Trasna na huiscí

Chapter 1

Fernando saw the ship with the Irish standard and the O'Flaherty coat of arms dock at the quay in Bilbao. "I do hope the children did not get seasick", said Iker.

"Verdad, but we will let them rest. I know you are eager to see Sara and Martin, but they are youngsters not used to travel", said Fernando.

The two Spaniards watched as the ship was moored and the cargo below decks was unloaded, seeing three young people emerge from the vessel and looking around warily. "Hola, ninos. I am Fernando Torres and this is Iker Casillas, we are here to escort you", said Fernando as he extended his hand.

"Hello, Senor Torres and Senor Casillas. Are you with Lord Ramos?", asked Aine.

"Si, senorita O'Flaherty. I am a vassal and my property is near the Ramos holdings", said Fernando.

"And I am Lord Ramos' steward", said Iker.

"You speak English?", asked Kevin.

"Si, senor O'Flaherty. My grandmother was English", said Fernando.

"Verdad, and that is why you have red hair, amigo. I studied English with my tutor, now I have a use for it", said Iker.

"We will begin our journey tomorrow, we are riding", said Fernando.

"We all know how to ride, our Da taught us", said Ciara.

"That is good, Senorita O'Flaherty", said Fernando.

"Your horses are stabled at the inn", said Iker, frowning when he saw sky turning gray.

"I thought Spain was hot and sunny", said Kevin.

"Not up here in the north, Seville and Andalucia are hot and sunny. It will be a surprise after Ireland, but you will be used to it", said Fernando kindly.

The girls felt much better after a bath and a hot meal, lying in their bed at the room in the hotel. "Aine, do you think Fernando is handsome?", giggled Ciara.

"Ta, but he might have a woman back in Seville. Lord Ramos might find you a husband, many girls your age are already married and have children. But I will make sure you have a good husband, Ciara", said Aine.

"I am sixteen, I am old enough. As long as he is handsome", she said.

"And he have better treat you right, a handsome man is not enough", she warned.

"You sound wise, Aine. But you are only a year older", said Ciara.

"Aye, sister. I do hope you find a good man", she replied.

"What about you, Aine? Da said he wanted a match between you and the son of Lord Ramos", said Ciara.

"It is Lord Ramos' second son, the oldest son is a priest. All I know is that his name is Sergio and he has a daughter from his late wife who died birthing the girl. I will see if he is an agreeable man and if we suit, I will marry him and be a mother to his daughter and any children we have", said Aine.

"Don't you want to be in love first?", asked Ciara.

Aine smiled at her sister. "I will learn to love my husband, Ciara. You ought to as well, as long is not a bad sort", she said.

"I still think Fernando is quite handsome, I wonder if all Spanish men are handsome", she laughed.

Aine gave the girl a wan smile. It is good she is not sad and crying, he is still young. And I hope Lord Ramos makes a good match for her, and that his son is a good man, she thought.

The following morning, the quintet mounted their horses and began their ride southwards out of the city. Fernando, Iker, and Kevin rode in a formation with the women in the middle, their pistols ready at their sides and Kevin with his long knife. "There could be bandits and we have to protect you, senoritas", explained Fernando.

"Oh dear", said Ciara, her green eyes wide.

"No se preoccupe, senorita", said Fernando kindly as he held the reins of his bay gelding. Sitting astride his mount, Ciara thought he was the most handsome man she had ever seen. Fernando wore trousers and a sleeveless vest open to the collar with a St. James pendant suspended on a gold chain around his neck, a wide-brimmed hat on his head which concealed his dark red hair. "I went on the Camino de Santiago during my thirteenth summer with my father, I got this as a present from my abuelo", he explained.

"Yo tambien, I went my fifteenth year with mi padre", said Iker, showing his own pendant.

"What is that like?", asked Ciara.

"It's a long walk to Santiago de Compostela in Galicia, St. James is our patron saint. Pilgrims come from all over to do el camino", said Iker.

"Will we have to do that?", asked Kevin.

"If you want to, Senor O'Flaherty", said Fernando.

The quintet made their way south and into the mountains of Navarre, their horses making their surefooted way. "The Basques are cool but friendly when you get to know them, there is an inn we stop at later that is owned by a friend of ours", said Iker.

"What is a Basque?", asked Aine.

"Those are the people who live in the mountains, senorita. Many can speak Spanish but they have their own language and many of them have red hair. Odd folks, but once you get to know them they are good people", said Iker.

They rode through the valleys of Navarra as the gray skies ahead threatened to rain, feeling only a few raindrops. The clouds appeared to touch the tops of the peaks and everything was green, reminding them of Connemara. "My grandmother came from Yorkshire, she said this place reminded her of it", said Fernando.

"Why would an English lady go here, they are not Catholic", asked Ciara.

"People in the north of England are, senorita. I supposed because the king didn't want to be bothered or someone paid him off, she married mi abuelo and they settled outside Madrid. My mother abuela was Andaluz and I inherited that property since she never had any children, my redhaired self has gotten used to the heat", he chuckled.

"Did your English gran have red hair?", she asked.

"Si, and I got it. At least is not the bright red, it almost looks brown sometimes", laughed Fernando.

Ciara felt her heart do a flip-flop when he laughed, his lips turned up at the cornders and the freckles on the bridge of his nose dancing and his warm brown eyes shining. I hope Lord Ramos lets him court me, she thought.

The group stopped at an inn where a young boy led the horses to a stable. The owner was downstairs wiping down a beer mug when he saw them, clapping Iker and Fernando on the back. "Hola amigos y bienvenidos, hola ninos", he said in accented Spanish.

"Hola Xabi, ellos estan con nosotros, vamamos a Sevilla", said Iker.

"Dos cuartos, por favor", said Fernando.

"Bueno, amigos. Nagore esta cocinando, va a comer en tiempos. Las ninas necessitas a banar?", asked Xabi as Iker nodded.

"He's going to have his daughters prepare a bath for you", said Iker as he led them upstairs.

"Thank you, senor Casillas", said Aine.

"De nada, senorita. After you girls bathe then us men go, dinner will be ready", replied Iker.

"What is Lord Ramos like?", she asked.

"A hard, regal, but good man, senorita. Him and your father are good friends, Lord Ramos' ships sail frequently to Galway to trade and where he met your father. When the English king was killed, Lord Ramos offered to bring you here to Spain, the English situation is going to get ugly", said Iker.

"And what of his son?", Aine asked.

"Sergio is a good man, his father's heir as his brother Rene is a priest. His daughter Azucena is a good girl, five years old and pretty, she has dark red hair like her madre. Her madre died giving birth to her and Sergio has raised her, she needs a mother as Lord Ramos is a widower", said Iker.

"How terrible, Senor Casillas", she exclaimed.

"Lo siento. Sergio also needs a wife as he needs to have an heir and to be a mother to Azucena, she needs a mother in her life", said Iker.

"Is he handsome?", she asked.

"Si, el esta muy guapo, senorita. Sergio is a hot-blooded man and has always liked pretty girls, but he is a good man and will be a good husband and father", said Iker.

"I would ask Lord Ramos if he can find a husband for Ciara as well", said Aine.

"Si, es bueno, senorita", he said.