North Star

cinq.

I tried to talk, to reason with Dave but the sound was muffled by the duct tape. I couldn't believe I had gotten myself into this situation. I had known David for years but I shouldn't have trusted him enough to go home with him.

"I'm so glad you're finally here," he whispered, his breath hot in my ear. I sat rigidly on the edge of his couch, contemplating how to get away. My mind raced with possibilities but it all came back to the same thing. He was bigger and stronger than me and my hands were already tied. Dave ran his hand along my cheek, catching a tear I hadn't realized was there. He kissed my cheeks and then my lips through the tape. I closed my eyes. Suddenly he lifted me off the couch and dragged me to the bedroom. I stumbled alongside him helplessly.

He pushed me down onto the bed and my dress flew up. I squirmed, trying to cover my underwear but he stopped me. He yanked my panties off and I whimpered. I struggled to keep him off of me but he hit me hard in the face. I kicked at him and one of the blows landed. He grunted and rolled off of me. I wiggled off the bed and to my feet. I made it halfway to the door before he hit me so hard I crumpled to the floor. The hits kept coming until I could barely move. Once I stopped struggling he climbed on top of me. I closed my eyes as he penetrated me, breathing heavily in my ear.

I wished for darkness to come, to take me away but instead I remained awake for every moment as he violated me. It felt like hours before he finished. He lifted me onto the bed once more and wrapped his arms around me. I lay perfectly still as he cuddled with me, brushing the hair away from my face and wiping my tears. I needed to get out of his apartment before he killed me. Logically it was the only thing that could follow what had just happened.

I waited until he was snoring before I slipped slowly out of his arms. He stirred when I stood up and then rolled over. It took all of my self control to stay quiet and not run. I tiptoed back out to the living room. My purse was on the couch where I had left it. I grabbed it and headed for the door. It was a struggle to open the door with my hands still tied up but I eventually managed it. I took off as soon as the door was completely open, running awkwardly with my purse in my tied hands. I got a few blocks away before I spotted an open liquor store. I ran for it.

The guy behind the counter barely glanced up at first but then did a double take.

"Oh my God," he muttered. He ran out from behind the counter and pulled the tape off my mouth.

"Help me, please help me," I cried.

"Shh, it's okay. I'm going to call the police," he assured me. He pulled out a pocketknife and started cutting off the tape from my wrists. When he finished he led me behind the counter to a chair. He dialed the phone and I could hear him talking. "I need an ambulance at 4th St. Liquor. A young woman has been raped. She is in pretty bad shape."

I sank into the chair slowly and closed my eyes. Now the blackness was starting to take over and I welcomed it blissfully.