Until the End

Chapter One: The Kingdom Weakens

There was a silence around the table. An uncomfortable, heavy silence…Across from me, my sister, Elizabeth had lowered her head, lips trembling.

“I see…” Our father’s deep voice shattered the silence. I looked over at my father. His voice was calm, as well as his expression. But everyone at the table knew better than to trust that calm demeanor-he was angry, undeniably angry.

“You mean to fight for them?”

“Yes father, we do.” Johnathan, my eldest brother, replied. His gaze never once wavered from my father’s.

He always was a stupid boy.

“Do what you both conceive to be your duty. But know that if you leave, neither of you are allowed back in this house…nor are you my sons.”

“We understand,” my other brother, Michael, said quietly, his voice barely above a whisper.

“Fine,” Johnathan replied coldly. “We’ll be leaving to sign up tonight. We will find somewhere else to stay until we ship out.” He slid his chair back and stood, walking around the table.

He stooped down, placing a kiss to our mother’s cheek. Michael quickly followed suit.

Once they had left the room, Elizabeth looked up at me. Her eyes were huge with unshed tears. “Y-You won’t leave, will you Charlie? You’ll stay with me?”

“Charles, Elizabeth, Charles.” I corrected gently. “Don’t worry. I won’t be leaving for quite awhile.”

“But you’ll leave?” The small girl persisted, the look in her eyes begging me to say no. But I couldn’t bear to lie to her.

“Perhaps, when a regiment comes to town or is formed. It would be my duty.”

“And right now, your duty is to finish your supper.” My mother chided.

“Sorry mother,” I apologized, bowing my head and returning to my meal.

~~~~

“And they lived happily ever after.” I finished, ruffling Elizabeth’s hair.

Elizabeth smiled up at me. “You were the prince, right? And I was the princess! A-And you beat the dragon so we could go home to mother and father!”

I nodded, “That’s right, Lizzy. Now close your eyes and get to sleep.” I patted her on the head once more before heading for the door.

Just before I left, I flicked the light off, leaving the room bathed in the soft glow of her nightlight.

“…Only our kingdom is crumbling…”