Status: Original Story Series For My Made Up NHL Team, the Denver Snow Leopards

Alias

Chapter 6

During the years of 1999 to 2001, in El Segundo, California, I lived with my family in a tiny apartment, on the first floor.

Sure, it was small and not exactly what one would think of as “living the good life”, but I did. I viewed it as the good life. I was able to play hockey and that was all that mattered.

I loved looking out the window and watching the waves break on Redondo Beach, in the “back yard.” I loved being able to play a hockey game every day, just a couple blocks from my home. I did ice hockey with my new team and worked on my skills through street hockey, often with teammates and friends like Patrick.

They were the best of times, because we were together. I felt like my family had repaired the wounds that had almost broken us apart. I was happy and enjoying my life.

Sure, at first I had to stop and think before answering, when I was asked about my name, or where I came from, or anything about my parents. But after awhile, it was like I was an actor. I stayed in my character.

I entered my fourth and final year with the Pee Wee Kings, at age thirteen. I was killing it on the ice, but I began to kill it off the ice too (if you know what I mean?).

I was becoming a man.

I would often go to the rink and young girls would hit on me. There was one persistent fourteen year old, who wouldn’t leave me alone.

She called herself Evangeline Murray.

We met one day after a practice with the Kings. I actually collided with her in the parking lot, on my way to my mother’s car. She was there to pick me up, like usual. I was a little embarrassed by the meeting.

“I’m so sorry!” I immediately stammered, moving to help her up. “Are you hurt?”

“No. I’m alright!” she replied, brushing her light golden blonde hair out of her eyes.

She gazed at me with her pair of amber eyes. I smiled sweetly, still holding her arm. We froze in place, briefly.

“Um,” I nervously chuckled, letting go of her arm, finally.

She giggled and looked away. I saw her blush.

“Well, uh, I’ve got to go and again, I’m terribly sorry for bumping into you!” I dashed off to my mother’s car and got in at once.

As we left, I saw her staring at the car, bewildered.

I continued to see her around the rink, but it was only tiny glimpses, before she would vanish once again.

The next time I ran into the girl, she was attending one of the parties of my teammate. That was when we first hooked up and started dating one another.

Ev, as I called her, was a kind girl. She was a little clumsy and loopy, but she was a great girlfriend. I would call her perfect, but she was not all perfect. In fact, the word "perfect" isn't in my vocabulary.