North Star

quatre.

David ushered me gently to his car. I got in without hesitation. I cried the whole way back to my house. When we arrived he pulled up in front of my neighbor's house and turned of the engine. I sat still, not ready to get out of the car yet and face Eric and Ben. Thankfully Dave seemed to understand.

"Are you sure you don't want to talk about it?" He asked.

"I just caught my boyfriend of nearly two years cheating on me," I blurted out before beginning to cry once more.

"I'm so sorry," he said quietly. "I know how that can be." I glanced up at him, startled.

"The girl I've been in love with since high school cheated on me with multiple guys," he explained.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. "It hurts so much."

"Do you want to go somewhere and talk about it?" He asked. I nodded. "Come on, I've got my own place. I'll make you tea, or maybe something stronger and we can talk about it."

"Okay," I agreed. He started the car once more and pulled away from the house. I sat in silence as we drove to a part of town I wasn't very familiar with. David parked in front of an apartment complex and I followed him inside. He indicated for me to sit on the couch and then disappeared into the kitchen. He came back several minutes later with two cups of tea. I laughed.

"I was kind of hoping for the something stronger," I said wryly. He set the cups down with a smile.

"It is something stronger," he assured me. I sighed and grabbed the mug and took a sip. I could taste the alcohol and feel it's bitter burn in my throat. I continued to sip the beverage as we sat in silence. I set down the cup when it was empty and leaned back. The alcohol was taking effect, making me feel heavy and drowsy. I didn't protest when Dave scooted closer to me. Suddenly his lips were on mine and for an instant I closed my eyes. In that moment I imagined that he was Spencer and that nothing had gone wrong in our relationship. Then I came to myself and pushed him away.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"I've loved you since high school," he confessed. I remembered what he had said about being cheated on. My heartbeat roared in my ears.

"What?" I asked faintly.

"For years I've watched you choose other guys over me, and it just never seemed fair," he ranted. "Well our time has come my love." I stood and tried to run to the door but he was fast. He grabbed my arm and pulled me back to him. He threw me one the couch and bounded my wrists with duct tape. I started to panic but before I could scream he put another piece of duct tape over my mouth. I closed my eyes and tried to focus on my breathing.