Don't Forget

Trouble in Paradise

“God Connor was right,” Mia said pinching the bridge of her nose to fight the oncoming migraine, “You are Wonder-Boy.”

Eric and Mia stood on a mostly deserted main street. It was dusk and they had just left a theater. Mia was fed up. One side of Eric was the sweetest most loving boyfriend Mia thought existed on the face of the planet. The type to surprise you with gorgeous portraits of you sleeping or your favorite flowers. The problem was when the coin flipped sides. He turned into Christian Grey, with the stalking, controlling tendencies, and the possessiveness. Mia had just stopped him from getting into an argument with a guy on the street who cat-called her. Eric was always there to her rescue and she was sick of it.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Eric said, “You always bring that lecherous bastard up when you have a problem.”

“That lecherous bastard is my friend.”

Was your friend before he left you alone in an airport remember?” Eric said exasperatedly, “And who was there yet again to pick up the pieces.”

“Beatrice,” Mia growled. She turned on her heels and stomped away.

“Mia, where are you going?”

“Away from you,” Mia said.

“Mia you don’t even know where you are.” Eric said.

He does have a point. Mia finally stopped rolling her eyes.

“Let’s just talk about this.”

“We already have talked about this.” Mia huffed, “I think I’m done.”

“Done with today or”-

“Done with all of it.” Mia said turning to face Eric finally, “I’m going with Beatrice to New York.”

“Then I’m going too.”

“No,” Mia said taking both of Eric’s hands, “You can’t.”

“Why not?” Eric said exasperatedly, “What difference does it make?”

“You’re so close to having your own shop.” Mia said, “You can’t just drop everything you’ve worked so hard for for me.”

“That’s my choice to make.” Eric said putting his hand to Mia’s cheek. She kissed his palm.

“I need to do this, on my own,” She added when he opened his mouth to say something, “Somewhat anyway. I gotta know what I am outside of your girlfriend. Please Eric, I gotta know I can do this.”

Eric sighed, “OK fine, but as soon as everything’s settled I’m coming for you in New York.” Eric said.

“I wouldn’t have it any other way.” Mia said. She lifted herself to her tippy-toes so that their lips met. If only things could always stay this simple.