Psychotic craze

New country.

I stretched my arms and wiggled my legs about - you know what they say about getting blood clots on long plane journeys; it can be fatal. I looked around rubbing my eyes as the extremely large woman next to me budged towards her right to engage in a deeper conversation with someone. Thankful to get half of my seat back, I slumped further back attempting to get comfortable for the first time in 11 hours and 48 minutes when a high pitched voice rang out through a speaker phone.

"Ladies and Gentlemen please fasten your seatbelts, the plane will arrive at Denver international airport in approximately 7 minutes, the exit is situated to the left - we hope you enjoyed flying with Fly Denver today."

I closed my eyes, great! Taking off and landing were always the worst parts of an airplane journey, as I felt the airplane rock slightly; I gripped the sides tightly and closed my eyes trying to relax.

It'll be over in 7 minutes Alison. Calm down. I kept telling myself nervously.

The plane rumbled a little and I felt my stomach bounce, I sat rigid trying to block out the baby who was screaming and crying behind me and try not to get any feeling of going down in me - cause then the sickness would start. The fact that I had watched final destination a few hours ago was making me feel incredibly angry at my film choice and increasingly nervous, which didn't help.

"Hey, first time riding a plane eh?" Came a deep voice from my left.

I allowed one of my eyes to snap open and I didn't care if I looked silly right now! I glanced at the boy with bright red hair and brown eyes; funny that, he had been sitting to my left the whole time and it was only just that I had noticed him he smirked at me acknowledging him and leaned forwards.

"See my friend over there, he's been watching you the whole journey - he thinks you're cute." He pointed behind him with his thumb, I didn't even glance at who was behind him, but instead I shrugged.

"I don't care." I let out a small grunt turning away, how could someone sitting on the row behind me call me cute without having seen me properly?

I know slightly mean? But I wasn't in the mood for anything right now, I was jetlagged, hungry, tired and extremely warm, my hair was all over the place and I was scared to feel or be sick in the last 5 minutes of my journey!

"Dude she's English, that's crazy ho-" I heard the same guy whisper but I blocked his voice out trying to concentrate on not being sick.

Boy oh boy, these last 7 minutes seemed like 7 hours.

____________________________________________________________

I hurried out, feeling the fresh air hit me instantly I grinned, finally fresh air and open space, on top of that a sweltering sun hit me too and I groaned, I was already feeling really warm. I reeled my case out through the busy mass of bodies moving to the right and left and forwards and backwards all around of me. I groaned again straining my neck and trying to find my mom through the hundreds of people. The realisation hit me hard when I heard everyone speaking around me and instantaneously I missed England - I missed my father.

"Alison darling!" I heard a giggle from my right, I stopped and turned to be enveloped by a big hug, I inhaled her sensational scent and recognised her as my mother.

We pulled apart and I noticed the sweeping up and down look she gave me before dragging me by the arm to the car park, or as I heard others around me say parking lot. I ignored her look and knew what she was thinking, she was a high fashion designer and always managed to look well-groomed and I was dressed in some 3 quarter jeans and a plain red strap top, my long dark hair was compiled on my head in a cluttered pony tail and I was sure my appearance looked messy and weary. I didn't care though, hey give me a break my father just died and I had to spend a 12 hour long plane journey from Heathrow; England to Denver; Colorado sitting with a large sweaty woman who decided that half of my seat was hers too.

She led me to her amazing car where I stood back in hesitation trying to predict how my new lifestyle would be and how easy I'd find it to adapt. She pulled my case and bag into the boot or as I would now have to call it the trunk and motioned me into the passenger seat. I gladly sat in and slouched back, I was exhausted but I couldn't peel my eyes away from everything around me.

The sky was brightly lit in a light shade of blue as the blistering sun beat down on everything; occasionally a subtle breeze cast its way through the open windows, causing me to smile in delight. I continued with my gaze glued to the window like I had the whole journey, trying to take in everything about this new country. As we rolled into unknown territory, my eyes darted about almost in excitement trying to take in the strange new town. Trees and fine houses zoomed past us in blurs and I felt the breeze hit me again, I glanced towards my mum and she caught my eyes and smiled at me through her large sun glasses.

"I promise, you'll love it here." She breathed taking a right turn down a bright street with big houses standing adjacent to each other with their freshly cut perfect lawns. I replied with a smile, I was happy to move to a different country, it was time to move on and there was too much that had happened back at home - too much baggage that I wanted to let lose. But then again England was the one thing connecting me to my father, now if I wanted to visit his grave I'd have to catch a 12 hour plane back and I did not enjoy the idea of planes!

A long silence filled the time and settled but it wasn't awkward because my mom was concentrating on driving and I was trying to tear my eyes away from the new country. Soon I felt a hand touch my knee and rub it gently; I averted my eyes to my mother who had made the sudden contact.

"This must be very hard for you but Alls don't worry - we'll make it as comfortable and as normal as possible for you." She stressed the words.

I froze, I did not want to talk about that, to talk about it was to revive it again and I was already trying to escape it in my dreams, but it was something else that got me.

Alls - only my dad ever called me that, no one else did so why was she using it now?

I shrugged, "You said we'll, don't make Daniel put in effort to make me feel comfortable when he clearly doesn't care." I deadpanned.

Daniel otherwise known as Danny or Dan was my twin brother and we hadn't really spent any time together since our parents split up when we were young, my mother took Daniel and moved to America, whereas I was left behind with my dad. It seems pitiful thinking of it that way, it's not a case that my mother didn't want me; it was just that I was more attached to my father and he the same. When Daniel and I were both 7, my parents had been disagreeing a lot and finally came to the decision that they didn't belong together. My mom was the one who wanted bigger and better then England as a woman with ambition and ideas and my dad was set against moving. They finally grew apart and I've been told many times how the decision was reached with respect and maturity, just because they weren't married doesn't mean they weren't still friends.

So in the end my mother couldn't split me from my father, we had a special kind of bond, and it only seemed fair that Daniel should go with my mother. As I grew up I asked about my mom and she would phone occasionally and visit a lot, she would send me gifts on my birthday and on Christmas and was generally on the other line instantly if I needed a mother to talk to. Daniel on the other hand wasn't greatly interested, he wasn't into all that family stuff and preferred it to be swept under the carpet, so when our father died, he reluctantly flew in from Colorado and just stood expressionless at the funeral. He complained how England's weather was putting him down and left for Denver the next day. We once used to talk a lot over the phone but that soon stopped a few months later. I guess we were too different as brother and sister but this was the first time in 10 years that we'd be living under the same roof and I was interested to see how it would go.

"He does care Ally." She turned into another long street.

So now she was back to using Ally? I wished she would just make her mind up and stick with one name. I pulled the clips and ribbon out of my hair so I could let it flow with the wind; I ran my fingers through it and shook my head a bit.

"Maybe." I answered tying my hair up again.

"You know I attempted to fix your room up for you, just to save you the trouble." She began.

"But if I don't like it, I'll have to redo it all anyway." I replied quickly.

"Daniel helped." She replied just as quickly but quieter, like Daniel helping was going to make me think this room was going to be implausible.

She swerved quickly and I grabbed the side to stop myself falling.

"Almost missed the turning!" She hissed before speeding down a street.

Soon I noticed the car slowly come to a halt as she pulled into a driveway, as soon as the engine cut I leapt out and hovered outside. My eyes narrowed at the street and I then turned to take a sweeping glance at my new home, my head slowly crept upwards as I took the size and towering of the house in. The heat hit me at full force and I felt my cheeks grow hotter in the sun, the neighbourhood looked pretty friendly, a few people walking down the street turned to examine the newcomer and waved at me with warm smiles.

Lugging my case and bag out of the boot, I set them down and turned to see my mom being approached by a woman and a boy, he had his hands deep in his pockets and he was really tall. He caught my gaze and I realised I might have been staring, before I could avert my eyes to make something plain look really interesting all of a sudden, he grinned deeply and shook the blonde hair out of his eyes.

"Karen Palmer you stranger!" The woman shrieked throwing her arms around my mom quickly her thick American accent proving strong.

"Jen!" My mother laughed as they broke apart, I let my case rest against the wall as I watched from behind.

"I thought you weren't coming back here you've been away for so long!" Jen squealed.

"I haven't been gone too long, there were a lot of things I had to do, there was some work left in California and then a lot of things to sort out like the flying to England, the funeral, the paperwork, the arrangements." My mother waved her hand about towards me and I almost felt guilty.

The woman's eyes flicked to my face and her smile deepened, my mom ushered me forwards and I reluctantly took a few steps.

"This is my daughter Alison." My mother finished bringing me to stand in front of her and putting her arms around my shoulder she smiled.

I raised my eyebrows and tried to be polite by smiling a little. "How do you do?" I asked holding out my hand. As soon as I did this, I regretted it, I vaguely saw another huge grin stretch on the boys face and the woman; Jen suppressed a laugh. God, why was I so stupid?

Before I could clumsily remove my hand, she took it and shook it, I regretted it even more once her sweaty palm made contact with my perfectly dry palm which now had this woman's sweat wiped on it.

"This is Jen, she's my partner, and that's her son Alec." My mom pointed out, I smiled respectfully, catching his little grin I then trudged back towards my suitcase, and I had a lot of unpacking to do.

"Hey Jen, why don't you come in for a drink, I have a lot to tell you." I heard my mother say.

"Sure." I heard Jen laugh as I stepped through the door; I heard the boot of the car being slammed down.

"Just go on up hunny, Daniel will show you your room and you can freshen up and get settled!" My mother whispered before following Jen into what looked like the kitchen.

I pulled my case along and glanced up at the high ceiling above me in awe, the rooms were painted in the same pale cream colour, and the stair's were lined in a fine and smooth Mahogany texture. I let my eyes wander and dart around my new home before I came to a stop before the stairs, looking up I groaned - I had to pull this case up a million stairs!

"Here, let me." I heard a whisper from behind me, I spun around quickly to see Alec grasping the handle of my case and lifting it with ease, and he shot me a fantastic smile before climbing the stairs with complete simplicity. I followed in suit obviously impressed, his blonde hair was messy and lay flat against his head in sweat - it really was hot outside.

Once we had reached flat surface once more, I looked over to see another flight of stairs but they were smaller, I recognized those steps led to my mom's room and her study as she had previously informed me and I looked around the landing to see 4 doors.

"Guess which one's yours." He laughed with his emerald green eyes twinkling, slouching his hands into his pockets as he looked around in slight awe as well.

The first door was painted a light brown colour, as soon as my eyes moved towards it, I saw the golden handle turn and out walk Danny looking bored. His blue eyes narrowed at me and then at the boy standing before him and he shrugged his dark hair out of his eyes before he made a move for the cream door next to him. I peered inside it after him and realised it to be a bathroom, so now there were only two doors left!

"Oh hey Danny, I'm fine thanks, yes the plane journey was great! I'm glad you asked." I muttered sarcastically before moving towards the other light brown door, Alec followed chuckling quietly and dragging my case. I opened the door and gawked as I took in the room before me.

The walls were painted a pale lilac colour and the bed was huge, it stood in the middle with a fitted in wardrobe to the side, a large shelf filled with incredible books that I had read and books that I was going to read stood above my head as I peered up at it with delight.

My mom, she was behind this, she was doing everything to make me feel back at home and comfortable and I was grateful for all her gestures. I heard Alec chuckle from behind me and I jumped realising I had forgotten his presence.

"So you like to read?" He asked wandering over to me, I felt extremely tiny compared to his tall form as he peered down at the books, and he pointed a finger at one and tapped it lightly.

"Definitely worth reading first." He grinned showing me his perfect teeth.

I grinned back goofily and moved to look out of the window, I glanced down in admiration as I took in the view from below me - it was beautiful.

"You really don't talk much do you? I've been dying to hear that accent since Danny boy told me his kid sister was coming to town!" He rubbed the side of his neck sheepishly.

I turned around and felt my cheeks instantly blush a red colour as his gaze fixed on mine.

"I do talk - I mean I can talk and I'm the same age as Dan - I'm not a kid." I mumbled stupidly.

"Say something else." His green eyes shined brightly as he moved forwards making me blush a little more, I felt like a puppet in a foreign country. But it wasn't exactly a foreign country, they still spoke English, it was just the strange fascination with my accent which threw me.

"How about get out of my sister's room?" Came a voice from behind Alex, my heart thudded violently as my eyes flicked to Danny, who stood there just as tall as Alec, but with an intimidating glare on his face.

Go on, kill each other, do what ever you want, just let me go to sleep please. I thought.

"You know you two could pass off as twins!" Alec pointed his finger between Daniel and me back and forth his grin spreading across his lips. Well wasn't that observant of Alec.

"We look nothing alike." Daniel retorted folding his arms and fixing his stare to the corner.

I suppressed a snort, seemed like the pole up Daniel's backside was still there and was he completely oblivious to the fact we were twins?

"Dude look, you both have blue eyes and dark brown hair, I'm telling you -" I heard Alec start but Daniel yanked him out of my room, laughter replaced the sound of their footsteps and the door of his room shut with a thud.

Well that was great, my brother seemed to want nothing to do with me and yet I had no idea where this tension and friction between us had come from. Maybe it was the fact that we had grown up in different countries and never really had that brother and sister bond. You know that kind where the brother annoys his sister, or the kind where he's overly protective of his sister, or the kind where they just annoy the hell out of each other and play pranks. Or maybe the one where they didn't communicate much but when they did they had civil conversations. Anything would be better than nothing, it was like he was ashamed of me or something and part of me was thinking he was angry at me for something. Whatever it was I wish he'd come out and confront me rather than reflect bitterness towards me.

Without changing my clothes, I collapsed on my bed feeling extremely tired, my eyes closed at once and the fatigue caught up with me instantly.

Glad to finally get some rest, I rolled over - the nightmare suddenly took over.
♠ ♠ ♠
:) I've had this story on my computer fae about 3 months now!
So I decided to post the first few chapters!
But don't worry I'm still working ons wapped and such :)
Tell me what you think btw.
x