Don't Forget

"You Kept It"

*Summer 2003*

Mia watched Connor move fair Juliet’s hair so he could kiss her shoulder. Juliet turned to him ginning. Mia didn't know how much more of this she could take.

“Stop it!” Juliet mouthed to him before biting her lip. Mia’s stomach flipped when she saw Juliet’s hand shift, probably to Connor’s leg. Mia stood scraping her chair loudly against the linoleum floor. Mia’s father gave her a question look.

“I’m not hungry,” Mia said to her father, “May I be excused?” Please! she begged him in her mind.

“But it’s spaghetti night,” He said, “I thought you said it was your favorite.”

“I did and it is…” Mia said quickly thinking of a lie, “I was eating while we were cooking though. I think it ruined my appetite.” She ventured a glance across the table and immediately wished she hadn't. Connor was touching Juliet’s face now. Connor still hadn't even glance her way during the entire meal. He never did. Mia swallowed.

“OK, well I guess you’re excused then.” Her father said.

Mia nodded not trusting herself to speak. She rushed from the room as fast as she could, away from the couple. She went into the lime green bathroom her dad had designated for her and turned on the hot water. The steam fogged up half of the mirror. She stared at her reflection. How could I be so stupid? She grabbed her yellow face cloth from the towel rack and stuck it under the scalding water, enjoying the sting. She ran it across her eyes trying to remove the cat-eye eyeliner she’s worked so hard to learn to paint on her eyelids. For him… She thought. The tears started and she wiped harder dunking her hand in for more stinging. She ran the hot towel across her lips removing her lip gloss. Of course he doesn’t want me. She sobbed at at the thought. I’ll always be a kid to him. She stopped wiping when her watch chimed the sound for Link solving a puzzle at her wrist. She clutched her wrist. It didn’t bring her comfort, only more aching in her chest. What was I thinking?

There was a knock at the door and Mia carefully blew her nose before calling, “Coming in just a sec.” She took a few deep breaths and found some sort of center. She practiced her smile in the mirror. There was another knock.

“What are you doing in there?” Connor's voice. Her stomach flipped again.

Mia turned off the water. She put on her smile and cautiously opened the door, “Just washing up for bed, Jeez.”

“Ah, you got rid of all that make up.” Connor smiled. It hurt her, “You look much better.”

“Thanks,” She sounded much more upbeat than she felt. She wished he was meaner so at least she could muster some more animosity towards him instead of her self. So stupid! Her mind hissed.

“We’re gonna head back now.”

“So soon?” Mia hated her voice cracked. So childish… Her mind hissed.

“Yeah I forgot to mention it Juliet’s vegan.”

“Oh,” Mia felt guilty, “I’m so sorry. I could make her a salad or something; I’m sure we have it in the fridge.”

Conner grimaced as if her words caused him pain, “I told her not to come, but she insisted. I’m sorry about her. She’s got...Particular tastes…” He said.

I’ll say…

“You’re driving all the way back tonight? You’re not going back to your parent’s?”

“Nah they wouldn't let us sleep in the same room.” Connor sighed before crossing his arms to mock his father, “If you sleep under my roof you follow my rules.” It was an uncanny imitation.

The same room…Mia echoed in her head and then concluded sadly, The same bed…

“You managed to keep it.” Conner said grabbing her wrist. The sudden physical contact was almost too much.

“You didn't,” Mia’s voice was a hoarse whisper.

“C-bear?” Juliet’s wind chime voice called from down the hall. The wood creaked indicating her climbing the stairs.

“You should go. She’s too pretty to be kept waiting.” Mia said, “It was good seeing you.” She looked up at his face pulling her wrist out of his grip.

His eyebrows were furrowed. Mia wasn't sure what that look meant. “I did keep it.” He said.

What? But before Mia could ask the question aloud she saw Juliet’s hand snake their way up Connor’s chest. The aching sprang up a new in Mia’s chest. Connor smiled kissing Juliet’s fingertips oh so lightly.

“Hey baby,” He said turning to her. Mia turned away and started to walk to her room.

“Mia just hold on a sec.” Connor said stopping her in her tracks.

Mia crossed her arms under her breasts and dug her nails into her arms. The sting was just enough, she shivered. She was vaguely aware of them speaking in hushed loving tones to each other. She dug deeper, the stinging got worse. Mia heard Juliet’s boots clump away from the two of them back down the stairs. Mia bit her lip and welcomed the pain to join the stinging in her arms.

“Hey stop it.” Connor was in front of her removing her hands. He rubbed his thumb over the claw marks she’d left in her arm, “Don’t hurt yourself like that.”

“Stop acting like my dad,” Mia said swiping his hands away, “One’s enough already.” She noticed the green floral wall paper the lined the hall was peeling in a corner near the floor revealing the plaster. Her house was old, but her dad always kept it really neat. She’d need to tell him about that peeling later.

“Is that what you were doing in there?” He hissed the question, “Hurting yourself?”