Don't Forget

"Après vous Mademoiselle."

After Connor finished setting the table, his parents ordered him to bring out the food while they talked and drank. The atmosphere was happy, but Mia didn't feel like she could join in. She didn't know these people. Mia focused on moving the Meatloaf and peas around on her plate to make it look like she ate it. She cut the meat loaf and moved some pieces to one side the peas she was able to hide in the piles of meat loaf on either side. After everyone else was done, Connor cleared the plates. John and Uncle Mark? were in a heated discussion about why John was still a Raiders fan after their horrendous football career the past ten years.

“Connor,” Sylvia said right as Connor was leaving through the hall probably to return to his room, “Why don’t you show Mia,” She smiled at Mia. Mia felt uncomfortable again, “the house?”

“Mia doesn't need to see the house, do you Mia?” Connor said. All attention was on her again.

Mia fidgeted with the back of her hair. She glanced at her dad still in his discussion. He was giving her a warning look, “I don’t think I have a choice.”

“What sweetheart?” Sylvia asked.

“I’ll go.” Mia said louder and tried her best to enunciate. She stood up and ran her hands against her dress again.

Connor sighed, “Fine.” When Mia met him at the mouth of the hall he turned and opened a door to the left. He turned on the light and moved out of the way so Mia could see the small blue-tiled staircase leading down to another white door, “After you.”

Mia went down the stairs slowly. Connor followed close behind her. They reached the next door and there was only just enough room for him to quickly reach around her and open the door to their left. The room was large and had a blue glow. Connor ran his hand up the side wall flicking the switch to turn on the lights.

“This is our pool.” He said. He turned off the light and Mia took it as her cue to return to the staircase. She would have started climbing it if Connor wasn’t leaning his arm in her way. Mia backed against the wall opposite him. This guy has absolutely no concept of personal space… “Our parents seem hell bent on us spending time alone together, any idea why?”

“So that they can talk about us freely.” Mia shrugged.

“Yeah, that’s probably it,” Connor snorted, “My dad’s also deathly afraid I’m in the closet.”

Mia snorted too, “That would be a shame.” She meant for it to be a joke, but when she looked up at Connor she couldn't laugh. He wasn’t blinking again, “What?”

“Did you even taste the meat loaf?”

It was such a shocking off topic question Mia didn’t have an answer for him at first. He’s been watching me? For how long? Why?

“I wasn’t hungry.” Mia decided this was the best answer.

“You guys ate before you came?”

“Why does it matter?” Mia didn't need this from another man, “One dad’s enough thank you.” Mia ducked under Connor’s arm and lead the way up the stairs. He caught her hand stopping her, “You’re sickly thin, I’m sure just a little food would do you good.”

“That’s really none of your business.” Mia snatched her hand out of his and he followed her up the stairs for a short silence. Sickly thin? Mia looked down at her dress that seemed to float lightly around her frame, I’m not that thin…

When they were back in the hall he opened another door directly across the hall. He switched the light on and she saw it was their laundry room. He switched the light back off and closed the door back.

“Through there’s the T.V. room and that’s the sitting room.” Connor pointed, “We don’t really use it.” He crossed his arms leaning against the wall that was half railing for the stairs, “You think they’re done talking about us?” Mia shrugged. She leaned against the wall opposite him sitting on her hands. “If you could have any superpower which would you choose?” He asked.

“What’s with all the questions?”

“Just making small talk.” It was Connor’s turn to shrug.

“I hate small talk.”

“What?” Connor said leaning forward so he could hear her better. He was way too close. She could smell the Axe body spray mixed with sweat on him. She shook her head. He moved so he was leaning on the same wall as Mia facing her, “You must get your eyes from your mom.”

“You don’t have to be nice to me because of our parents.” Mia said looking at the small table before her. It had a bowl on it with a tangle of keys. She could feel his stare like warm prickles on her cheek, “You were on your way somewhere before your mom stopped you. I’ve seen all the house I want to see you can go do what you want.”

“What are you going to do?”

Mia immediately got angry. Why wouldn't he leave her alone already? “I’m not going to steal anything if that’s what you mean.” Mia crossed her arms and faced him.

Connor made a hissing cat sound and clawed at her with his hand. Mia sighed rolling her eyes. I am so over this! She stomped away into the kitchen. Connor snickered following after her. What is he twelve? Mia saw John was still sitting where he’d been all night. She tapped his arm politely interrupting them, “Can I go home?”

“Why? What’s wrong?” John asked glancing over Mia at Connor.

Uh-oh “No, it’s not like that.” Mia said quickly trying to reassure her father.

"I can take her." Connor said.

Shit! This was not going according to plan. John looked to Mia. If Mia insisted on John taking her she knew he’d want to know every detail of her conversation with Connor as an explanation as to why she wanted to leave early. She didn’t want him to know she hadn’t eaten yet another meal. If Mia said yes she’d have to spend the next few minutes trapped in a car with the crazy diligent maniac who caught her.

“Is that OK with you Mia?” John asked. Mia felt guilty, her dad was always so sincere.

“Yeah it’s fine.” Mia lied putting on a polite smile. Mia turned to face Connor and Connor was grinning broadly. He stepped aside.

Après vous Mademoiselle.1” He said bowing a little. French? Really? Mia rolled her eyes again as she walked ahead of him.

1. After you m'lady.