‹ Prequel: Soaring in the End

The Vampires of Today

I

The boat roughly scraped across the shore, and with my mother's help, I wobbled onto land looking around, getting a grip of where I now was. The shore was covered with small rocks that got stuck in between my toes, and the air smelled less fresh here, but I was overwhelmed with many unfamiliar scents.

"My sweet Eleanor, we have finally arrived in our new home," My mother announced to me, taking me by the hand, and guiding me off the rugged shore. At the top, there was a lanky figure waiting for us, and as the figure stepped closer, red eyes shimmered at us... another vampire!

"I'm so glad you finally made it."

The creatures hand warmly greeted us, and reached out to stroke my mothers cheek, holding the hand to her face, my mother replied, "It has been many years Lord Jesper."

After their brief embrace, the vampire named Jesper turned his Attention to me.

"This must be Eleanor," Jesper added, reaching out to me, I hissed and hid behind my mother, who Shook her head, softly scolded me, before returning her attention to Jesper.

"I'm truly sorry about that. She has only lived around me her entire life, another need of your help, my lord," She then bowed down.

"You don't ever have to bow down to me Marthe, I will teach the child what she needs to know along with the rest of the pact," Jesper softly replied, grabbing her shoulders and pulling her up. Jesper then pulled out carved metal, and walked over to a silver metal machine, with seats inside for us to sit in and with a smile he added, "Shall we go?"

I felt fear growing inside me, just what did Jesper want to do to us in that thing? I tugged on my mother's cloak and shook my head at her. She pulled me close to her side.

"Eleanor, I'm not use to this myself, but I promise you it's safe."

My mother sat in the back of the machine, turning her head towards me and smiling, patting the seat for me to sit down next to her. I stared for a few long moments, unsure of what to do, I still feared the machine but I climbed into it, only because my mother would be there with me, and took her hand to hold for comfort.

"Time to see your new home," Jesper anounced, putting shaded lenses on to cover his eyes. Before I knew it, we began moving.