Don't Forget

Christmas in September

Connor answered his phone as soon as he saw the caller ID. It was Christmas Eve, but the baby wasn't due until the first. If Eric was calling there was something wrong.

“Hello?”

“We’re at Highland Hospital,” Eric’s voice was frantic, “It’s all my fault I didn't know she would-If I knew I wouldn't have”-

“Eric!” Connor shouted over him and Eric stopped his rant, “I’ll be there in a couple hours,” Connor put on his coat and took the stairs down from his room three at a time, “Until I get there I need you to calm down. It’s not helpful to panic.”

“I was so wrong Connor.” Eric’s voice cracked, “I’m so sorry.”

“I’m sure you’re taking on much more guilt than is due.” Connor said. You weren't the one who agreed to the stupid deal and ran away with his tail between his legs. Connor added in his head.

“Just get here as soon as you can.” Eric said, “We need you.”

Connor froze. He didn't know what to say, “OK, bye.” He hung up. He leaned against the wall opposite the end table with the keys bowl. This was too much. They needed him? What did that mean? Could he really step up?

“What’s going on?” Sylvia asked from the end of the hall. She was drying a plate.

“I think Mia’s having the baby.” Connor said hoarsely.

“Oh honey,” Sylvia said she went to put down the plate before going to her son. She put her hand on his shoulder, “You didn't tell us it was yours.”

Connor opened his mouth to explain to his mother when there was a loud pounding at the door. He went to open it half predicting who it was. John looked pale.

“You get in the car.” He said and Connor dutifully followed his order.

He felt like he was five again and he had just broken one of his mother’s vases (which was a regular occurrence) and now he was going to get his punishment. He deserved to be punished. When Mia had needed him most where was he? Playing video games in his parents house.

“Where are you taking him?”

“To the hospital, I’ll keep you updated on Mia’s status I promise, but we have to go.” John said opening the passenger door for Connor to step in. Sylvia’s “Drive safely!” was muffled by the slamming of the car door. John climbed into the drivers seat, “Put your seat-belt on. We’re going to make it to Oakland in the next fucking hour or my name isn't John Price.” John peeled off down the road to the freeway.

Connor watched the estates pass in blurs past the window. What if something happened? What if he lost Mia? What was the last thing he’d said to her? They’d argued about Eric and he had walked out. That’s what he did best: run away.

“Man am I glad I’m not you right now.” John said shaking his head slightly.

“What do you know?” Connor said. Anything to escape the mental lashings he was giving himself.

“I’d say everything just by looking at you.” John said, “You left Mia and something happened, some irrevocable damage. I guess you could say I was you about ten years ago.”

Oh… Connor had forgotten. John was the one who had technically trusted Mia in the care of her drug addict mother. He had lived with that and tried starting over with Mia in American Canyon. But, “How could you live with yourself?”

“I had to, Mia needed me to get over it and be the dad I could be then.” John said, “It wasn't easy, but we got through it and I think Mia considers me an OK dad over all.” John shrugged, “In the end that mattered more, what she thought of me then and what she thinks of me now.”

“I’m not like you though.” Connor said, “I don’t have a virtuous bone in my body. That’s why I left, Mia deserved a family with someone more like Eric.”

“Who called you?”

“Eric, but”-

Eric called you himself?” John sounded surprised.

“Who called you?”

“Beatrice,” He laughed, “I remember when Mia and Beatrice had to practically break down his door to help him. The kid was practically on his death bed with influenza, and he called you?”

Connor hadn't thought about it that way. He was too caught up in his personal self loathing, “It doesn't mean anything.”

“I think it means a lot.” John said, “It means one thing for sure, you guys are growing up.”

They fell silent again. Connor hated the silence but he accepted it over talking more with John. In the silence memories came unbidden. Memories of Mia’s smile, her laugh, her tears some caused by him others not. Why was he such a horrible human being?

“Mia is OK.” Connor hardly recognized his own voice from how hoarse it was, “She has to be.” So I can show her the man I can truly be…

"Here, here," John said. He was going a cool eighty miles an hour. It was the middle of the night so the traffic was light enough for him continue his speed. Other cars were going even faster, "You're wrong about one thing though."

"What's that?"

"You deserve a family as much as Eric if not even more." John said. Connor felt a pain his chest. Connor coughed and turned away and hoped the pressure would go away, "Why else would Mia love you? Sometimes this stuff doesn't look how everyone wants it to. It just is what it is."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey Readers,

Might have miscalculated due dates and such but it does make it more dramatic to make it Christmas eve.

WADR,
Connie Taylor