Psychotic craze

Rainy tears.

The rain had stopped but the wind had picked up as it swirled my hair from side to side, lapping it around my face and then tearing it backwards again as I trudged through the muddy field. My cheeks felt sore as the air hit the skin where past tears had dried up on and then ripped the new tears out of my eyes where they would too dry up soon. I didn’t take time to admire the big field and the shiny bleachers surrounding me, this was definitely a whole lot bigger than my old school but today was not for admiration. Today was for mourning as my unconscious self had so pleasantly decided back in Psychology. It was just my luck for something like this to happen when I was unprepared and in the middle of an unknown place.

I wiped my nose with the back of my hand as I clumsily threw myself over the tiny gate, my legs shaking as more tears tumbled out of my eyes. It was then that I felt the searing pain in my heart, the emptiness growing like the black abyss I wanted to drown myself into. My teeth jittered in the cold as my vision clouded over and over again with moisture; I watched students pouring into the building for lunch in the distance and then turned. I walked around to the side of the bleachers, just wanting a secluded place to sit for a while and I then crawled underneath the metal clamps managing to wedge myself nicely in a sitting position. No one could see me here and that was what I needed.

I sniffed trying to find a way to stop myself from crying so much but it was no use.

I missed him so much.

It wasn’t fair, why did that stupid poser have to mow down my father? Why couldn’t he have just slowed down? Why did this have to happen to me?

I slammed my hands down into the mud and let out a ear piercing scream, my teeth stood gritted as I listened to the sound echo and soon grow faint. I was tired. I was tired of missing him and I was tired of feeling empty. I let out a huge sigh and allowed the final few tears to fall. I brought my hands up to wipe my face, unknowingly smudging a little bit of mud across my cheeks when I heard some scuffling. I held my breath and pushed myself backwards to prevent me being seen when someone spoke.

“I’ve been looking for you – everywhere.” Daniel stressed the word everywhere and soon enough his head popped under the bleachers and he frowned after seeing me.

“Come on then, budge up.” He ordered crawling under; he forced his body between the right stand and me and then looked me over with a thoughtful look.

I figured he must know the reason behind my tears and state and I was glad when he didn’t bug me about it, instead he gently pulled me towards him and put his arms around me. I would have felt weird if I didn’t feel awful right now.

“I knew a day like this would come, in fact I was starting to get a little worried, talk about a late reaction.” He tried to lighten the mood but closed his mouth when he heard me sniff again, another tear escaped from my eye.

“Okay, I should shut up.” He said quietly.

“I know – I know how hard this must be for you and I know my pain for the loss of our father can’t be compared to yours but it hurts me too.” He spoke softly.

“I just want you to know that even though I may not show it but I do care about you and I’m here if you need anything at all – anything.” He patted my knee. I turned without thinking and hugged him tightly taking him by surprise.

“He may be gone from reality, but he will always be in there.” He pointed to my heart and then smiled reassuringly. I didn’t know Daniel could be this understanding and comforting; we both crawled out from the little den and stood up dusting ourselves.

“You’re all muddy.” He laughed and then stopped laughing when he heard the school bell ring in the distance.

“I’ll see you in class, I need to do something.” He muttered quickly before running off, his face tensing as he waved, I began following him but slowly trying to wipe my face clean at the same time.

Once I reached the north hallway a crowd had gathered near to the cafeteria all ooh’ing and aah’ing over something, I heard some thumps and some loud shouts – no doubt a silly fight. I ignored it and continued towards my class in a hurry, once I reached the room everyone had already seated and again there was a free spot next to Toby, I sat next to him quickly and quietly. I let my hair fall over my cheeks in an effort to hide my sore eyes and stained cheeks.

“Did Daniel find you?” Toby whispered to me during the lesson when the teacher had his back turned and was scribbling away on the white board.

“Yes.” I replied quietly, a crease forming on my forehead; it must have been Toby who informed Daniel when we collided.

“Well, I can take a guess as to what was wrong; I hope you feel better soon.” He muttered soothingly rubbing my arm slightly. I just had to turn and look at him, his eyes looked caring and lodged sympathetically and he wore a small warm smile. My heart melted again.

I glanced around the classroom once more, half of the lesson had gone by and Daniel still hadn’t made an appearance, I wonder where he went and what was holding him up?

The lesson dragged on and the only form of entertainment was watching a really large student fall asleep on the front desk, the teacher kept grunting at him in annoyance but he continued to drool and snore loudly. I heard Toby chuckle lightly and then the final bell went.

I walked anxiously through the hallways trying to find a sign of where Daniel could be when I saw him sitting angrily outside the headmaster’s office – uh oh.

“I can’t drive you home, not for another hour.” He hissed under his breath, I saw another boy sitting next to him, with various bruises on his face and a cut lip. I glanced back at Daniel and my eyes trailed down to his knuckles which were sore and red.

“Daniel what –“I began but he interrupted me.

“Toby will walk you home or something. I’ll talk to you at later.” He looked away annoyed, I pursed my lips and looked back at the boy sitting next to him who was glaring at me for some reason. I noticed he was from my Psychology class and I frowned when I saw Alec coming out of the principles office looking annoyed too.

“Detention for a week and all I did was trip the stupid ass up.” He snarled at the boy who was about to stand up when the principle came out and cleared his throat.

“Daniel Dawson, in my office – now.” He yelled.

I shrugged and walked out of the school wondering how on Earth I would get home now, I looked to the end of the car park to see Toby and Hazel hugging – sure why not go home with Toby? I muttered sarcastically. I turned my back and began walking along the wet pavement; the rain started dripping again lightly.

“Great, what else could go wrong today?” I mumbled kicking through the puddles.

I was about to find out.