‹ Prequel: Soaring in the End

The Vampires of Today

V

Annabel stood paralyzed, as I looked up at the sky, which had began to grow a pale blue as dawn approached. I panicked and rushed to the house for shelter, but Annabel grabbed my wrist to stop me.

"You...you hit her..."

"Annabel, family is never to treat one another like that... remember that,"

I pulled away from her grasp, fleeing into the house, which was dark and stuffy inside. The man made floors beneath me made my feet itch; as I took a few steps forward my mother came into the room, taking my hands.

"I was worried when I saw it was dawn," she said pulling me closer to her, "Come, let's go get some rest."

I followed her again up the stairs and into a different room, this one was splashed with pale colors, with a big rectangular shaped object in the center. I investigated it to find it was firm, and was easily able to be pushed down.

"It's a bed," My mother explained, "This is the mattress, and these are blankets."

She pushed where I was pushing on, then she pulled the cloth up to show me what she was talking about. I lied down on it, and found that it felt unconformable for the first few moments as my mother snuggled up beside me, gently putting the blanket on top of us. I anxiously stirred around, but my mother seemed fairly comfortable with the whole situation.

"I haven't slept in a bed in many years," She said to herself.

I stopped to wonder what kind of life my mother had before I came along, did she live in a house before I was born? Did she like it? As all these questions swarmed around my mind, I managed to get one out.

"Mother, why are humans so bad?"

My mother wrapped her arms around me, pulling me in tight to her and held me for a minute before answering.

"We are better than humans. We are better fit to live in this world compared to them."

"How come?"

"They are so fragile... yet, they destroy everything. Don't ever trust one... I don't ever want to lose you," Mother whispered with a sigh.

I held onto my mother tightly, before whispering back.

"I never want to lose you either, mother."