those who were alive.

Henry
How the hell did this even happen? We wake up one day and we know exactly what’s going to happen after we die. Except there’s no bright lights and angels. Just a mindless crave for flesh.

David
You remember learning about the black plague in ninth grade?

Henry
Yeah, some people have compared that epidemic to this one.

David
It’s similar, except I extremely doubt that a bunch of dirty rats crawled inside a few corpses and turned the light switch back on.

Henry
They cured the black plague eventually. Maybe they’ll be able to cure this? Maybe it’s not immutable?

David
We can only hope that enough people survive to make that possible.

Henry
Hey, maybe we could find a cure!

David (chuckles)
I got a C- in science, think again.

(They both laugh.)

David (Cont’d)
I really do feel bad for Rachel. One of the toughest things in life is getting over the death of loved ones. Especially when their death isn’t exactly peaceful.

Henry
Is there any special girl out there for you?

David
Let’s face it, if there was, she’d be dead or soon to be. I’ve run out of time for love. This entire world has.

Henry
I think there’s still time for it. Love is what keeps us alive, gives us something worth living for. And when the dead start eating everybody that’s the most important thing to keep. That’s what I’m afraid Rachel may lose.

David
Don’t worry about her man she’s strong. She’ll be all right; she just needs time.

FADE OUT

FADE IN: MORNING

(Evan and Victoria prepare breakfast for everyone in the kitchen. David walks in as if hung-over.)

Victoria
What happened to you last night? Got into Evan’s wine cabinet?

David
YOU HAVE A WINE CABINET?

Evan
… way to spoil the secret Victoria…

David
Dude it’s the end of the world, why wouldn’t we have some tasty wine?

Evan
Wine is best with age. When the world really ends we can drink it.

(Henry walks in looking hung-over as well.)

Victoria
Let me guess, you both stayed up all night.

Henry
Well, not exactly. All night would mean I stayed up till sunrise. And I passed out right before it.

Victoria
We’ll make some coffee for you two.

David
Let me guess, all of the milk in the world is gone?

Victoria
Well as you say, you like it black.

David
I love my milk and sugar, but I will not deny that.

(Cassie walks in.)

Evan
Mornin’ Cassie.

Cassie (yawns)
Good morning.

Evan
Congrats, you’re the only one who doesn’t look like they took twenty shots last night.

Cassie
Well I’m sure Rachel won’t be looking too fresh. Though she wasn’t crying last night. In fact, I didn’t hear her the entire night.

Henry
She must be calming down.

Evan
Well we’re making her a nice frozen bagel.

Cassie
For people living during the apocalypse, we’ve sure got good food.

Evan
Very limited good food…

David
Do you have a generator giving you power?

Evan
Yeah but I don't know how long it will last....

(Cassie walks back into the room. She sits down on her bed.)

Cassie
Hey Rachel.

(No response.)

Cassie (Cont’d)
Hey, Rachel it’s time to get up. Evan and Victoria are making you a bagel.

(Still no response.)

Cassie (Cont’d)
Rachel c’mon!

(Rachel lifts the blanket, the bed is empty except for a bunch of pillows. Cassie rushes back out into the kitchen area.)

Cassie
Guys, Rachel isn’t in her bed!

Evan
She could be in the bathroom?

Cassie
The doors wide open no one is in there.

Henry
You said you didn’t hear her last night right?

Cassie
Yeah completely silent.

Henry
Cassie… a girl who just lost the love of her life isn’t just completely silent! She must have got up in the middle of the night and left!

Evan
Where could she have gone?

Victoria
Where’s the one safe place around here where she can be alone and somewhat safe?

Evan/Victoria/David
Cemetery!

Cassie
We’ve all gotta go right now!

Evan
You and Victoria stay here and watch the house, we’ll go.

Cassie
Evan she’s my best friend, this isn’t a decision you’re allowed to make!

Evan
I don’t want you two at risk.

Cassie
But you’ll let David and Henry risk their lives?

Evan
Please, please just stay here! We’ll be back within the hour.

Victoria
That cemetery is huge.

Evan
We’ll try and be back within the hour.

(Cassie still looks unconvinced.)

Evan
I promise that she will come back alive. You can trust that.

Cassie
Fine.

Evan
All right guys get dressed and get weapons.

CUT TO:

(David, Henry and Evan take their weapons and strap guns to themselves.)

CUT TO:

(Evan, David and Henry leave the house, taking out the few zombies along the way. They make their way up the block.)

David
Hey, did anyone else notice that all of the knives were there but only four guns?

Evan
Rachel must’ve taken one to protect herself.

David
Or the opposite…

Henry
What’re you hinting at?

David
Look I don’t want to be thinking like this… but it’s a lot easier to blow your brains out than to stab it out.

Henry
I’ve known Rachel for years she’s stronger than that. She wouldn’t commit suicide. She’s got more of a fight in her.

David
I know but we all have our melting points. She lost the guy she was with for five years. That would break anyone’s spirit no matter how tough they are.

Evan
Let’s hope her melting point isn’t today. We gotta pick up the pace.

CUT TO:

(Cassie stares out the window, victoria comes out and stands next to her.)

Victoria
She’s going be okay; you know that right?

Cassie
This is my fault.

Victoria
How is this your fault? She snuck out in middle of the night.

Cassie
I should’ve been watching her; she was going through hell.

Victoria
The whole world is going through hell. It’s nobodies fault but this damned virus.

Cassie
Do you ever think that we’re being punished? Having to die in the cruelest way possible and then come back as…

(Cassie trails off. Long pause.)

Victoria
I don’t think we’re being punished.

(Cassie turns her head to Victoria.)

Victoria
I think we’re being challenged. I don't know what force of nature is out there, but whatever it is, god or devil, it’s breaking down our walls to see if we’re strong enough to build them back up again. And I know we are, we just need time.

(A car pulls up on the street, two men get out. They each have a bag and a gun and a knife. They are headed toward the house.)

Victoria
Close all of the shades quickly!

(Cassie closes the shade but peaks out. The two men look around.)

Cassie
They won’t be able to get in, the doors chain locked.

Victoria
I’m sure they’re strong enough to kick it down.

(Cassie watches them look around for a way to get in. They open the gate leading into the bottom half of the house and walk right in.)

Cassie
Oh my god they’re in! Why the hell is that door open?

Victoria
When Rachel left she probably forgot to close it, or was too upset to even think about it. We need to get weapons and hide quickly!

(Victoria runs to get a knife and tosses one to Cassie. They hear laughing and footsteps coming. They both hide in the two bathroom closets.)

Robber#1 (chuckles)
What kinda dumbasses leave their front door open when the world ends?

Robber#2 (chuckles)
Yeah it’s like they’re asking for us to come in and take their shit.

Robber#1
All right, let’s go up to the kitchen and get all of the food.

(Headshot of Victoria and Cassie, they keep still. Both terrified.)

CUT TO:

(Evan, David and Henry walk through the cemetery.)

David
What happens if we don’t find her?

Henry
It’s not central park; we’ll find her.

Evan
I promised Cassie that we’d bring her back. I won’t go back without her.

David
What if we find her dead?

Evan
David would you shut up and just be quiet?

(Evan glares at David, then breathes in and calms himself down.)

Evan (Cont’d)
Sorry

David
It’s all right.

(Henry stops and looks up a hill.)

Henry
Guys, I think we can stop looking.

(David and Evan look, Henry points at a girl sitting below an angel. They all run up the hill, Rachel hears them coming and draws her gun, but once she realizes that they aren’t zombies lowers it.)

Henry
Rachel are you okay?

Rachel
No, I’ll never be okay again. I just can’t take it anymore. This life is not worth living anymore.

Evan
Rachel after we saved you, you told us that you’d been staying here because it was safe. But there are zombies here.

Rachel
The truth is… I didn’t come here because I thought it was safe… I came here to die. I thought it was over, that everything was gone. I was convinced that even if I did find you guys that it was only a matter of time before we we’re all going to die anyway.

(Rachel raises the gun.)

Evan
Rachel, no please, don't do this! Everything isn’t gone; we’re still here. We’re still fighting!

Rachel
And what’s the fucking point of that Evan? When we keep losing the people that we hold closest?

Henry
Josh wouldn’t have wanted this Rachel! He would’ve told you to keep on going no matter what!

Rachel
Cassie told me what happened to him Henry! How he became depressed and broke down! I don’t want to suffer like that, not anymore.

(Rachel points the gun at her head. David, Evan and Henry plead with her.)

Evan/David/Henry
Rachel no! Please!

Rachel
There’s no more happiness in the world, I won’t live in a world like that!

David
Rachel last night Henry and I were up late talking, laughing and having a good time! My mother always used to tell Victoria and I when times were difficult that if there’s a laugh, there’s a hope. But if we all just gave up trying, than no, there weren’t be a reason to go on. But there is! We’re human, we’re incredible beings! We’re so amazing because we don’t give up when times are difficult, we keep fighting for each other. And that’s what we need you to do right now. We need you to fight.

CUT TO:

(The robbers have taken all of the food.)

Robber#1
Hey man, I gotta take a leak.

Robber#2
All right, while you’re in there see what stuff you can take.

Radioactive plays
(Victoria and Cassie freeze with intense fear.
They hear one of the robbers walk in. Victoria has her knife ready. Cassie has hers too.)

CUT TO:

Evan
Rachel please drop your gun.

(Tears pour out of Rachel’s eyes as her hand shakes. She slowly lowers the gun from her head and drops it to the ground. David, Evan and Henry sigh in relief.)

Evan
Now let’s get out of here.

(Evan reaches out to take Rachel’s hand, but out of nowhere a zombie grabs her from the behind and takes a bite out of her shoulder.)

Evan/David/Henry
NO!!!!

(David draws his gun and shoots the zombie in the face. It falls to the ground. Rachel screams and falls to the ground, they all huddle around Rachel crying. Rachel looks up at all of them. She says nothing. Many more zombies approach from all sides.)

CUT TO:

(Victoria comes out of the closets and fights the robber. Cassie runs into the living room and attacks the other one.)

CUT TO:

(Evan, David and Henry filled with tears and enraged battle the surrounding zombies.)

CUT TO:
(The robber throws Victoria against the wall and aims a punch but misses. She pushes him back and runs for a knife. He gets up, grabs her, and throws her to the ground and punches her in the face. The other robber kicks her in the side and pins her to the ground. She reaches for her gun, which is inches away. The robber stops punching Victoria and looks down at her.)

Robber#1
You either kill alive or kill dead. You ain’t gonna do neither.

(The robber raises his knife and is about to stab her when a gun is fired and he drops to the floor. Cassie stands behind them pointing her gun.)

CUT TO:

(Evan, David and Henry fight their way toward the exit of the cemetery.)

Radioactive ends

(Evan, David and Henry approach the door to the house and Evan stops, completely traumatized.)

Evan
I broke my promise… I came back without her.

David
Don’t be hard on yourself Evan, what happened to Rachel was not your fault.

(Evan turns to look at both of them, Henry is completely covered in tears looking down.)

Evan
Henry… I…

David (pats Henry on the shoulder)
It’s going to be okay.

Henry
All of that stuff you said… about being human… fighting, being strong… it’s all a lie.

David
I know you don’t mean that. We’re all going through a terrible time. But we’ll get through it.

Henry
Good luck convincing Cassie.

(David steps in front of Evan and opens the door. They walk inside and hear crying. They all run and find Cassie slouched over Victoria who looks dead, but is just passed out.)

David
Oh my god! What happened?

(David runs to Victoria’s side.)

David
Victoria! No… no… is she?

Cassie
No… (shaking her head) Two guys got in… Rachel left the door open… they almost killed us both.

(Henry comes to Cassie’s side holding her, crying.)

Henry
Thank god you’re alright.

Cassie
Where’s Rachel?

(Evan stands looking away in shame. Cassie gets up and looks at him.)

Cassie (Cont’d)
Evan, where’s Cassie?

David
I can explain.

Cassie
No I want Evan to. Since you insisted on going without me and promised to bring her back alive. So where is she?
(Evan looks at her dead in the eyes.)

Evan
Dead.

(Cassie is shocked and begins to cry)

Evan
Cassie… I’m sorry…

(Cassie punches Evan hard in the face sending him falling back to the ground.)

Cassie
SHUT YOUR MOUTH YOU SON OF A FUCKING BITCH.

Henry
Cassie!

Cassie
YOU PROMISED THAT YOU’D BRING HER BACK ALVIE! YOU KEPT ME HERE TO GUARD THIS SHIT HOLE WHILE YOU WENT OFF TO PLAY HERO. WELL I’LL TELL YOU SOMETHING EVAN, YOU ARE NOT A HERO. YOU WILL NEVER BE A HERO.

(Cassie goes for another punch but David and Henry pull her back. Evan shakes his head.)

Evan
No, let her hit me. Let her beat the shit out of me till I’m dead. I deserve it. You’re right Cassie, about everything.

David
NO! No one is beating the shit out of anyone. Cassie I’m sorry that we lost Rachel but it wasn’t our fault. She was at her melting point and we had to talk to out of killing herself. She was just about to come back with us when a zombie came out of nowhere and bit her. We were completely surrounded.

(Cassie calms down and they let her go. David helps Evan up.)

FADE OUT

FADE IN:

(Everyone has gone to sleep. Evan and David remain up. Evan stares out the window)

Evan
We need to leave.

David
And go where?

Evan
I don’t know. But we can’t stay here. It’s not safe anymore. The zombies aren’t the only threat. It was a mistake leaving Cassie and Victoria alone.

David
They would have been in much more danger if they came with us.

Evan
But maybe Cassie could have convinced Rachel faster and we would have avoided that zombie.

David
Evan you need to stop thinking about what could have happened and focus on how we move forward from this.

Evan
David I don’t think we do.

David
Evan shut up! This isn’t you! You’re the tough army guy who has survived this long and with a smirk on your face. Snap out of it!

Evan
I CAN’T SNAP OUT OF IT!

David
Shhh!

Evan
I can’t snap out of it, I let her die!

David
No you didn’t! We all tried to save her, but we were at the wrong place at the wrong time. Blaming yourself is not going to solve any of our problems!

(Long pause)

David (Cont’d)
What we need to focus on right now is where to go from here. We could leave the city, we could try and find a place in a large building, I don’t know. Because right now the whole world is filled with flesh eating zombies.

(David points toward the window)

David (Cont’d)
This is the world we’re living in now Evan, we’ve both seen it. We’re living under infection x.

END OF SCREENPLAY