Status: Original Story Series For My Made Up NHL Team, the Denver Snow Leopards

Alias

Chapter 3

My first year in California was interesting. By now, I was ten years old. I had joined the Pee Wee LA Junior Kings, after my father had spent days struggling to find the perfect hockey program to nurture my gift.

I was grateful to him for being able to keep my interests and future in mind.

The first day, I walked into the Toyota Sports Center, I was with my mother. I remember walking up the flights of stairs, at the entrance and being able to see the newly built facility. It was a big project and had just finished, when we happened to arrive. It was like the world wanted me to succeed in my future with hockey.

It was located on the grounds of the Grand Avenue Corporate Center, where it included three public ice rinks (NHL size, Olympic size, and a smaller rink), a basketball court, and a restaurant.

In addition, the property housed complete training facilities, including locker rooms and office space for the Kings and Lakers. The facility's three public ice rinks hosted several amateur and youth hockey leagues throughout the year. About one million guests passed through the doors of the facility annually.

I was lucky enough to be one of them.

When we entered the building for the smaller rink, where I had to start. I remember that the rink was beautiful. It was much cleaner and sharper and fresher than the one I had learned to skate on in Quebec. Not to mention it wasn't wood, for roller skating; it was ice. And it was cold.

I was signed up to the team, after I wowed all the clinicians with my skating and skills.

I remember that I would often go to the hockey rink with my mother, where she had managed to pick up a part-time job, shortly after I joined the club.

My first day with the Kings, I was introduced to the other players. I immediately hit it off with them. They were kind to me and we all grew close to one another, especially my linemates. There was one player I became really close to. His name was Patrick Cleary. We became best friends and were frequently stuck together like adhesive glue.