Sequel: Renegade
Status: Rewritten and Complete

Traitors

Intruder

No one did anything after China bombed us. No one retaliated or came to our aid. The rest of the world believed we deserved it and also feared if they helped, they'd go down with us. We pleaded to our neighbours up north to help us back on our feet, but the Canadians responded, "This is your chance to start over and make a better name for yourself," and left it at that.

The first few years were a challenge, but we finally got things in motion. I was fourteen when the government decided to shift gears. They made a game plan to make sure something like this never happened again. They cut us off from the rest of the world. Social media, internet, and television (not including the news which only gives updates on the divisions) was taken from us. Information about us would be kept in the dark. Transportation in and out of the country was forbidden which was only the beginning.

Rules were enforced. No one is allowed out on the streets after ten. If you are caught, you are taken to the local authorities and are dealt with quietly. If an official gives you an order, you must obey regardless of what it is. If they tell you to pick up a piece of trash, you do it. If they tell you to help that old lady cross the street, you do it. If they tell you to kill your best friend, you do it. If you refuse or argue, they kill you on the spot. If you see the incident, continuously stare, and the official sees you, they will kill you as well.

You are allowed to have children as long as you are married. If you are a teen and pregnant, they will terminate you, the child, and the father. Let's just say, teen pregnancy is no longer something that's documented on a television network. Divorce was a topic which was discussed the longest until they came to the conclusion to get rid of that as well. No one is permitted to get divorced. If you are caught having an affair, your spouse makes the decision whether to turn you in or turn their cheek. If your spouse turns you over, you and the person you had an affair with have your reproductive organs mangled and then put to death.

Not only do we have the government rules, but we have the rebellion rules. That list is much shorter: Don't get caught and keep your mouth shut.

I left the bandaging on during my shower. I couldn't risk the hot water scalding onto the wound. It was rather difficult to keep standing, but I managed. I stare down at the damp bandage and hesitate before removing it. I take a deep breath before lifting the pad from the wound. The air hits the gash giving it a soothing and cool feeling. There's a three inch slit with black thick threat woven through my skin. They really had to go deep into my thigh to get the bullet out. Even though I'm sitting on the chest in the bathroom, I still feel weak in the knees staring at it. I gaze up at the medicine cabinet not sure where to start first.

I call for Fierce who quickly comes running to the door cautiously opening it unsure of what he's about to walk into. He enters tilting his head to the side and folding his arms across his chest.

"You don't know how to dress it, do you?" He smiles opening the medicine cabinet.

He grabs Neosporin and rubbing alcohol. He grabs a few cotton swabs and a cotton ball, along with another pad and gauze wrap. He kneels down next to me unscrewing the lid to the alcohol. He rests the cotton ball on top and flips the bottle over. The liquid soaks into the cotton ball. He turns it back around and removes the cotton ball from the top giving me a nervous face.

"It's going to hurt." He admits. He offers me his other hand and I accept it with a tight grip.

He carefully pats the cotton ball onto the wound. A burning sting erupts as I grit my teeth and slam my eyes shut. I squeeze his hand until I feel his pulse thumping into my hand. He continues to pat the gash as the liquid seeps into it. I lean my head back against the wall as a disgruntled groan emerges from my throat. He removes the cotton ball and tosses it into the trash can. I sigh in relief knowing the worst part is over.

He rips open the packaging of the pad and rests it on my knee. He squeezes Neosporin on it and rubs it in with a swab. He places it onto the wound tenderly and begins wrapping it with gauze. His fingers are careful and gentle as they graze my bare skin every so often causing me to blush. He cuts the gauze from the wrap when there is enough to keep the pad secured in place and tucks the end under the bandaging. He gives my knee a pat.

"You're all set." He flashes me a smile and rises to his feet.

Fierce turns away from me, but whirls back around when I hold his hand captive. He stares down at me unsure of why I won't let go. I tug on his arm and he fumbles forward slamming his other hand into the wall behind me. He hovers over me with his face inches away from mine. I reach my hand up brushing my fingers behind his ear and rub my thumb against his cheek. I lean forward planting my lips on his, something I've been craving since the hospital.

I release his hand and work my arms around his neck. He kneels back down running his hands along my back. Chills run through my body as he parts from my lips and works his way down to my neck. His stubble tickles my skin forcing a giggle to bubble from my throat. I wrap my legs around his body pulling him closer to me. His lips find their way back onto mine. He tugs on my bottom lip as I ruffle through his short brown hair.

We both jump when a bark resonates into the room. He whips around and stares at Kyra who is sitting outside the door. She barks again slightly quieter from the first. Fierce rolls his eyes and looks back at me. He resumes kissing me until Kyra barks again. I lower my legs, releasing him from grasp.

"I think someone is a little protective." I whisper to him. He snickers turning back to me.

"I guess we'll have to pick this up at another time." He grins as he pecks my lips one last time before rising to his feet. He heads toward Kyra forcing her back toward his room. "Thanks a lot, Ky!" He grumbles to her.

I giggle to myself grabbing onto my cane and following him out of the room. I stumble into Mae's room and rest onto the bed. I secure myself under the covers and lay my head on the pillow. I glance across the hall into his room. I release a heavy sigh wishing I were in there with him, but quickly drift off to sleep before I have a chance to even think about it further.

Sleep feels like minutes and it doesn't feel long until I wake up to the sound of a vicious growl. I knit my eyebrows together and force my body to the sitting position. I glance over at Fierce's room and I see him throw on a flannel shirt. He doesn't bother to button it up and peaks out from his room. He catches my eye and signals for me to stay where I am. I huff in frustration knowing I'm not capable of doing anything to help. He slithers along the wall and heads toward the sound of Kyra growling.

I hear faint footsteps and then the sounds of a scuffle and grunting. I hear something fall over followed by a crash. I fling my legs out from under the covers and stagger onto my feet. Walking seems a little easier today, but still painful. I inch my way to the door and peak my head out. A tall, lanky man in a white t-shirt and jeans has Fierce pinned against the wall. With their forearm pressed against his neck, the sounds of choking and short gasps escape from his mouth. I force myself down the hall, not caring about my handicap anymore.

"How ya been, Logan?" The intruder mumbles. The voice is deep and husky. Fierce struggles against his hold trying to get air into his lungs. "What's the matter? You a little choked up?" He laughs pressing harder on his throat. Kyra barks aggressively as I force myself over to him. Fierce spots me and holds his hand up slightly, meaning not to engage. I squint at him in confusion as his face turns red. "I thought you'd be happy to see me." I shake my head at him, ignoring his instruction.

I move toward the intruder, flipping my cane around. I aim the handle at the back of the his knee and strike quickly knocking him down to the ground. Fierce follows after fumbling to the floor violently coughing and gasping for air. The intruder rolls over and grabs onto my ankles. He yanks me to the floor with them, knocking the wind out of me. He climbs on top of me and stares me in the face.

"Now who's this ginger beauty? Does Logan have a girlfriend?" He laughs stroking his knuckle against my cheek. "She's a pretty one, ain't she?" I move my face away from his hand, but he grips onto it and move it back to face him. I stare up at him and recognize the eyes. He's Logan's older brother. I growl forcing my fist up catching his chin which knocks him back a bit. He grips his jaw suddenly smirking. I see where his eyes are staring and I swallow hard. "Wow! This looks serious!"

His hand grabs onto my thigh forcing his fingers along the stitches. Tremendous pain explodes throughout my leg feeling like it's being stabbed repeatedly. My throat begins to ache from the screams leaving it. An arm wraps around his throat pulling him off of me. I pant gripping my thigh as I force myself to sit up. Fierce smashes his fist into his face several times before he caves. Fierce grips onto his shirt forcing his body to be parallel with his.

"Why are you here?" He barks revealing how hoarse his voice.

"You aren't answering my calls." He snickers. "Figured I'd stop by and visit." Fierce strikes him again.

"Why are you here?" He furiously asks again.

"Dad sent me. He wants you at his big party next week. Says it's important you attend." He glances at me. "You can bring the ginger." He shoves Fierce off of him. "You know where it'll be." He gets up and heads toward the door. "And dress nicely. You know how much he values his reputation." He leans down next to me. "Can't wait to see you again." He puckers his lips and makes a kissing noise before rising and walking out.

We hear the front door slam and feel sudden relief. I wrap my hand over my mouth to keep vomit from exiting it.

If this is how his brother acts, I can't begin to imagine what his dad is like.