Sequel: Renegade
Status: Rewritten and Complete

Traitors

Trouble

I refuse to sit still no matter how hard Michaelson tries to contain me. No way in hell they're taking my tongue. I elbow him in the gut as he grunts and backs off of me. I yank my chained wrists attempting to break the connection between them and the table which fails. Braxton reaches over gripping onto my face to hold it still, but I fight him. Michaelson composes himself and grabs onto me again. He chuckles exposing the alcohol on his breath. Braxton is just as close to him as I am, so I know he can smell it on him.

Braxton eyes him down and then looks back at me. There's a knock on the door before it swings open and the officer who let me use the phone, Davis, walks in with his gun aimed on Michaelson. Fierce follows in behind him taking in the scene looking displeased, but concerned.

"What is going on here?" Fierce marches over shoving Michaelson off of me.

"Who the hell do you think you are?" He barks back attempting to latch onto me.

"That is Mayor Fierce's son." Officer Davis snaps not lowering his gun. "And he asked you a question."

"We were attempting to remove her tongue," Braxton says, "sir," he quickly adds, "but she resisted." Fierce raises his eyebrow at me.

"And why would you be doing that?" He folds his arms across his chest appearing pissed.

"She kept talking back, sir." Braxton bites his cheek becoming aware he made a huge mistake.

"Was there a reason she felt the need to talk back?" His anger is apparent.

"I suppose Michaelson taunted her." Braxton admits stepping away from me. "She claimed he was intoxicated when he arrested her."

"Did you verify this information?"

"No, sir. I ignored her." Fierce laughs in his face.

"That much was obvious as you were inclined to cut out her tongue." Fierce turns around holding his hand out to Officer Davis. He pulls out a key from his pocket keeping his gun locked on Michaelson. Fierce reaches over and unlocks the handcuffs restraining me. He locks eyes with me. "Come on." He whispers softly helping me up out of my chair. "Wait outside for me. I'll be there in a second." He says into my ear which I barely hear. I leave the room, but wait in the hall. There is silence in the room before he finally speaks up. "I hope you go to hell, you sick bastard." His voice is gruff and intimidating.

I look over and watch him slam the door shut. He rests his back against it staring down at the floor. I jump out of skin as a gunshot explodes from the room behind him. He sighs walking away from the room finally noticing I'm not outside like he wanted. He walks toward me latching onto my arm like a leech. He nabs my bag back in a fluid motion before leading me outside the station and to his car. He tosses the bag on the ground and places his hands on my biceps. He lowers himself staring directly into my eyes.

"You okay?" His eyes hold worry and concern. I nod shrugging my shoulders. "Phoenix," he shakes me a little, "are you okay?" I exhale slowly before I shake my head no. He sighs pulling me into him tightly wrapping his arms around me. "Let's get you out of here."

Fierce snatches my bag from the ground as I pull open the passenger's door and slide into his car. He slams the key into the ignition and the engine roars to life. He quickly reverses the car before I even have my seat belt on. I bring my knees up to my chest and hug them trying to process everything. I catch Fierce glancing over at me every few minutes to make sure I'm alright. The car ride is silent until we reach a traffic light.

"Where were you heading before he arrested you?" He looks over at the bag sitting at my feet.

"The Tunnel." I mumble quietly. "My brother plans on telling my dad about me." Fierce's face appears distraught. "So I packed my bag and started heading toward The Tunnel." The light changes, but we don't move.

"Detope," he sighs heavily, "your leg is still healing. I know you've got moxie, but it would have given out at some point." He says ignoring the green light. "You should have called me before you got arrested. I would have --"

"I know." I interrupt feeling emotionally, mentally, and physically drained. "Will you please just take me to The Tunnel? I'm tired and want to forget about this." He sighs slowly hitting the gas pedal.

We sit in silence for the remaining duration of the car ride. It's close to midnight, but it feels much later. He parks in the garage letting his car rest for the night. We sit in the dark for a few minutes neither one of us willing to move first. I rub my raw wrists still feeling the metal secured around them. I glance over at him and see the sympathetic look on his face. I force a smile before I grab my bag and open my door. I utter a quiet thank you before slipping out of the car.

It's not too cold in the garage, but once I step out onto the street it gets colder. My face gets bombarded with a chilled gust of wind forcing my teeth to chatter. I fix my bag strap on my shoulder and trudge across the street to the stairs leading to the backdoor. I wrap my numb fingers around the door handle and pull with force. The door remains in place not budging. I yank it a few more times, but it refuses to open. I sigh realizing the cold weather made the door stick again. We have the same problem every year. I whip my head around when I hear footsteps running up behind me. Fierce brushes passed me gripping onto the handle and forcing the door open. I huff in defeat as I roll my eyes.

I wander inside feeling a little warmer. It's not as cold as it is outside, but it's still chilly. Fierce follows in after me which creates some confusion for me. I glare down the hall toward the plant shaking my head when I see the light is on in Gabe's "office." The fucker is still here. I snarl and head in the opposite direction.

I've stayed here in the past, but the last time I did most of the rooms were taken up. Fierce rests against the wall as I scale the hall up and down noticing only one room is occupied. I look at him slightly confused wondering where everyone is. He says since it's getting cold, nobody stays here. I shrug finally picking the same room I stayed in the last time; the back room on the right. He laughs at me as I toss my bag onto the bed and collapse right next to it.

He leans against the door frame with his arms folded. I stare down at my feet fighting the urge to ask him to stay with me for the night. He's already done so much and I hate how selfish I'm acting. He has a warm home and Kyra to take care of, why would he stay here? I sigh running my fingers through my hair. I finally look over at him as he appears content.

"I'm sorry." I swallow hard feeling embarrassed about the whole evening. He shrugs appearing not bothered by it. "I didn't think I'd cause so much trouble."

"You've always been a troublemaker. I've never asked you to change nor would I want you to." His eyes are fixed on me. "I just wonder sometimes if you ever think things through properly." He pinches the bridge of his nose.

"I'm sorry." I state again feeling like a kid apologizing to their parent.

"Talking back to an officer, Detope? Were you trying to get killed?" I shrug.

"He only threatened my tongue. Maybe if I didn't have one, Brestion would like me more." He shakes his head at me allowing the room to fall silent. "Did you tell that officer to kill Michaelson?" I ask noticing him shift uncomfortable.

"I wasn't sure what I would be walking into. He was prepared to shoot immediately, if need be."

"If need be?"

"If you were dead." He sighs shaking his head trying to get the thought of it out. "This is going to be difficult." He finds himself next to me on the bed.

"What is?" I ask.

"Admitting I don't want to lose you." He leans his elbows on his thighs resting his head in his hands. "I have no idea how you got to me, but you did." I place my hand on his shoulder which catches his attention. He looks back at me and I pull his face closer to mine. I press my lips on his allowing this moment to last forever.

"Don't make it sound like a bad thing." I smile on his lips kissing him again. He leans me onto my back while running his fingers through my hair.

"You, Phoenix Detope, will be the death of me."