The Written Word

Chapter 2

“Casey Morgan,” Mr Henderson called out, holding up a white envelope with her name on it. She walked up slowly, not looking all that excited for someone who was about to receive word from someone famous. I had heard a rumour she got Dr Phil though, so I didn’t blame her.

“Dylan White.” Asshole.

“Victoria Henley.” Slut.

“George Christian.” Hot as hell but shy.

“Alyssa Donovan.” Sweet as pie.

“Belle Darling.” Kind of a loner- oh wait. I stood from my seat and wandered up to the desk. Mr Henderson handed me a dark red envelope with the logo for All Time Low stamped on the front. I took it off him as the bell went, walking back to my seat slowly. People all around me were ripping open their letters like it was life or death, desperate to read the responses from such famous people. I on the other hand, carefully slipped it into my bag between my guitar class book and my pay slip from the cafe.

“You’re not going to open it now?” Brooke asked incredulously, having already read though her own response once or thirty times.

“Nah, I have a three hour shift at ‘Music 4 life’ today. It’s never busy, so I figure it’ll give me something to do,” I shrugged. She gave me a weird look, but nodded anyway.

Not a minute later the class ended and everyone slowly began to pack up. “Please have your replies done in the next few days. Remember you must have a minimum of 20 letters sent or received by the end of the year to pass this course,” Mr Henderson called above the noise. A few people nodded, but he was other wise ignored.

I gave him a smile as I passed, and he grinned back funnily. I rolled my eyes at his antics and continued towards the door, leaving Brooke behind to talk with one of her other, friendlier friends.

I leant against the wooden counter in the corner of the shop, bored out of my brain as the only customer in here was a 60 year old man over by the Disney records. I prayed to God he was looking for a present for a granddaughter.

The few perks to working at a music shop included the honour to pick which CD’s were being played through the shop. I had Simple Plan, Welcome to My Life playing quietly from the speakers. I would crank it up once the old guy left. I tapped along with the beat, loving this song more than words could describe.

The shop was small, but absolutely brilliant. It was my favourite place to be, even if it did get boring as hell when it emptied out. Which was all the time. It was under a bowling alley, and you had to go down some creepy stairs to get to it. But once someone found it, they always kept coming back.

Finally, after what must have been half an hour of careful searching the man waddled up to me and held out two CDs. “Excuse me young lady,” he smiled over his glasses. “I want to purchase these two discs for my Granddaughter, she’s 10. Will she like them?”

I smiled genuinely at his kind personality and glances at his choices. Miley Cryrus’s old album and the Hannah Montanna soundtrack. If I had to listen to either one I’d slice off my ears. However I put myself in a 10 year old’s shoes and nodded, “She’ll love them Sir.”

“Brilliant!” he cheered and placed them before me, pulling out a fifty as I ringed them up on the ancient machine. “Do you know where I can get a card for her as well?”

“Certainly,” I smiled again. He was so kind, you could see his face covered in laugh lines. “Just across the road is a 24 hour newsagent, they have some beautiful cards I’m sure she’d love.”

“Thank you very much,” he nodded contently as I handed him the small plastic bag with the CDs in it. I pulled out a 10 and made to give it to him when he stopped my gently. “Keep the change Darling.”

I gaped at him in disbelief, “Are-are you sure?”

“Of course, I insist.”

“Thank you so much Sir,” I breathed, feeling a little choked up. “I hope your Granddaughter likes her presents.”

He gave me one last smile and wandered out the door. I stuffed the ten in my jean pocked, thankful I didn’t have to wear a uniform on this job. I was just hoping the man got across the road safely when I remembered something, the letter!

I reached down to my school bag I kept safe under the counter and I pulled out the red envelope. I didn’t feel nervous at all, I simply ripped it open as I was glad for something to do. I bobbed my head along to ‘I’m Just A Kid’ as I slowly read Alex Gaskarth’s reply to my letter.

Hey Belle,

It’s rad to hear from you. I’ll admit that I don’t have a clue how this whole thing works either. Unlike you, I haven’t been given any prompt cards. I guess I’ll start by answering your questions.

For the record, I like your name. It has a certain ring to it. You go to a performing arts school and work two jobs? Sounds hectic. Are you and your siblings close? What are your parents like? If you don’t wanna go solo, then are you thinking of joining a band or something instead?

I agree, that prompt was creepy as fuck. Your hair sounds awesome, and I’d like to hear about your tattoos. I’ve got 3, and if you tell me the story of yours, I might just tell you mine. I know you said not to ask, but after saying it had to do with the law, I don’t think I’ve got a choice. What exactly happened to keep you in school? I bet it’s something completely embarrassing and hilarious.

It’s cool how by doing this assignment thing you’ll get introduced to more of our music and stuff, maybe you’ll even like it. Who the fuck knows?

I’ve never had Vegemite before but I hear good things about it. Whenever I end up making it over there I promise to try some and let you know if it’s as wonderful as you claim. Don’t even get me started on my favourite bands. Blink 182 though is probably our biggest influence for sure. I love being in a band, its fucking insane! We get along… mostly. I’ve known the boys through most of high school, so we’re best friends.

Jack, Rian and Zack all say hi by the way.

I absolutely promise to keep writing you as long as you keep writing me. Anyway, you seem really awesome and down to earth, so I mostly trust you not to flash everything I say all over tumblr. A few questions, real quick. And you have to answer them honsestly.

1. Where are you and what are you doing RIGHT NOW?!

2. What are you wearing RIGHT NOW?

3. What’s your favourite drink?

4. What’s your favourite song, ever?

Okay, I’m all out. Promise to write soon? Believe it or not, sometimes being on the road gets kind of boring. So pick up a pen and answer the questions!

Alex ;)

P.S. You’re a good drawer; I hope I don’t suck too much.

I laughed; the bottom of the page was covered in guitars and music notes, along with a skull or two. He was funny, and seemed pretty down to earth. In fact, if we lived near each other, and if he wasn’t famous, I could see us being friends. I glanced over at the shops alternative section, pursing my lips and forming an idea in my head.

I put the letter on the counter and held it down with the stapler. I quickly scanned the store and found it was indeed empty, so I stood from behind the counter and walked to the back corner, looking over all the alternative music set up alphabetically. My eyes drifted to the ‘A’ row.

It took a few minutes but I finally located their little section, and I pulled out the three CD’s we had in stock. I looked over the colourful cases curiously. They seemed cool enough. I picked one at random but didn’t bother to look over it. When I got back behind the counter, I pulled open the alternative draw behind me, and located the correct disc to the CD. Then I slotted it into the shops old stereo system.

It took a moment or two to start up, so I wandered around the shop to begin unpacking some boxes while I listened.

Needless to say, it wasn’t long before I was bobbing my head to the music. Or long after that I was shaking my hips. Or long after that I was singing along. Surprisingly, I found them amazing. If that was Alex’s voice, I was definitely impressed.

It was toward the end of one of the CD’s, a song came on that completely stumped me. I swallowed thickly as I listened carefully to the lyrics, tears nearly coming to my eyes. It was like it was written for me, the lyrics were amazing, and they struck emotions deep inside me I usually ignored. I listened to it twice, before skipping over it and getting into some more songs, trying to keep away from breaking down.

After taking stock and going through two of the discs, I decided I would just write now so I didn’t have to do it at home. I found some simple supply paper and an envelope. It took me a while to find a pen, but luckily there was one in the bottom left draw. It was bright sparkly green, but I made do.

Dear Alex,

Hey, how’s everything where you are? I’m at work right now, in the music shop. Ignore the pen, it’s the only one I could find. My boss is a little… eccentric.

My siblings and I used to be really close. Since Sarah has reached her teens, we’ve drifted apart. She likes to blame everything that’s happened on me, but what can you do? My brother and I are exceptionally close, though I suppose considering his disability…

I frowned as I re-read what I had written, was that too much information? Something in me was telling me to blurt it all out on this paper; one of my many councillors said writing things out was good. However, did I really want someone reading it? Especially someone I didn’t know?

The answer was yes. I could tell someone completely biased, someone I would never ever have to meet in person, someone who had so much more important things going on in his life that he would more than likely forget all about it in a month or so. Swallowing thickly I continued writing in silence, only the sound of the odd passing car echoing through the empty store.

Nate has an intellectual disability, so he gets kind of clingy and dependant on those around him. He’s sweet as pie, and I love him more than anything, but sometimes it’s hard to describe us as close, when my only real purpose in his life is buttoning his shirt and helping with his homework. It makes me sound terrible, right? Parents aren’t in the picture, it’s just us.

I wouldn’t mind joining a band. When I look to my future, I see myself working with others on a stage. It’s hard to find people to start a band with in Australia though, we’re pretty relaxed and it’s not as though I’m exactly a social butterfly.

What happened to expel me? Well let’s just say that spray cans and lighters don’t mix, and you’ll have to take my word on that. The tattoo’s are kind of personal, and no offence but I’m not entirely sure you’d understand.

You’ll be pleasantly surprised to know that I just so happen to enjoy your music very much. I’m listening to one of your CD’s now. Tell your lead guitarist that he absolutely killed it in ‘Jasey Rae’. On a completely serious note, I just wanted to say that the song therapy is quite possibly the most beautiful and perfect song I have ever heard in my life, and easily my new favourite. I’m sure you get it a lot, but thank you.

Would it be totally lame if I admitted I didn’t have a Tumblr account? Or a Twitter? I have facebook, but I go on it maybe once a month. I’m technologically challenged.

1. RIGHT NOW I’m at work, at the music shop which is completely devoid of life, bar myself and a spider in the corner I can’t find it in me to kill.
2. What am I wearing? You perv! Only jeans, converse and a David Bowie shirt, sorry to disappoint ;)
3. Favourite drink? Bourbon vanilla coke.
4. My favourite song ever? Other than Therapy? Definitely ‘Aint No Rest For the Wicked’ by Cage the Elephant.

Now QUICK, answer these questions!

1. What are you wearing right now?
2. Cats or dogs?
3. Pirates or ninja’s?

Okay, I’m all out. Hope to hear from you soon, Rockstar.

Belle 

P.S. You’re absolutely amazing at drawing, if the whole music thing doesn’t work out, I can definitely see art in your future ;)