Status: Thank you for reading, any and all comments are welcome and appreciated!

Tangled Web

Chapter 4

The next morning I sat up in bed, glancing over Leland to the alarm clock; it was only 5:45. I pushed the hair out of my eyes and stood up, immediately regretting that decision, I sat back down. I felt lightheaded.

Leland rolled onto his side, reaching for me as I sat back down. "What's wrong babe?" He asks, still half asleep.

I lay back down, snuggling into his embrace."I think I just stood up too fast or something. I think you wore me out last night." I say kissing him on the cheek.

"It was worth it...I wasn't too mean was I?"

"You were amazing." I whisper and kiss on the cheek again.

We both shared a laugh and fell back asleep.

Two days later I wasn't feeling much better and we were having a dinner party for Leland's Birthday. All he wanted was steak and potatoes. He was so easy to please. That afternoon I sent Daddy and his little helpers to the beach so I could get everything ready for tonight. As I pulled the steaks out of the refrigerator, my stomach clenched. I was going to throw up; and I did, barely making it to the bathroom in time.

I felt fingertips brush my neck as someone pulled my long hair back. I couldn't bother to look at the moment; I didn't think I had the strength to lift my head.

"You're pregnant aren't you?"

"No."

"This isn't the first time I've held your hair back while you puked."

"I am not pregnant." I whisper to myself. I leaned back on my knees, wiping my mouth with the wet towel he handed me and leaned into him as he sat behind me. Strong arms wrapped themselves around me, holding me even closer as I stared at patterned tile of the bathroom floor.

"Want me to cancel the dinner?" he asks, stroking my hair.

I leaned into his chest, closing my eyes. "No, I can't do that. I'll be fine...promise me you won't say anything to Leland."

He sighs, "I thought he wanted another one. At least that's what he's been telling me for the last few months."

Duane Lee was right; his brother did want another child. But I didn't. I couldn't fathom the thought of one more child running around this house, with the three that we already had. I saw it as another mouth to feed and another diaper to change.

"Let me help you up." he says, pulling both of us to our feet. "Get a drink of water, and let's go face the world." He says touching my face tenderly.

I managed a smile and followed him out of the bathroom. I felt relieved that he had come to my rescue and not my husband. Leland would have been celebrating and I couldn't begin to think about that. My mood had changed from happiness to sadness in a matter of minutes; maybe no one would notice.

And no one did, not for two more months. I visited my doctor and confirmed that I was indeed pregnant, again. I sat in my car staring at the first sonogram pictures of our child... the one I had yet to tell my husband about. Although he had asked several times if something was going on, telling me I looked pale and tired; I blamed it on the stress of having three children to raise. He bought that story...for now.

There was a message on my phone from Duane Lee, asking me to meet him for lunch; he was the only person that knew what was going on. Ten minutes later I was sitting across from him having pizza.

"Did you get a sonogram picture?" he whispers leaning across the table. There were so many people on this small Island that knew us that we couldn't risk letting anyone overhear our conversation.

Reaching into my purse, I pulled the two pictures out and handed them across the table to my brother-in-law. "I'm right at three months. Dr. Jones said everything looked fine... I wish I felt fine about this." I say sipping my water.

He studied the pictures thoughtfully, as if looking at his own child. It made me smile as it brought back so many memories of my teenage years. Back then he was thrilled about my pregnancy, he wanted nothing more than to be a father. I, on the other hand, was hanging on the edge of a cliff, ready to let go at any moment. At one point he tried to convince me to keep Dylan; telling me that we could raise him together; who knows what life would be like now if he had gotten his wish.

The noise in the restaurant was growing; I don't know why he wanted to meet here, probably because it was so close to work and he was only able to be out for an hour. The pizza place was nothing but a tourist spot, people everywhere were taking pictures. I was praying that no one would notice Duane Lee sitting there.

A few days had passed and I had hidden the sonogram pictures in my car; a place Leland would never look. I busied myself cleaning the house and getting ready for Christmas when I heard the front door slam shut.

"Mila! Mila where are you?" he yelled again "Mila get the fuck in here! Right now!"

I stood frozen as Leland yelled for me...he had never cussed me; never raised his voice to me... I was scared to move.

"I know you're in this fucking house. Don't make me fucking look for you!"

"I'm right here, damn, give a girl a minute. What's wrong with you?" I asked walking into the living room. I took a deep breath; he was holding something in his hand.

"This is what's wrong!" He yells, throwing a copy of the National Enquirer down on our table.

I thought my eyes were going to fall out as I stared at a very large picture of myself with Duane Lee as I showed him my sonogram picture at the restaurant. The headline read: Trouble in Paradise? Is Bounty Hunter Duane Lee Chapman his sister-in-laws Baby Daddy?"

I sank down in the sofa as my husband yelled at me; partially listening to his rant as I stared at the picture.

"How long? ... Behind my fucking back...so embarrassed...our children...are you listening to me?...married for seven years...are you unhappy? I'm so ashamed Mila." he yells one last time.

He had this all wrong, he was the father. I opened my mouth to talk, but he crossed his arms, silently shutting me up as he sat down next to me. I looked to my right, my husband of seven years was crying; I had only seen him cry twice; once when the girls were born and then again when Kaiden came along. I could only imagine what he must be feeling inside and it was all my fault.

"Listen, baby- " I try saying, but he interrupts.

"Don't fucking baby me Mila...I'm sure that's what you call my brother too; right?"

I pulled my hand back, slapping him as hard as I could across the face. "Are you finished? I'd like to speak!"

My hands were trembling as he sat there holding his cheek; still in shock. I felt horrible inside but it was the only way I could get his attention. "I am not pregnant with Duane Lee's baby. I haven't slept with him. This baby -" I say rubbing my growing stomach. "Is yours Leland... only yours, no one else. There's not even a remote possibility that it could be his."

"What?" he asks confused as he picks up the paper. "Explain this!" he says tossing it at me.

"The day of your birthday when everyone was over for dinner and you had taken the kids to the beach; I got sick, I threw up and your brother just happened to be there. So, I made him promise not to tell anyone. Not even you."

"You knew you were pregnant the night of my birthday and you didn't tell me? Why?"

"Because I don't want another child, Leland. I struggle with the three we have! I wish you could understand that."

He just shakes his head, back and forth for a few minutes, never saying a word. I knew he didn't believe me. The picture did look deceiving, but I knew the truth. "You know what, since the kids will be at your dad's this weekend, maybe we should spend that time apart."

"Fine."

"Fine! I'll be back Sunday." I yell, grabbing the gossip magazine and storming out of the house.

Before I knew it I was standing outside of Duane Lee's house, raising my hand to knock on the door. It was getting late; I was praying he was still awake. I knocked lightly and waited; after a minute the door swung open revealing Dylan.

"Dylan." I say quietly putting my hand over my heart. No matter how many times I saw him; there wasn't a word to describe the feeling of seeing your first child.

"Hey Aunt Mila, come in." He says with the smile he got from his father. "Dad's in bed already, guess he had a long day today." he says laughing lightly.

"Thanks, I need to talk to him for a minute."

He smiles again, closing the door behind us. "Okay...goodnight then, I'm headed to bed myself. Love you, Aunt Mila."

"Love you too sweetie." I whisper; watching him walking to his room. There were times when I wondered if he did know; wondered what he might think if I told him. I couldn't think about that right now, I needed to prepare Duane for the backlash of this picture.

I slowly opened the bedroom door, peeking my head inside, he was lying on his stomach, arms tucked under his pillow, and the covers barely covering those important parts.I let out a long breath and walked toward the bed. He looked so peaceful; I hated to wake him.

I sat down on the side of the bed, turning toward him; reaching out I lightly touched his arm. He stirred and moaned. "Duane Lee." I whispered softly, laying my hand on his bicep. "Duane Lee, wake up."

He slowly opened his eyes, "Mila? What are you doing here? Is everything alright?" he asks, sitting up in the bed, clutching the covers to his waist as he turned the bedside lamp on.

I started to cry, clenching the magazine in my hands as I handed it to him. "Leland hates me." I say, crying like a baby.

"Calm down, stop crying." He says, sweetly pushing my hair back off my shoulder. "I'm so sorry. It's my fault; we shouldn't have met there... I just didn't think about it. I'm sorry." he says staring at the magazine; repeating the apology again and again.

"I tried to explain it to him, but he didn't believe me, I could see it in his eyes." I say, sadly. "I should have told him up front what was going on, but I couldn't. I don't love this baby Duane Lee... I don't want it."

"Why don't you try to get some rest tonight. We can talk about everything tomorrow."

I mumble an "Okay."

"I've got some old t-shirts. You can wear one to sleep in, if you wanna change in the bathroom I'll bring you one."

Duane Lee's POV:

I was beyond pissed at my brother. I knew that he loved his wife, more than he could ever love anyone; he knew that she wouldn't betray him in that way. Granted, the picture was very deceiving as were the quotes in the magazine, but Mila and I knew the truth.

I waited until she closed the bathroom door to get out of bed; I always slept naked. Opening a random drawer I pulled out a very old football t-shirt that I had been holding onto from High School, it should fit her just right. I slid on some boxers and knocked on the bathroom door. She opened it a crack and I handed over the shirt.

I had just laid back down when she walked out of the bathroom. I smiled, probably more than I should have, considering my sister-in-law was about to climb into my bed; she was beautiful and glowing like any pregnant woman should. Leland was stupid if he couldn't see it.

The t-shirt rested at the top of her thighs, just long enough, yet short enough that it left little to the imagination. I always thought there was something sexy about a woman wearing your clothes; Mila proved that tonight as she slid into bed with me, pulling the covers up to her waist.

Yawning she says, "I told Leland that we should spend the weekend apart."

I bit my tongue to keep from smiling, I knew it was wrong, but I prayed that she would stay with me the entire time. Dylan was going out of town with a few friends tomorrow; it would be the perfect opportunity for us to be together. I didn't want to ruin her marriage; I only wanted to show her that there were other options available.

Hours later as we both slept, a smooth, warm leg slid between my legs as I slept on my side; Mila was wrapping herself around me, spooning me from behind as she slept; her left hand resting between my hip and leg, her right flung above our heads, occasionally playing with my hair in her sleep. After a long period of having no contact from a woman, I was in heaven, I lay awake for a while trying my best to be still, willing her not to let go of me.

When I woke up the next morning I was practically lying on top of Mila, my leg was thrown across her hips and half my chest lay on top of hers. Our faces were mere centimeters from one another as our heads rested on the same pillow. I smiled briefly, my cheek brushing hers as I did, causing her to stir in her sleep and smile back. If we kept this up, I wouldn't be letting her go back home; it felt too good to wake up with her in my arms.

I gently pushed a few stray hairs away from her eyes, and petted her smooth cheek with the back of my thumb. She gave me an appreciative moan and scooted closer to me, burying her head in my chest. I didn't care if she slept until noon, I wasn't moving until she woke up.

Thirty minutes later there was a light knock on my bedroom door and Dylan stuck his head in with a confused look on his face. "Dad?"

I put a finger to my lips, telling him to be quiet. He walked closer, just to confirm his suspicion that Mila was in fact in my bed.

"It's nice to see my parents are finally in the same bed together."

I had always been open and honest with Dylan. He'd known for many years that Mila was his mother. He told me that he had no ill will toward her and that he understood she was only sixteen when he was born. We made a promise to each other that it would never be mentioned; especially to his mother.

"It's not what you think Dylan." I tried my best to assure him. "Mila had a really rough night last night. She needed a shoulder to cry on."

He nods, sitting down on the side of my bed, looking at his mother. "She's beautiful dad, I know why you love her so much. In a completely selfish way, I wish she would have married you." he says sadly.

"Me too, son... me too." I say, whispering as I watched her sleep.