Sequel: Renegade
Status: Rewritten and Complete

Traitors

Crash

I didn't speak to Gabe when he finally got around to the waiting room. I guess it's the mixture of anger and worry as to why I refuse to say a word. He forced her to go into that building knowing what the outcome would be and his appearance at the current moment tells me he doesn't really care. He's lounged back in the waiting room chair with his eyes pressed shut and a grin plastered on his face. Part of me wants to reach over and knock that smirk off his face, but I compose myself.

We've been sitting here for close to two hours and no one has bothered to tell us everything went and if we can go see her. I know they said it would be awhile, but I didn't think it would take this long.

This isn't the first time I'm sitting in this room waiting to hear news about Detope. Two years ago, I was in the same exact position I am in now; hunched over my knees, tapping my foot, and shaking my hands in anticipation.

I was out for an evening stroll in town. I had just finished planting bugs in the Yomar Gumaal building and I was heading back to The Tunnel. At this time, it was just me, Gabe, Hunter, and Quela. We were still in the early stages of our "traitorous deeds." A government vehicle was carelessly speeding down the street when it struck another car and continued on it's way. The car it hit spiraled out of control and slammed into a guardrail on the side of the road. I stood in awe as cars drove by without a care and didn't stop to help. I caught a glimpse of long, bright red hair and before I could think, my body started moving toward the car. I was already a traitor. Helping out a hit and run victim was the least of my worries.

I peeked inside the passenger's side window as the petite body was hunched over the steering wheel. The glass was smashed on the driver's window and the door was crushed into the guardrail. I pulled on the passenger's door for several minutes until it finally gave up and opened. I crouched down to get a good look at the still body. Blood was pouring onto the steering wheel and pieces of glass were scattered around.

I carefully slid into the car and got a closer look. I slowly reached for the fiery hair and moved it out of the way. There weren't any cuts on the side I could see, but I did notice she was still breathing. I pulled out my phone and notified the paramedics. They gave me instructions on what to do if she wakes up before they get there.

My heart skipped a beat and my breathing stopped when she moved. They were small jerking motions at first, but gradually turned into real movements. She struggled to keep her eyes open and she couldn't focus on her surroundings. She turned her gaze to me and became even more confused. I caught sight of the gash on her head which was the source of the dripping blood on the steering wheel. She shifted her body back in her seat and peered out her window. I could see panic setting in her face as she reached for her seat belt. She lethargically tugged at the strapped, but it wouldn't budge. My hands suddenly moved over on top of hers to try and help her. She froze her actions and kept her eyes locked on mine.

"It's okay, I'm here to help you. My name is Logan. What's yours?" I asked softly. She hesitated almost as if she was unsure of what it was.

"Phoenix." She uttered.

"Hi Phoenix." She made a face at me.

"Just call me Phoe." I smiled feeling somewhat relieved that she was awake and talking. "What the hell happened?" I brushed hair from her face. I released my hands from hers and she sat back defeated by the seat belt.

"You were hit by a government car. I was walking on the street when it happened and I rushed over to see if you were okay." She reached up to the gash and winced in pain. "I called the paramedics so they are on their way to take you to the hospital." She released a heavy sigh.

"Why?" She whimpered grabbing a chunk of her hair.

"Why do you have to go to the hospital?" I asked not sure of what she meant.

"No," she sounded close to tears, "why are you helping me?"

"You didn't deserve this." I offer, but she didn't seem thrilled with the answer.

"Whatever you say." She turned her head away from me.

I feel a hand gently rest on my shoulder. I shoot my eyes open and realize I drifted off. I glance up and see it's Mae. She smiles and cocks her head to the side, motioning down the hall. I rise and follow her. I turn back and notice Gabe is no longer in the waiting room. When I turn back around I almost stumble into Mae whom has stopped in front of a closed door. She flashes a small smile at me and opens the door, letting me enter first.

I slowly stagger in, biting the inside of my cheek out of nervousness. She's still, except for the gentle rise and fall of her chest. A constant, steady beeping resonates in the background as my eyes lock on the multiple tubes connected to her. My knees feel weak as I crumble into a chair next to the hospital bed. Mae rests her hand on my shoulder offering her support. She lightly touches the bottom of my chin and moves my head to look up at her.

"Don't beat yourself up over this, okay? Everything went fine and she should be on her feet soon." She smiles before exiting the room.

I lean my head back against the window and shut my eyes. I had been beating myself up the minute I had to tell her what Gabe had in mind. I was supposed to help her out and I stood by and let Gabe walk all over me. That was nothing new though. I always let him walk over me and force me to do things that I didn't want to do. He always says, "It's for the cause, Logan. You have to do this for us." But this was different. This wasn't my life he was gambling with, it was Detope's. She was the first to mouth off to him and say no, but look where it got her.

The door cracks open and I move my gaze toward it. I see Gabe popping his head in the door. His lips rise on the right side, but quickly fall. I scowl at him as a warning not to even think about entering the room. He disregards it and stalks in, throwing himself onto the corner of the bed. Fury begins to run through my veins. He notices my anger and smirks at me.

"What's your damage, Papa Bear?" I can hear amusement in his voice which pisses me off more.

"You are." I hiss through my teeth.

"Me? What did I do? I got her here. She's taken care of, so why are you pissed?"

"Because you shouldn't have sent her into that building in the first place." My ears twitch at the sound of my voice. I'm glad my anger is audible. "I betrayed her trust because of you."

"Oh please!" He throws his hand to the side. "I had to give Simmons a way out, so I had to send someone in there." He smirks as I let it sink in. I knit my brows together.

"What are you talking about?" I growl. My voice not even sounding like my own anymore.

"He wanted to leave the rebellion." He flings his arms out and rises to his feet. "I told him no, but he fought me for some options."

"What were they?" I bite.

"He either stays or he dies, by my hand or his own." My mouth falls open, stunned. "Don't give me that face, Fierce. He was emotionally compromised. Just like you're starting to be."

"You going to have me killed, too?" I ask folding my arms across my chest as he shakes his head.

"Don't be ridiculous. I told him my plan and he followed through, for the most part." He studies my confused expression and rolls his eyes sitting back down on the hospital bed. "I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone, or in this case, with one fire." He giggles at my snarl. "See, this is exactly why I did it. Since when has her life become so important to you? Last time I checked, you only cared about yourself." I look down. "Don't be ashamed about it. Being selfish is good in our line of work." He catches my attention. "That's why I think you need to give up on this one." He motions to Detope. "I don't want you getting too attached. Everyone is expendable."

He didn't see it coming nor did I. I was expecting it to by my fist, but it wasn't. She had woken up at some point during our conversation, but neither one of us had noticed. The look in her eyes matches the fury pumping in my body. She gets three solid punches in before Gabe finally retaliates. He grips onto her fist and twists it aside. She releases a soft whimper which forces me into action. I jump out of the chair and leap onto him. I land a few good punches myself before he throws me off. I slam into the chairs behind me as the air in my lungs vanishes. I quickly gasp for more air as Gabe rises from the bed. He cups his bloody nose shaking his head.

"You two were made for each other." He barks. "Traitors to your government and traitors to your own. Come back when you get your act together." He looks between us. "Both of you." He stomps out of the room slamming the door behind him.