Psychotic craze

School

Monday had finally rolled around meaning my first day of school was staring me right in the face; I sat on the couch with my school bag propped next to my leg waiting. Yesterday had been so annoying for me; mom had forced me to rest all day and had told me to only get out of bed if I needed the bathroom. According to her I needed all that rest and she was super worried for my health after that minor cut on my head but she was obviously oblivious to the fact the I was going to die of boredom. She had overreacted beyond her normal stage of over-reacting yesterday, I had been confined to one room and I was not impressed. Only this morning I had to practically beg her to allow me to go to school, I figured first days could go really well or really bad and it was now or never that I needed to experience it.

She had given m a new mobile phone as well claiming to have put in emergency and important numbers in there and had specifically told me to call her if I started feeling, sick, dizzy, and faint or anything else that could affect my health. Mothers. I heard her clear her throat from behind me and I looked to see her standing there, her hair placed perfectly and neatly in curls, she was wearing a high waist skirt with a silky blouse and enormous shiny heels. She definitely looked too good to be just going into work today.

"I'm seeing a very important client today." She squeaked grabbing her car keys.

"Oh right, well you look great." I replied noticing the shine in her eyes and then I thought what do I actually know about her love life? Was she seeing someone?

"And you look fabulous! I'll be home by 6, so you can tell me all about your first day, bye!" She kissed my cheek no doubt leaving some shiny gloss on it and departing. I sighed, there had to be someone in her life, she looked so good for her age - was there someone she hadn't told me about?

"Mom said I have to drive you." I heard Daniel's voice bring me out of my thoughts.

"Oh right." I replied getting up, he coolly swung his bag over his head and grabbed his car keys off the side. I watched as he dug his hands into the jean pockets and lead the way outside, as I got into the car I made a mental note to study and try to remember my surroundings because something told me Daniel wouldn't always wait for me after school.

"Is it far?" I asked breaking the silence once he had gotten in.

"5 minutes by car or 15 minutes by foot." He replied not looking at me, oh so it wasn't that far then. The engine roared before he took off and I kept my eyes looking for street name and areas but I could see Daniel shooting me little glances every now and then. Once we reached the school my jaw dropped slightly - this was certainly not like my old school, probably 10 times bigger. He parked in a space and cut the engine which created silence between us. I watched the other kids laugh and joke, throwing footballs, touching fists, talk about their summer whilst walking in to the hallways but still we sat in silence. He finally shifted to look at me and spoke,

"Just meet me here after school." He said before getting out and I did too.

"Right." I replied but he had already taken off into the crowd. I looked up at the towering building and sighed - well here goes nothing.

Mom had told me that sine I had arrived in America the day after the new student enrolment and tour - I would have to do it today and hope someone would show me where everything was. I walked towards the big doors everyone was heading for and ignored the looks, points, stares and whispers around me. Walking into the hallway my eyes were met by a cream paint covering the walls, grey lockers lining the walls and gold and red posters and flags everywhere else. A series of posters talking about school spirit and sports teams were scattered on the wall and there weren't many signs so I had no idea where I was going.

"Hey." I heard a familiar voice and small tap on my shoulder; I breathed a sigh of relief and looked around to see Alec.

"Hey."

"What do you think?" He laughed looking around.

"It's bloody huge." I replied and he chuckled.

"It's bloody huge." He mocked my accent afterwards; we both laughed for a second before a group of girls stopped and gave me the look up and down before smiling at Alec.

Alec shook his head absentmindedly and threw his arm around my shoulder leading me up some stairs,

"You'll get used to that." He chuckled.

Once we reached the reception he sighed melodramatically.

"Good luck and if you have any you'll be in one or more of my classes." He folded his arms.

"And if I do have any luck then I won't." I grinned.

"See you at lunch." He winked before walking off.

"Thanks by the way!" I called after him before entering a small room at the side to see the principle and another girl sitting down. She had dull grey eyes with black and blonde hair, a small stud shone from her nose and she tapped her foot impatiently. Just as I walked through another woman walked through and glared down at the other girl.

"Hazel, now you listen to me, this is your last chance." She hissed angrily pointing her finger down at the girl who was called Hazel.

"You've been from school to school and if you don't make this work then it'll be to your father next and you know you don't want that." She continued.

"Whatever mother." Hazel shot back rolling her eyes.

"I mean it Hazel!" Her mom exited the room shaking her head.

"Ah and you must be Miss Dawson?" The principle looked at me and I nodded, he was a tall man with a bald head and glasses and looked overall friendly.

"Yes." I replied sitting down trying to avoid Hazel's peculiar stare.

"Hazel this is Alison, Alison this is Hazel, I trust you two will be nice to each other since you are in the same boat, two new students." He nodded.

I glanced at Hazel and she sent me a quick eyebrow raise and a cheeky grin - I could tell she was trouble.

* * *

We had both received our locker and combinations, class schedules or as I called it back in England; timetable and a tour which wasn't successful because I couldn't remember everything.

"So what's your first class sugar?" Hazel smirked as we walked down the empty hallway towards our locker which we had to share; mine was on the top since I was taller.

"Calculus." I frowned.

"For 2 hours." I added.

"Ouch but your going to have it one day or the other, best to get it over and done with now." She nodded.

"I suppose." I said putting my books into the locker and getting my maths stuff out, Hazel emptied everything out grinned.

"Don't you have -" I began.

"I don't feel like going to this class today, see you at lunch maybe." She shot me that devilish look before wandering down the hallway and around the corner, talk about being a rebel.

I clutched my pass tightly as I scanned the doors looking for room 6C once I reached it I peered in and then walked in quietly.

"New or old, I hope you have a pass." The teacher spoke strictly, I showed him and he nodded with content.

"Everyone say hello to your new classmate Alison Dawson, moved here from England any questions?" He asked sarcastically, I examined the students; they looked bored and definitely didn't want to be there right now. I spotted Daniel sitting in the far corner his elbows outstretched on his table and his eyes drooping, next to him was a large girl who couldn't take her eyes off of him; in front of them sat Toby who was doodling.

"Yeah, who's older you or Daniel?" Some guy with red hair grinned.

"I don't see how that's relevant asshole." I heard Daniel hiss from his corner.

"Boys - enough, Alison we're starting chapter 1 today go find a spare seat." The teacher cleared his throat and turned back to the white board. As soon as he said this a couple of people shifted their bags from the seats next to them and grinned at me wildly. I turned to look at each in turn, one girl sat there tossing her bleach blonde hair over her shoulder after every 2 seconds - she would definitely try and convert me into a doll. The next girl grinned wildly showing me braces plastered in every direction over some yellow teeth; she was rocking back and forth and was giving me a menacing look - okay definitely not normal. My eyes scooted to the right of the room where a tall guy who winked at me as I looked at him then patted the chair next to him. Another guy just grinned wildly showing me his dimples and then there was Toby who just gave me thumbs up and went back to his doodling. The decision had been made and it was pretty obvious who I would choose, I took my seat next to Toby and kept my head down.

"I knew you would sit here." He whispered.

"And why is that?" I whispered back.

"Because there is a reason no one sits next to the others." He giggled.

The next two hours of maths went surprisingly good - for me at least, all the work we were doing was work that I had done back in England and passed my exam on as well but I guess things were different here. I would probably be good at maths but suck at biology. The bell went and I gathered my books quickly before a shadow loomed in front of me, Toby and I both stayed seated as the teacher approached.

"Impressive work today Alison, shame your brother doesn't reflect your skills." He smiled and then his smiled disappeared when he turned to Toby.

"Ask and you shall receive, if I see that doodle book of yours out next lesson, I shall confiscate it and scribble on every page got that Adams?" He spoke clear and strict and I could tell Toby was trying his best not to laugh.

"Senior year Toby - it's not a joke anymore and since you would rather go bald then to come back and get extra tuition off me, I suggest you ask this young lady very nicely." He drummed his finger on the table before leaving.

"Loser." Toby mumbled under his breath before striding towards the door, before he left he turned to shoot me a grin making me freeze and stare for a moment or two.

What was it about him?