Seventy Times Seven

Chapter 3

I climbed out of the car and wandered up to the doors where Jack was waiting, and he smiled sheepishly as he opened the door for me. I stood glaring at him for a while, and he looked from me, to the door, and back to me again. I sighed, and as I walked by, I slapped his chest with the back of my hand. He grunted and followed me inside.

"Where to, cap'n?" I asked.

"Uhhmm... food court!" He squealed, making a middle-aged couple look over at us.

I flushed bright red and looked down at my feet so my hair hid my face. Jack just strode along like nothing happened. I don't understand how he can't be embarrassed at half the things he does. You'd think a 17 year old acting like a toddler would be embarrassing for them, but no, it's embarrassing for me, like I'm the mother of that spastic toddler.

We got to the food court and took a seat at a big table in the middle of the rest. Eventually, people saw Jack and started migrating to us.

"D'you want anything Char?" Jack asked after greeting a group of rowdy boys I recognized from school as the stars of the football team.

"Nah... I'm fine." I replied, looking over at the frantic worker at Taco Bell trying to fulfill large the orders of the football players.

Jack shrugged and strode over to Cinnabun. I rolled my eyes. The last thing that kid needs is more sugar. Looking around the food court, I recognized most of the teenagers from school. Most girls with numerous shopping bags, the boys eating piggishly at their over-crowded tables, afraid to lose a member of their pack. I suppose you can say I'm not a big fan of my peers... You're right.

It didn't start that way, not at all. I used to want to be a brainless follower. I was shunned, and avoided at all costs. So, I avoided them back. I blame them for my fear of human contact. I blame them for my lack of self-esteem. I blame them for a lot of things, honestly, but I can't help but laugh when my name is called over the intercom and the girl beside me says, "Who's Charlotte Bond?".

"Excuse me?" I felt a hand lightly tap my shoulder snapping me out of my stupor.

I turned quickly and looked up at who had actually made contact with me. It was a boy... Not as tall as Jack, but not short either. Blond hair gelled and spiked, and piercing green eyes. I just stared at him.

"Uhm... yes?" I finally retorted.

"May I sit here?" he asked, gesturing to the seat beside me.

I nodded. There was something about him that was different... . I figured there's no way he could be from here because he spoke to me, and he was an extremely attractive person... Extremely.

"My name is Austin." He said, smiling a brilliant smile, extending his hand.

"Charlotte. I'm Charlotte." I put my hand in his and he shook it lightly.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so so so sorry it's taking forever for me to update all of my stories. I'm really busy with a lot of things... Please hang in there, and thank you for reading. I love you. <3