Don't Forget

“Ada boy.”

“The baby is out of surgery,” Doctor McCarthy reported, “It’s a baby girl. She’s in the infant ICU. Which one of you is the father?” Such a simple question.

All eyes went to Eric and Connor. Connor's eyes got wide. Why didn't Wonder-Boy speak up? This was his job, to save the day!

“We’re not sure.” Beatrice finally spoke up for the both of them.

“We could get the results of a paternity test within a couple of days.”

“No” Connor and Eric said in unison. Connor clenched his jaw shut directly afterwards.You haven’t earned any part in this. Mia’s words echoed through his head. What right did he have to comment?

“Mia doesn't want a paternity test.” Eric finished for the both of them.

“OK,” Dr. McCarthy wasn't sure about their answer, “I can give you some time to discuss it, but I need to know. Our infant patients tend to do better when they have a parent by their side. When you’re ready just page me at the desk.” With that the she left to do her other rounds.

“What the actual fuck was that?” Connor said to Eric, “You choose now of all times to be a dick about this? Don’t you fucking dare speak for him!” Connor pointed at Beatrice stopping her, “What do you have to say for yourself?”

“What if Mia doesn't make it but the infant does?” Eric said, “It means in one fell swoop I traded Mia’s life for it’s…”

“That’s the stupidest shit I've ever heard!” Connor shouted.

“What if the baby dies and Mia lives through all this?” Eric continued in his low voice as if Connor hadn't even spoken. He was staring at the double doors of the waiting room, “It’ll be my fault she lost the only thing I could have given her to make her happy. How could I face Mia after that?”

“It’s not all about fucking you!” Connor shouted, “That baby needs someone!”

“What about you?” Eric asked finally looking to Connor.

“What about me?”

“Why can’t you just say you’re the father and go to be with the baby?”

“Because I’m fucking toxic that’s why!” Connor’s voice cracked. Connor looked around and realised they were all staring at him. They were the only one’s in the waiting room, but it still felt like his privacy was being invaded. Connor ran his hand over his face trying to regain some semblance of composure, “You’re Wonder-Boy you’re supposed to fucking step-up.”

“I've been your Wonder-Boy for long enough.” Eric said taking a seat, “It’s your fucking turn.”

“John are you hearing this nonsense?” Connor begged.

“He’s only asking you to wear the cape for a little bit.” John said.

“I can’t,” Connor said through gritted teeth. He took a seat next to Eric and put his head in his hands, “This is so fucked-up. I didn't even want the little monster. It was all Mia.”It’s mine! You can go fuck yourself! “It’s Mia’s baby. Mia should be the one in the ICU. The baby needs Mia.” Connor groaned, “This is all wrong. It wasn't supposed to be like this.”

“But it is like this,” Beatrice said carefully removing Connor's hands so he would meet her eyes. Her eyes were already brimming with tears, “You said yourself, the baby needs somebody. Eric has tapped out and Mia”-Beatrice’s voice broke and she rubbed her eyes to get rid of the tears, “The baby needs somebody, and, Connor, that somebody is you.”

“Fucking Christ!” Connor said leaning back in his seat. He looked over Beatrice’s shoulder into John’s eyes. I had to, Mia needed me… Connor closed his eyes, “How hard could it be?” He said.

“Ada boy.” John smiled before leaving the room to page Dr. McCarthy.