Don't Forget

The B test

Connor hadn't realized what was happening until it was too late. Mia said, “Bye.” Before hopping out of Connor’s car and running up to her house. It was a record time for her. Connor was left in the car with her little friend, Beatrice.

Connor put the car in drive and started going down the road to the main highway. Beatrice sat in the passenger seat facing him and glaring. Better get this over with…

“Go ahead, ask me your questions.” Connor said.

“Turn right.” Beatrice said. Connor followed her directions. Then she was silent for few minutes that seemed to stretch into an eternity. Connor started to think he somehow had dodged the bullet,

“We’re ball parking your age at about thirty-five early forties.”

“Do I really look that old?” Connor smirked.

“No that’s what makes you so dangerous.”

“We?”

“Me and Eric.” Beatrice said.

Oh good, she’s not biased or anything…

“You and Eric spending a lot of time together now that they've broken up.”

“We spend a lot of time together regardless.”

“You like him.”

“Uh no,”Beatrice said, “he’s like a brother to me.”

“Like me and Mia?”

“No,” Beatrice shook her head, “Nothing like you and Mia’s Lolita fetish shit.”Oh she’s just the sweetest… Connor rolled his eyes, “This isn't about me and Eric though, this is about you.”

“I still haven’t heard a question yet.”

“How old are you?” Beatrice said, “And no bullshit I’ll cross-check with Mia later.”

“I don’t have a reason to lie about my age.” Connor said shrugging, “I turn twenty-two in August, so technically I’m twenty-one. Next question?”

“How do you know each other?”

“Our dad’s went to the same college. For a while our parents would double date and stuff. We were practically raised together until my family moved out here when I was nine.”

Beatrice was quiet again for a few moments. Connor began to hope that the lines of questions were over.

“You should get in the right lane to exit.” Beatrice’s tone never changed. It was irritating, like talking to a robot instead of a person. Connor did as he was directed. Beatrice continued to give him directions and they pulled up in front of her house.

“Are you in love with Mia?”

“No,” Connor said automatically, “She’s a bit too damaged…”

“You spend a lot of time with her.” Beatrice said, “Even I felt the energy there.”

Connor snorted, “Teenagers.” Connor said, “You think everything means something.”

“Methinks the lady doth protest too much.” Beatrice said. Then she smirked, “Ok, you pass for now, but if I hear anything about you breaking my friend’s heart know that I will cut yo pretty face.” Beatrice mimicked the pimp from Kill Bill.

“It would be an improvement I’m sure.” Connor smirked.

Beatrice got out of the car and Connor peeled off from the curb outside her house. On his drive home he went over everything in his head. Beatrice said he passed, but what did that mean to teen-aged girls. He shook his head. He really needed to start hanging out with people his age.