Trasna na huiscí

Prologue

Galway, 1641

Aine O'Flaherty felt as though no more tears could come as she and her sister Ciara and their brother Kevin were escorted aboard the Roisin Dubh. I have cried enough, I have to remain strong, she thought.

'You will be safe with Lord Ramos and his famly, it is not safe in Ireland", said their father Seamus O'Flaherty to his eldest child.

"Why canna you go with us?", she asked.

"I have to protect my people, what sort of Lord would I be if I left? Believe me, Lord Ramos is a good man and a dear friend of mine and he will treat you like you are family", said Seamus.

"Da, I want to fight the English bastards", said Kevin, a hand on the hilt of small iron sword.

Seamus smiled sadly at his son, ruffling the boy's coppery hair. "Aye, laddie. But you wil be safe in Spain, Ireland is not safe", he said.

Kevin pouted. "Da, but I want to fight alongside you, I am not a child", he said defiantly.

"You are twelve years old and my heir, I need you safe. And remember to look after your sisters, you are the man of the family", said Seamus.

Kevin took a deep breath and tried to conceal the tears in his hazel eyes, nodding his head. "Aye, Da", he whispered.

Seamus embraced his children and felt tears sting his eyes. "May the road rise up to greet you, May the wind always be at your back, The sun shine warm upon your face, The rain fall soft upon your fields, And when we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of his hand", he murmured as they embraced him.

Aine watched as their father lef the ship and the sailors unmoored the vessel, the sails unfurled to catch the evening breeze and the rowers below deck maneuvering the ship away from the dock. The sun was just setting as the orange ball slowly sank below the horizon, turning he sky bright orange and red and vivid pink, seagulls echoing their cries as they waited to catch their supper.

"Aine, are we going to see Da again?", asked Ciara.

Aine sighed, touching her sister's black curls that were so unlike her own blond waves. "I have no idea, Ciara. I hope and pray to God we will, but only He would know", she replied.

"What is Spain like?", asked Kevin.

"Da says it is a hot and sunny place, the people are warm and friendly and belong to the Catholic chuch. Lord Ramos lives near Seville in the south, his friend is going to meet us at Bilbao when we land. Just be on your best behavior, Spanish people are very proper", said Aine.

"I hope Lord Ramos has horses, I want to ride", said Kevin.

"I am sure we will have to ride from Bilbao to Seville, Kevin. Keep faitih", she said. And I need to keep faith myself, thought Aine.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a new story I'm working on, it's an AU historical fic set in Spain. Feedback is appreciated