Status: Thank you for reading, any and all comments are welcome and appreciated!

Tangled Web

Chapter 10

“Thanks for meeting me here.” I say, filling out the paperwork at the doctor’s office.

“Is she alright?” he asks nervously biting his lip, something he always did.

“I don’t know, they’re examining her now… Hi Amy” I say, finally realizing that she was sitting beside Leland. I didn’t have much time to think about why she had come with Leland, so I just pretended that she wasn’t there.

A nurse comes into the waiting room, “I need to see the parents of Olivia Chapman please.”

Leland and I stand up, along with Amy. “You can stay here.” He says, looking over his shoulder to Amy.

“Daddy, look!” Olivia says, excitedly showing him her pink cast as soon as we came into the room. “I broke my arm and I get a pink cast!”

“Oh, wow. That is … very pink.” He says, lightly holding her broken arm in his hands. “How did you break your arm baby?”

My daughter looks up at me and then back to her father. “Go ahead and tell him.” I say crossing my arms, trying not to laugh.

“Me and Laney were trying to fly.” She whispers, looking down at the floor.

“Trying to fly… hmm… let me guess, you didn’t make it?” Leland says, stifling a laugh.

Olivia frowns, “No.”

“They were trying to fly from the dresser to the bed and she hit the bedpost with her arm. She’s vey lucky that her arm was all she broke.” I say sternly. Of course it hurt to see my child in pain, but at the same time one of us had to be the parent.

“Let’s go home and check on Uncle Duane. I'm sure Kaiden is keeping him busy.”

Leland carried Olivia out of the doctor’s office on his hip; she laid her head on his shoulder, eating up the attention she was getting. Mainly because she knew she was going to be in trouble when she got home. I had already told Laney that she would have no TV for two days and it didn’t go over very well.

When we got home Laney was still sitting in the same spot on the couch as I had left her; pouting. Duane Lee was sitting next to her and Kaiden was asleep in the chair next to them.

“I'm going to my room to play.” Olivia announced as soon as Leland put her down, causing Laney to perk up. “I'm going too.” She says in agreement.

“Not so fast.” Leland says, being all fatherly; stopping them dead in their tracks. “I believe your mother said you were going to be punished for what you were doing.”

They both turned around, walked back to the couch and sat down next to each other.

I loved it when he did that.

~~~~~~~~~

“Why wouldn’t you let me come back with you this afternoon?”

“What are you talking about?” I ask, in between brushing my teeth and rinsing.

“When Olivia broke her arm, you told me to wait in the waiting room.”

I sighed, tapping the excess water off my toothbrush and turned toward Amy. “The doctor asked for her parents.” I reply, not wanting this to turn into an argument. She had become overly sensitive lately to all things that concerned Mila or my kids. I wasn’t sure if it was just pregnancy hormones or she was insecure.

“But I'm having your child Leland.”

“Yes, I know that. Our child is different than the children I had with Mila or even the children I had with Maui.”

Tears formed in the corners of her eyes, “So you’re saying you’re going to treat this baby differently than your other children?”

“What? No! That’s not what I'm saying at all. I'm just saying that… you know what, forget it. I don’t want to argue about this right now, it’s been a long day and we’re both tired.”

“I'm not tired; I want to talk about this.”

I pulled the covers over my head as I laid down, letting out a grunt. “Fine. Talk.”

“I want to know why you treat Mila differently than you treat me. Every time she has a problem you go running to her rescue…can’t you just leave her alone, she has Duane Lee.”

“This is the most ridiculous argument I’ve ever had with you!” I say through my teeth. “She is the mother of my children and I have to be there for them. It would be the same way if it were you. When the baby is born you’ll understand what I mean.”

~~~~~~~

Mila’s POV:

“Is it bad that I don’t like Amy?” I asked Duane Lee as I crawled into bed.

He laughs, pulling me into his arms. ‘I guess not. I mean she’s with your Ex-husband and having his baby.”

Yawning and throwing my arm across his chest I say, “True…do you like her?”

He shrugs his shoulders before answering, “I don’t know… don’t really know her. None of us really know her.”

“Ive been thinking about telling Leland about Dylan…what do you think?” I ask, my hands making small circles over his toned chest.

“I don’t know if that’s such a great idea right now…or ever, to be honest with you.”

“Maybe you’re right…maybe we can keep it a secret a little longer.”