North Star

sept.

"Avery," Ben's voice was gentle. I glanced up at him and then out the window. Before us was the apartment my brothers were renting for me so that I wouldn't have to stay in the dorms. "Are you sure you want to go back to school this semester? You can take some time off." I shook my head. I couldn't sit around their house without dwelling on what had happened. I wanted to return to school so that I would have something else to focus on.

"Sweetheart," Eric said cautiously. I turned to face him in the back seat. "Please come back home with us."

"I can't," I admitted. They shared a long look and then both got out of the car. I followed suit and we began to unload my belongings. The apartment was a one bedroom that came furnished. I only had to bring essentials like bedding and towels. It only took the three of us two trips to get everything moved in. After that we sat in the generic living room for a few minute in silence. I knew they didn't want to let me stay there but I needed to for my own sake.

After they left I set up all my stuff and took a shower. It was still hot outside so I put on shorts and a tank top to lounge around in. I grabbed a book from the shelf and collapsed down on the couch. I read the first few chapters of Pride and Prejudice uninterrupted. I had just started to drift away into that world when someone knocked on the door. Without thinking I got up and answered it. A young man was outside and I stepped back.

"Hi, I'm Leo and I just wanted to welcome you to the building," he said cheerfully. "I'm right next door if you need anything." I stared at him for a moment.

"Oh, uh, thank you?" I said slowly. "I'm Avery." I realized that he was staring open-mouthed at my body from the neck down and glanced down myself. "I gotta go." I shut the door before he could respond. How could I be so stupid? All of my injuries were clearly evident in the small amount of clothing I was wearing. I felt exposed knowing that he had seen me like that. I ran to the bedroom and pulled sweats over what I was already wearing. It was way too hot for that much clothing but I felt safer.