Trasna na huiscí

Chapter 2

"We are halfway to Sevilla, we will stop at my father's castle for a few days", said Fernando as they approached a massive stone castle.

Aine nodded wearily. The last two weeks had taken them from the green northern mountains to the dusty plains of Castille, the flat dry brown country so very different from Ireland. The sun seemed to beat down on them relentlessly and the plains were an endless sea of dry brown grass with only the occasional castle or windmill to break up the monotony.

Aine was at least glad that her back and thighs no longer hurt, getting used to being in the saddle. "Within the next two weeks we will reach Don Ramos' castle outside Sevilla", said Iker.

"Gracas. Are you eager to see your family?", she asked.

Iker grinned. "Si, senorita. My wife Sara gave birth to our son Martin three months ago, el son un chico mas hermoso. He's our first child", he said proudly.

"How lovely, senor Casillas", she replied.

The group was ushered into the parlor where a dignified middle-aged man sat on a raised chair, the man getting up and embracing Fernando. "Hola, mi hijo, hola Iker y ninos", he said.

"Hola, Papi. Ellos estan los ninos de Senor O'Flaherty, Aine, Ciara y Kevin. Ellos van con nosotros a la castilla de Don Ramos", said Fernando.

"Bueno, mi hijo", said Don Ramos, signalling for the servants to lead them upstairs.

"Is there is anything you need, just say so. You are guests here", said Fernando.

"I want a bath, I feel dusty after the ride", said Ciara.

"Bueno, I will tell the servants", said Fernando, bowing slightly and leaving the chambers.

Two servent girls entered Ciara's room with a wooden tub while two others poured hot water inside, undressing behind the screen before sinking into the tub with a sigh. The women got to work washing her back before washing her hair, the thick black curls gleaming like jet and smelling of rosemary soap. "Son muy hermosa", said one of the women.

"Gracias", she replied.

The women chuckled amongst themselves as they helped her rinse off, one of them handing her a towel to dry off. Ciara felt much better after her bath and she changed into a simple white nightgown as she sat in a chair and let the women brush and braid her hair. There was a knock on the door and a young girl her age entered, giving her a little bow. "Hola, senorita. Me llamo Ana y voy a servir usted", she said.

"Hola, Ana. But I do not speak much Spanish", she replied.

"No se preoccupe, senorita", she replied, going over to the wardrobe and looking through the dresses.

Meanwhile, Fernando and his father were in the older man's study as a servent poured them each a glass of wine before discreetly leaving. "Fernando, it is time you found yourself a wife. I have heard you have not courted any women in Sevilla", said Don Torres.

"Verdad, Papi. I don't lke the girls Don Ramos sends me, they are too young and many are very silly, they all went to marry a hidalgo. I don't want to marry a thirteen-year old girl who is very silly and may suffer in childbirth like Madre", he said.

Don torres nodded as he sipped his wine. "You need a wife and an heir, you know your brother is going to inherit this castle and him and Rosa are expecting their second child", he chided.

"I would ask Don Ramos if he could let me court the younger sister, Ciara. The older sister Aine is for Sergio and she is not my sort, and Sergio is one of my best friends", said Fernando.

"Bueno, she is the black-haired girl? Ella esta muy hermosa, son intelligente y que anos tiene?", he asked.

"She is always asking questions about things when we rode, and I am teaching her a bit of Spanish. She is sixteen years old", he replied.

"Bueno, you have my blessing but you will have to speak with Don Ramos. And how do you feel about her?", asked Don Torres.

Fernando blushed as he took a hasty sip of wine. "Me gusto ella, Papi", he mumbled.

"Ese bueno, hijo", said Don Torres approvingly.

Fernando smiled gratefully at his father and finished his wine, embracing hi father before leaving the study. He walked over to Ciara's room and knocked on the door, smiling at Ana. "Hola, Ciara", he said.

"Hola, senor Torres", she said, stepping outside to let him in.

"Hola, senor Torres", said Ciara, her heart skipping a beat when she saw him in the room.

"Hola, Ciara. Please call me Fernando, my father has given permission for me to court you. I will have to ask permission of Don Ramos", he said.

Ciara gave him a little smile. "How wonderful", she replied softly.

Fernando chuckled as he sat opposite her on a chair, an amused smile on his lips as he tilted her chin to face him. "Ciara, don't act the shy maiden around me when we are alone, where is the girl who kept asking me questions while we rode? Only around my father, corazon", he whispered.

Ciara felt very warm all of a sudden as a blush formed on her cheeks, loving it when he spoke Spanish. "What does that mean?", she asked.

"It means heart, you may have stolen my heart, Ciara. I believe you are one of the most beautiful girls I have ever seen, and you are intelligent as well. When Don Ramos gives me permission, I will court you and you will be my wife", he vowed.

Ciara shivered at the intensity in his brown eyes, his Spanish-accented English sending a chill down her spine. "Perdon, but I didn't mean to frighten you, mi corazon. Have you ever been courted before?", he asked, feeling jealous if any other man had.

Ciara just laughed, an amused look in her green eyes. "No, senor Torres. You have nothing to be jealous about", she quipped.

Fernando blushed. "Lo siento, corazon. But I do have a jealous streak, all us Spanish men do", he said.

"I see, Fernando", she replied dubiously.

"I will not hurt you, Ciara. And what does your name mean?", he asked.

"It means Dark One, Da says I had a full head of black hair when I was born", she replied.

"You miss your father, corazon", he said.

Ciara could only nod as tears stung her eyes, Fernando giving her a hug. "Calmate, mi corazon. Hopefully the rebellion will soon be over and your father will rejoin us", he said.

"He had to stay behind, he is the O'Flaherty, he must stay with his people", she whispered.

"Lo siento if I upset you, mi corazon. I will show you around the castle", he said.

Ciara felt much better as Fernando took her hand and led her on a tour of the castle, the pair followed closely by Ana. "This is the garden where my mother used to sit, she loved flowers just like mi abuela", he said.

The herb and flower garden were adjacent to each other, sheltered by a canopy to keep out the hot Castillian sun. Many of the rosebuds were still furled while the rest were ready to bloom, fat bees flitting from one to the next of the open ones. The daffodils, violets, lilies, carnations and poppies were in bloom and the air was filled with their secent their vivid colors stood out against the brown backdrop of the plains.

"La castilla de Don Ramos is in the mountains of the Sierra Norte, it is a green fertile region where many crops grow. His ancestor was a minor hidalgo from Sevilla who defeated the Moorish lord who had owned it, the king gave him the land a title", said Fernando.

"It is the same all over, one group takes the land and throws out the people", said Ciara.

"The Moors are from Africa, they stole the land from us in the first place. Now it is Spanish land again", he replied.

"Now I see, the English come to Ireland and take the land from the Irish, for centuries", said Ciara.

"Exactly, Ciara", he agreed.