Don't Forget

“She’s safe.”

“Thanks for that I’ve never seen her leave that fast.” Connor said. He pulled out his cell phone and dialed the number he had for Eric.

“Who are you calling? I already told you”- Connor held up his hand and Messiah stopped talking.

“Hello?” The voice was uncertain.

“Sorry to interrupt your vacation but I’m standing here staring at Messiah.”

“What? She’s in New York?” Eric sounded a bit frantic. Messiah could hear his shrill and rolled her eyes again plopping on the couch.

“She’s safe.” Connor said before Eric could spiral on him, “She’s in my apartment. Do you want me to send her home?”

“No there’s no one home it’s the only way she’d be able to do something like this.”

“You left her alone.”

“She’s thirteen Connor.”

Thirteen years...It’s been thirteen years…

“Connor?” a voice said in the background.

“Messiah hunted him down.” Eric said most likely to Mia.

“Let me talk to him.”

“I don’t want to talk to her Eric.” Connor said quickly, “I called you for a reason. Should I send her to you in Mexico?”

“I don’t have my passport with me so you can’t.” Messiah said.

“Could she just stay with you? We’ll only be out here a few more days and then we’ll be back then you can just put her on a plane home.” Eric said.

“I’m not leaving.” Messiah said loudly, “You owe me!” She said to Connor.

“Ok Eric call me when you’re back stateside.”

“Alright bye.”

Connor hung up, “Messiah…” It was weird to say her name after all this time. Talk to her like a real functioning being who could respond, “You can’t stay here.”

“Why not?” Messiah said.

“Well for one it’s too much of a bachelor’s pad. There’s no room for you.”

“Then we can move.”

“That’s the problem right there.” Connor said, “There is no we.”

“Oh?” Messiah’s eyebrow perked, “What about our deal?”

“I made a deal with a sick infant not a petulant teenager therefore the point is moot.”

“I thought you left because of Mom,” Messiah said her voice was lower, “Not because of me…”

“I never wanted you in the first place.” Connor said.

He had to say something to make her hate him to make her leave and stop reminding him of his painful past. Her response wasn’t what he expected; she smiled.

“No you didn’t want me.” Messiah said, “Mom wanted me and you delivered. You could have walked out when they said they needed someone in the ICU what did you do instead? You stepped up, you are my dad. Weather you’d like to admit it or not.”

Connor scratched the back of his head. “I don’t want a kid.” He said, “I never wanted a kid.”

“Lucky you, you get an instant teen.” Messiah said posing with her hands under her chin to smile. “You won’t even hear from me unless you want to. I have to stay here a couple of days anyway. Use that time to decide, and even after you decide it doesn’t have to be a permanent decision. You can always just ship me back to Mom and Eric in California.”

“You’re a sly one aren’t you…” Connor said.

Messiah smiled, “I get it from my Daddy.”