‹ Prequel: Soaring in the End

The Vampires of Today

II

I scrambled out of the machine as soon as we stopped, feeling like I was trapped in a speeding death trap, while the others calmly got out. My mother patted my head, and checked to make sure I wasn't too overwhelmed.

"We should have just traveled by foot," I began to cry.

"This is how we blend in," Jesper said harshly to me, "Bring her in when you are ready."

With that he walked up the wooden stairs and into a modern made home.

"Honey, Jesper is doing what is best for us. It is important that no human finds out what we really are," She tried to explain brushing back my hair and wiping away my bloody tears.

"I don't understand mother... what is that suppose to mean?"

"It means that we have to do what humans do, If they ever find out what we truly are, we will be killed."

I still didn't fully understand what my mother was trying to explain, I don't want to hide who I truly am, but I nodded my head in agreement anyway, causing my mother to smile at me. She always looked so beautiful when she smiled, we both walked up the same wooden stairs that Jesper did, and walked into the home.

"Welcome Madam," Several voices greeted.

I looked around to see that I was with a bunch of vampires, all of them beautiful in appearance.

"Thank you for having us," My mother thanked the group.

"Madam Marthe, it is our pleasure to have you here. I missed you so much," A young blonde said stepping forward and taking my mothers hands

"Annabel, you look lovely as ever," my mother replied squeezing Annabel's hands.

"This must be your daughter Eleanor. Ohh, she looks so much like you Madam," Annabel's big eyes were staring down at me, "She has your lovely dark hair color and curls."

Without thinking, I reached out and touched the fellow vampires face.

"You are...the same as me." I spoke softly, "Vampire..."

Giggling, Annabel opened her mouth and showed me her fangs, the white fangs looked perfect and I reached out to touch them somehow hypnotized by them.

"ELEANOR!" My mother smacked my hand away, "I'm so sorry Annabel, she hasn't been around any other person but me her whole life."

"I don't mind at all," Annabel smiled, "It's rather cute, you both must be thirsty though."

"There are matters to discuss before our guests get to a meal," Jesper's voice broke through the room, and everyone turned to him, and bowed, I followed the rest of the group.

"Marthe, Eleanor, let's have a chat upstairs," Jesper escorted my mother and I to the stairs.