Until the End

Prologue

“You scared?” The man beside me asked quietly. “…’Cause I am.” A light accent laced his words, though where exactly he was from I couldn’t place.

“No. Not particularly,” I replied quietly, tracing shapes onto the back of my hand. Circles, stars, squares-anything that came to mind, anything to distract me. Truth be told, I was scared.

No, I was absolutely mortified.

“You think we’re gonna die?” This time when he spoke, I raised my gaze to his. He looked more like a boy than a man; perhaps barely bordering on seventeen. A light spatter of freckles covered the bridge of his nose, and his eyes were the clearest shade of blue I’d ever seen.

“…Most definitely,” I replied, smiling bitterly. “But it’s okay, it’s fine. If we die, well…that’s just what was supposed to happen.”

He frowned. “You sure aren’t a positive one, are you?”

“Not at all. But you wouldn’t be either if you knew you were potentially going to face your traitor brothers.”

“…What?”

“Nothing.” I stood, abruptly cutting the conversation short. “Don’t worry about it, okay? It hardly matters.”

“But-”

“Just shut your mouth and mind your business, okay?” Without another word, I walked away from him, taking up a spot far away from the others.

I didn’t want to be here. I wanted to be anywhere else other than here. Anywhere sounded nice.

Especially since I knew there was a chance I would face my brothers in battle. I hated them…and I didn’t. They made their choice, and I made mine.

The only problem was the fact I might see them die right in front of me.

And that was the last thing that I wanted.