Klaroline

The Party

Slicking back his hair and straightening his tie, Klaus liked what he saw in the mirror. His head was spinning with all of the different paths this party could lead to, and he hoped that path would lead him straight to Caroline.
The “ball” of a sort started five minutes ago and he was still in his mansion waiting for his sister, Rebekah, to finish getting ready. He normally wouldn’t mind waiting, but this night was special. Caroline would be there and he intended on making an impression on her that she wouldn’t soon forget.
“Rebekah, we are already late. Must you take forever?” Klaus said at normal volume, knowing she could hear him anyways. He turned around to see her in the green sea foam Calvin Klein dress she had been admiring. He cracked a smile and chuckled softly “Beautiful as always”.
Rebekah smiled and went to him “And as always you still can’t get your tie straight” she fixed it with nimble fingers “Is Elijah coming?”
Klaus shook his head “He’s went out of town this afternoon and won’t be back for a week or so”
Rebekah frowned “Why didn’t he tell me?” she pouted as she always did when she was disappointed.
“Because you would try to make him come” Klaus arched an eyebrow and smiled “And Kol is on his stubborn streak, so it’s just you and I.”
Rebekah smiled and they linked arms going to the car “You just can’t wait to see that girl”
“That girl is named Caroline. And yes, I do look forward to seeing her. As you do with Stefan” Klaus looked to her knowingly.
“Not in the least” though it was clear she struggled over the words.
The car ride was shorter than he anticipated and he was soon pulling into the Lockwood estate and parked in the grass next to a shiny Volvo. He got out and went to Rebekah’s side and opened the door for her “Because of you we are ten minutes late”
Rebekah smirked “Remind me to apologize when I care”.
Klaus followed after her into the brightly lit Lockwood home, but separated in the thick crowd inside. He instantly started to subtly search for Caroline. Picking up a glass of dry white wine he took a small sip still scoping the party. It smelled unbelievably good somewhere, but he wasn’t quite sure where.
The room he was in seemed elegant and bright with soft candles, but somewhere in the house he could hear rock music. It was just like Caroline; an elegant ball in one room and a crazy teen dance in another.
He pressed the wine glass to his lips and froze mid swallow. His eyes lingered to the beautiful blonde on the staircase wearing a soft blue strapless dress that clung to her waist and rippled down her legs. With every move she made the fabric looked like a blue river of silk.
Klaus finished off the wine with steady gulps and then placed it on the counter walking away to approach her. How she seemed to glow, it made his heart ache and his stomach clench. He had to have her. But the only way for that was her forgiveness, and that would be nearly impossible. She was so stubborn.
Klaus smiled making his way through the crowd and meeting her eyes. Would she object if he were to call her beautiful? There was only one way to find out. She seemed to be looking right at him when he approached…but he was sadly mistaken.
Caroline walked right past him, as if he were the invisible man, and straight to Tyler. His arms wrapped around her small frame and she kissed his cheek, then in return his lips touched hers. Klaus’ heart seemed to stop and everything was in slow motion. A million angry thoughts thrummed his mind.
He gripped the stair railing for support. He had to look away, his face contorting into an unreadable mask. He couldn’t let this make him look weak. It was bad enough people knew he was capable of love, but it was another thing to let people know how much it hurt to see Caroline and Tyler together, again…after they were supposed to be apart.
Klaus sat at the makeshift bar set up and downed at least five shots of vodka before taking a breath. Why did he have to be so tolerant for alcohol? He just wanted to drown everything out. He was so absorbed in his own misery he didn’t feel anyone sit beside him until he spoke.
“Rough night?” Damon smirked as he sipped his whiskey.
Klaus looked over and groaned “I am not in the mood to deal with you” he rubbed his temples as if he had a headache.
Damon shrugged “Who really is?” he swirled the drink in his hand and watched the ice, “So Caroline and Tyler together again? That’s gotta hurt. What considering you love her and all” he put the glass to his lips and looked over to him still smirking.
Klaus’ skin prickled in irritation and he shot a glare at him “Actually I couldn’t care less”
“Oh? Well that’s strange. All I ever see you do is undress her with your eyes” he chuckled “Then again who wouldn’t right? I mean I sure had my fun with her”
Klaus’ shoulders went ridged and he swallowed down another shot forcefully. He did not want to have this conversation with Damon, especially now. He knew all about what Damon had done to Caroline, and it sent a fire through his veins.
“Don’t…talk about her like that” his voice was dangerously low.
Damon smirked ‘’Oh it’s not like you’ve never had fun with a pet. I’ve apologized to her, but who’s to say I’m really sorry”
With those words Klaus grabbed Damon by the throat and squeezed, a growl rising in his chest. A hand went on his arm and he looked over to a wide eyed Rebekah.
“Walk away Nik…don’t let him get to you” he could see the fear in her eyes and he let out a sigh, slowly releasing his grip on Damon windpipe. He stood up and cleared his throat.
“I’m going to get some air” he excused himself from Rebekah. Out of the corner of his eye he saw his sister slap Damon on the back of the head.
Klaus leaned against the back porch white railing. The whole backyard was streamed in white lights making it seem warm, but he felt so cold inside none of the beauty could move him. He walked through the garden of white roses and took a seat at one of the marble benches next to a fountain angels spitting water. He ran his fingers through his hair; the vodka starting to take effect.
Taking a deep breath his mouth watered suddenly. There was that delicious smell again. He looked around and licked his lips. It wasn’t from the kitchen, it was from the garden. He got to his feet and walked slowly through the hedges. The smell grew stronger and stronger until he got to the scene. It was blood. The sweet smell that lingered throughout the garden and up to the house was that of blood. How could he have been so stupid not to recognize the scent right away?
He stepped forward looking over the gruesome scene of what was left of a mutilated body. Klaus looked for anyone around, but it was just him and the dead. He frowned. Who would have killed right here in the middle of the garden during a party with two original vampires in the perimeter? The blood was fresh. It couldn’t have been but a half hour ago. He sighed bending down to see the face of the victim and frowned. She looked very familiar. It hit him after a seconds thought. This was a women Stefan had been talking with at the Grill earlier that day. Was he here? He didn’t remember seeing him. Had he done this?
Klaus sighed and ran his hand down his face looking to the blood stained white roses. A voice made him stand instantly. He turned to see Caroline staring at him in horror.
“How could you! You said you wouldn’t hurt anyone anymore!” she was nearly screaming and Klaus had to cover his hand over her mouth to keep her from attracting attention.
“Caroline. Stop. I didn’t do this.” Klaus breathed glaring at her.
Caroline pushed his hand away “Like I’m supposed to believe you. All you do is lie. I am so sick of this. You act like you can’t live without me, but then you go and do everything I hate.”
“What’s going on here?” Mrs. Lockwood’s voice drifted to them. This was not the time for her to get in the way of things.
Caroline came from behind the shrubs “Just go get my mom…now”
Mrs. Lockwood frowned, but nodded and went into get Sheriff Forbes.
Caroline turned back to Klaus, but he wasn’t there. He was long gone by now, and it was probably for the best.