Sequel: Renegade
Status: Rewritten and Complete

Traitors

Holiday

There is nothing worse than staring at a computer monitor for hours with tired eyes. Gabe has me working double time this week with all the training sessions and making sure Fierce doesn't go down a road to permanent destruction. After training in the morning, I run back to my room and make sure Fierce walks a little so his knee doesn't lock up. At the beginning of the week, it was difficult, but he seems to be doing a lot better. I haven't noticed any difference in how he acts which I guess is a good thing. Maybe he's just in the spirit of the holiday.

I've been watching the same footage for weeks and nothing appears out of the ordinary or gives us any leads. I let the recording of day three finish for the fourth time before I decide to give my eyes a break. I rest my headphones on my keyboard and lean back in my chair. My spine realigns itself making me feel a little better. I rise from my desk heading over to the training room. The room is empty which is surprising for the late afternoon. I open my locker off to the side and pull out my fingerless boxing gloves.

I strap them on my wrists tightly. I sigh rubbing the nape of my neck which is sore from sitting at my desk all day. I tighten my ponytail and face the punching bag. I unleash fast punches which gets the bag in motion. I lean on my left foot allowing my right leg to swing up and kick it a few times in a row attempting to get the strength back. The new muscle tissue on that side is pretty much broken in to how I move, but it's still inadequate compared to the other side.

My heart rhythmically beats in time with my punches knowing how great I feel at this moment. Sitting for too long really takes a toll on me and moving around and unleashing some energy helps with that. I lock myself in my own little world, kind of like when I burn down a building; no one else exists. It's been awhile since I've been sent out on that kind of mission which has me itching to go on a rampage and burn anything in sight. I know Gabe wants the remaining buildings down, but I feel Fierce is standing in the way of that because of what happened last time. To him, it's not just losing the arsonist anymore.

"Lookin' good." I turn around startled by the voice behind me. "You might actually stand a chance against Xaron." Fierce smirks leaning on the door frame. "I haven't seen him in action recently, but you're getting closer to his skill level." I brush some loose hair out of my eyes. It's been awhile since he's critiqued my combat skills. He glides with ease toward me showing off the progress he's made these past few weeks. He stops in front of me. "Still have to tighten up your core." He rests his hand on my stomach. "Your center of balance is here and one little mistake can throw that off. It's very important." He slides his hand down and rests it gently on my thigh. "You have to work on this leg. Someone with combat experience can tell you were injured here without even knowing the whole story." He gives my thigh a playful squeeze, but I retaliate aggressively shoving him back. "Still sensitive I see." He raises his fists insinuating he wants to spar.

"I'm not fighting you." I nudge passed him, but he grabs onto my arm pulling me back.

"Scared you're gonna lose?" I yank my arm from his grip.

"You're recovering." I remind him.

"That's a lame excuse."

He thrusts his left leg toward me and I manage to avoid it. I look at him irritated and surprised, but he only smirks. He jabs his fists toward me, but I block them. He stops occasionally waiting to see if I'll take the offensive, but I don't. He rolls his eyes and continues to punch. I deflect most of his punches, but once he lands a hit I can't seem to block them anymore. He backs me up against the wall giving me a chance to catch my breath.

"Fight back." He orders.

I glare up at him refusing to make a move. He growls forcing his fist in my direction. I duck down and his knuckles come in contact with the wall. He brushes it off like nothing happened and continues to cautiously chase me around the training room. We circle the room for awhile and I can tell he's frustrated that I'm not fighting back. I watch his movements and can tell he's recovering just fine, but I don't make any moves against him in case it sets him back. He launches his fist passed my ear, not even aiming for my face. He grabs a hold of my ponytail and pulls it downward. I fall onto my back having the wind knocked out of me. I stare up at the ceiling watching his silhouette slowly tower over me.

"Not your best fight, Detope." He hisses with disappointment in his voice. "There may come a time when you have to fight someone you once considered a friend or a colleague. You need to be prepared to always set your feelings aside and fight for yourself. You can't always talk your way out of things."

"Where was this lesson a few months ago? I could have used it. Maybe Simmons wouldn't have shot me."

"No, he would have." He turns away. "Get your goddamn hair secured. I'm not going to tell you again."

He begins to walk away when I kick my foot into the back of his right knee so he loses his balance and crashes to the floor directly onto that knee, keeping his recovering knee from the blow. He sits up facing away from me. I latch onto his body constricting him like a python. He forces his body back having me take the blast of the hit. I release my grip and he slowly climbs up onto his feet. He stares down at me waiting for me to get up. I rise up and face him beginning to punch frantically toward him. He easily blocks them, but doesn't see my leg whip around to catch his shoulder. I jab away at his stomach which he doesn't even try to stop me. He shoves me back when he's had enough. I grab onto his arm to hold him still and have my fist ready to strike across his cheek at any moment. He smiles down at me and nods approvingly.

"I'm proud of you, Phoenix. That's how you fight. That's how you set aside your feelings." I lean over and leave a kiss on his cheek.

"Detope! Fierce!" Gabe yells into the room. We quickly glance over at him. "There's something you have to see." He says with urgency in his voice.

Fierce looks to me then eagerly follows Gabe out of the room. I drag my feet after them and out into the plant where the main screen is on with a live feed of a press conference. Everyone is quiet with their eyes glued to the screen. Fierce scrunches his face in confusion as we stare at his father with a caption below him which reads, Mayor Fierce resigns. New leadership to come.

"My mission first and for most was to offer the people safety which I felt I gave to the best of my ability. As time lingered on, traitors emerged speaking messages that my actions were unfair and in no way safe. Though I know some are still out there with hopes to change the way of this society, I am here to say the pyromaniac has been caught and will be put to death for the charges against them." Fierce stares down at me with confusion. "This was a secondary goal of mine and now that I have completed it, I have decided to step down from my position and let someone younger with a new vision step in and take over. My time in office has been a superb one to say the least and I'm thankful for the time and patience you all have given me. I'm ready for a new chapter in my life and I think it's time for us to have a new voice. Thank you for your support and your kind words. I formally resign from my position as your leader, voice, and friend. No comments or questions. Thank you."

Gabe shuts off the screen as we stand in silence. He glances over at Fierce with a confused face to match his own. Fierce shakes his head, shrugging unsure of why this just happened. Gabe scratches his head before retreating to his office and planting himself into his chair. Slight murmurs resonate through the plant. I turn to face Fierce.

"I don't get it." I stare up at him. "I'm not in custody or anything. Why did he say I've been caught?"

"I don't know, Phoe." He sighs. "I think he just needed a reason to resign. Tell the people he did what he set out to do. He doesn't want them to know he failed." He shrugs.

"Yeah, but he doesn't know it's me, right? So if there really is someone in their custody, why would they want to pose as the arsonist?" He wraps his arm around me planting a kiss on the top of my head.

"I don't know what's going on, but I'm sure we'll figure it out." He rubs my arm gently. "C'mon, let's get out of here."

We aren't the only ones heading out quickly after Mayor Fierce's announcement. With him out of the way and no replacement yet, we have a nice break from the government. Plus it's our two weeks off for the holiday. I do plan on going home to be with my family for a little, but I decided to spend a few days with Fierce before he drives over to be with Mae and Peter for the holiday. I think it'll be nice for him to be home after being stuck at The Tunnel all week. I'm actually looking forward to seeing my family as well. I haven't been home to stay in awhile, but honestly they probably haven't been there either.

Fierce doesn't waste a second when we pull up to the house. I know he's excited to see Kyra after being away from her for what probably feels like years to him. He apologizes quickly before charging into the house. I hear him laughing as Kyra's bark echoes throughout the whole house. I carry in my duffel and close the door to the garage behind me. I smile feeling somewhat at home myself. It's nice being in a place that isn't as cold as it is outside.

I climb up the stairs where I'm greeted by bear paws resting on my shoulders and a nuzzle from Kyra. She licks my face then jumps down to follow Fierce around the house. He jumps up on the kitchen counter and starts listing off ideas for dinner. I let him pick whatever he is in the mood for. I leave my bag in the corner and rest on the couch. He gets to work on dinner and in the meantime I start a fire in the fireplace. I watch the flickering flames which brings a smile to my face. I wrap a blanket around myself and sit down in front of the fireplace.

Fierce joins me on the floor tossing a tiny wrapped box towards me and encouraging me to open it. I remind him that he didn't have to get me anything and that I'm not really into holiday festivities, but he ignores me. I roll my eyes and rip open the paper slipping off the top of the box. Inside is a hair claw clip that has turquoise rhinestones around a turquoise beaded flower in the center. I giggle loving it in every way, but also thrilled he will no longer yank my hair to prove a point during training.

I look up at him and he hands me a necklace. It's a phoenix with a chain attached to it's mouth which has a three tiny opal beads along it. He fastens it on my neck and smiles happily. I rest my new clip on the floor next to me and rise from my spot of the fireplace. I reach into the pocket of my duffel and pull out two new packs of cigarettes. I toss them over to him and see his face light up instantly. Jinks, his favourite brand which he barely smokes anymore because they're pretty expensive to buy all the time. He runs over to me lifting me up in his arms and twirling me around. He rests me down and places his lips on mine. I can feel his smile against my lips and I pray that this moment will last forever.

***

I reach my hand over expecting to feel his warmth, but I notice the spot next to me is vacant. I sit up, pulling the sheet up with me keeping my bare skin from being exposed. All lights in the room are off, but I hear some noise erupting from downstairs. I climb out of bed taking the sheet with me. I scan over the fabric scattered on the floor trying to decipher which article of clothing belongs to me. I manage to find my own pants, but the shirt I pick up isn't mine. I shrug pulling it on anyway. My hair hangs down in my face as I stealthily peek my head around the door frame to get a look down the hall. Multiple heavy footsteps charge up the stairs and I know they don't belong to Fierce. I rest my body against the door trying to think of what to do.

"We checked the entire area," a voice says, "but no sign of her."

"She's not here." Fierce says tiredly but is blatantly ignored.

"Dad," Aaron is here too, "if she is here, she's probably in his room. You should know better than anyone that she was never going to leave him." Shit!

"Good call." He praises. "Jackson, Greg, go fetch her for me."

My heart races wildly in my chest. I secure myself behind the door and wait for them. I hear their footsteps race down the hall. The light switches on and I can tell they're examining the state of the room. I hear them snicker as one lifts up my underwear and tucks them away in their back pocket. Disgusting! They continue to slowly stalk about the room in search of me. I see one heading toward the bathroom and the other looks at stuff on the dresser. I move the door slightly to get out from behind it. I go unseen by both as I walk up behind the one at the dresser. I get a whiff of kerosene on him and think about lighting him on fire.

"Greg!" The one at the dresser turns around and sees me.

I force my fist into his face catching him off guard. The one emerges from the bathroom ready to grab me, but I kick him away from me. Arms wrap around me suddenly causing me to freak out. I force my body backwards and ram him into the dresser. Loud crashing sounds explodes within the room. I head for the door, but I come face to face with Aaron. He folds his arms across his chest buying the two idiots enough time to grab onto me. They escort me down the hall which I don't make easy for them as I flail and squirm the entire way. They lead me to the living room where I find Mayor Fierce pacing back and forth.

"Ah! There she is!" His hands gesture to me. I scowl at him growing tired of seeing his mug. He snaps his fingers and I feel a hand slide into my back pocket. Fierce moves forward unhappy with the action his brother just did, but he's pushed back by the Russian. Aaron tosses my lighter to his father and he smiles delightedly while I catch a glimpse of a gun secured in his jacket.

"I knew you'd have a lighter for me to use." He glances over his shoulder. "I thought you said she wasn't here." Fierce scowls keeping his mouth shut until the Russian latches onto him and he winces.

"Don't touch him again." I say to her.

"You don't scare me." She spits back tossing her hair over her shoulder and rolling her eyes.

"Really?" I snuff air from my nose as a snicker. "That bruise looks bad, how did you get it?" The Russian marches toward me insinuating a fight, but Mayor Fierce stops her.

"Okay ladies, that's enough. Vera, be a dear and escort my son outside. I need to have a private word with Ms. Detope."

"Like hell you will!" Fierce jumps from the chair toward him. Mayor Fierce reaches for his gun.

"Logan!" I shout before Mayor Fierce can pull it out to shoot. He freezes noticing the gun and regretfully backs off allowing the Russian to take him outside.

"He's so dramatic, isn't he?" He plays around with my lighter. "I just want to talk with you." He looks at the pictures on the mantel. "I know you saw my resignation speech today. And might I say, it was quite difficult for me to do." He turns to face me with a frown on his face. "All of it was true though. Nothing stated was a lie. Ms. Detope, I know who you are and what you do. You've been the biggest pain in my ass since you started destroying my buildings. So why should you get a happy ending when I, myself, don't get one? What have I done to deserve this? All I was trying to do was fix the broken piece of shit our country was in and all you did was burn it to the ground. How fair is that?" He hisses taking a step toward me. "Let me answer for you, it's not fair. So I'm here to give you a taste of your own goddamn medicine." Aaron scatters kerosene around the room. He throws some on me before he disappears down the hall. Mayor Fierce walks up to me gripping my face in his hand. "You messed with the wrong man." He smirks. "I'll see you in hell, Ms. Detope." The back of my head explodes with a searing pain and I tumble forward blacking out.

The smell of smoke and kerosene is overwhelming to my nose. My vision is wonky and I can't focus on the muffled voices. My head throbs intensely making me feel sick. My body feels like it's in motion which isn't helping my stomach keep anything inside it. I roll onto my side which really feels like I'm falling. I vomit up the unidentifiable substance from my stomach. I continue to throw up in the snow realizing I'm outside. I feel dry, rough hands grab onto me knowing they're not Fierce's. I crawl away in the snow fighting them off as best I can.

"What'd you do?" I hear a muffled voice say.

"She pushed herself out of my arms and onto the ground. She started do that when I tried to pick her back up." The other voice says. They sound familiar, but I can't make them out.

I rest my head in the snow feeling myself lose consciousness again. My eyes become entranced by the bright orange, yellow, and red light dancing in the wind. I extend my hand out toward it, wanting to be a part of the dance, but it's out of reach. I'm picked up off the ground and carried away from the dancing light. I'm thrown into the backseat of a car and rest my pounding head against the window. I reek of kerosene which makes me want to throw up again. The car I'm in starts up and I'm taken away from the light.

A hand gently rests on my shoulder, and even though my vision is blurry I know it's Fierce. I offer him a smile, but I know he isn't buying it.

"He won." Words fly out of my mouth tasting worse than vomit.

"You're alive," he whispers, "so you won." His face illuminates from the street lights we pass by.

He takes me into his chest and holds me there.
♠ ♠ ♠
That's all she wrote, folks!

If you liked it, check out the continuation of this story, Renegade.