Don't Forget

“Let me up.”

Mia pressed the buzzer twice.

“Who is it?” Connor's voice crackled on the speaker.

“It’s Mia, let me up.”

There was a pause.

“This is a fiancee-free-zone, sorry.” He said.

Mia turned and looked down the street from her perch on his stoop. It was warm out and it seemed everyone had a place to be, but her. The place she wanted to be she was locked out of. For good reason, she’d really hurt him. But she couldn't stay away. All she really thought about since she said yes was how it felt to finally have Connor, all of him. The way his icy-blue eyes seemed to burn in the dim light. A release of ten years worth of built up sexual tension. Mia shivered even in the warm September afternoon. If she left now, that would be it. She couldn't let it go.

It was as if she was two people in one body. One was still that girl hopelessly in love with Connor and would be no matter what he did to her or she did to him. The other needed Eric desperately. He was like the air she breathed. Not even a thought but a necessary constant. The two sides warred with each other until now she had convinced herself coming back to Connor's apartment was the only thing that would set her straight. Maybe this was it? Mia turned to leave and the door buzzed. She rushed to it.

*

Outside his apartment she was stuck again. She wiped her palms off on her dress. She’d already climbed the seven flights of stairs to get there she might as well go in, but what would that mean? She didn't have time to ponder on it much longer before Connor opened his door.

“Were you just going to stand there psyching yourself out?” Connor smirked.

“I wasn't psyching myself out...I was just”-

“What are you doing here Mia?” Connor said leaning on his door. Mia was reminded of the first time they met. He wasn't blinking. Mia looked away, a part of her was afraid he could read her if she met his eyes.

“Can I come in?”

“I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“Why not?”

“Because if you come in here, I’m going to fuck you in that dress whether you’re getting married or not.” Connor said. Mia looked to him again. His stare felt like it was burning her from the inside out. Her heart felt like it was attempting to escape her chest, “I don’t think Wonder Boy would appreciate that very much.”

“What Wonder Boy doesn't know can’t hurt him…” Mia said. She heard Connor shift. She looked up and he was smiling at her. It was the same mischievous grin he gave her that first day.

He stepped aside, "Après vous Mademoiselle."