‹ Prequel: Soaring in the End

The Vampires of Today

IV

Before I knew it I was out of the house, relieved to feel the grass under my feet again. I brought myself to the ground, inhaling the fresh air; the house seemed to be unbearable, how did the others live like that?

"It is a lot to get use to."

I flinched as a voice approached me, turning to see that Annabel was now crouched down beside me.

"How did you kno-"

"Eleanor, it is more then obvious that you have lived like a caveman your entire life," Her slender hands gently rubbed the center of my back, "I can also read your thoughts!"

She began to giggle as I was trying to wrap my mind around what a caveman was, the confusion quickly turned into thoughts about the previous conversation with my mother and Jesper. What a horrible creature to have fathered me, I was beginning to want to return back to where my mother and I came from, and never have to finish this experience. Annabel's giggling came to a stop.

"My father isn't a bad man," She whispered.

"Jesper is your father?" I replied with wide eyes as she nodded in response.

"Yes, also the father of my older sister, Ida. So you see, you gained two sisters."

She smiled and embraced me. My body shaking during the process.

"Don't you know when to control yourself?" A gravelly voice broke out.

Annabel broke away, and I sighed in relief, as she glared at the girl who confronted her. A pure spitting image of Jesper, only female, her thick dark hair laid neatly on her shoulders. Red eyes beamed at the two of us and I felt the same fear looking at her as I did Jesper.

"Ida, do you always have to be such a grouch?" Annabel pouted rising to her feet as I remained where I was.

"I guess that term applies when you are saying such lies about father," she grimly replied as she took a few steps away from the house.

"You and father have your differences, because you broke the whole code with that human."

I looked back and forth between the girls and saw the intense anger between them, but as soon as Annabel mentioned a code and a human I grew even more confused. All I have been since I arrived here was confused.

"What are you talking about?" I interrupted the argument.

"Eleanor, there is a code between humans and us that we must never cross, But Ida-" Annabel began to explain as they both looked at me.

"Shut up," Ida hissed, "You listen to me Eleanor, yy father wants nothing more then another vampire to control just like he does to my sister."

"LIAR," Annabel snarled, "I love father."

"You are nothing more than a fool," Ida shot back leaping in front of Annabel and slapping her.

Anger rushed through my veins as I rushed up and knocked Ida to the ground, copying her actions and slapping her across the face. Ida held the side of her cheek, and looked up at me with anger, yet shock.

"Don't you ever hit your sister... respect your family."

"You're both fools," Ida whispered and within moments she was gone.

I didn't even see her leave, she left with such speed.