Psychotic craze

Bad shortcut.

I was sat in the final lesson of the day, English. My thoughts were clouded with another strange occurrence that had happened that morning. I grimaced biting the tip of my pencil in my mouth as ideas whizzed through my mind. I had received three consecutive phone calls when I had arrived at school, all of them being useless, the caller had turned their caller information off so all that came up on my screen was ”Withheld call.” What was even weirder was that once I had answered, there was complete silence, however on the last call I heard a rustling sound in the background. I sighed as the final bell went and I was free. Daniel had another detention so I would be walking home today; I knew the way so it was fine with me, it wasn’t raining for once.

“Alison, could you please help me with these books?” The teacher approached me carrying 10 books, I took them and she told me which storeroom to put them in. I walked towards it pushing open the door I hesitated as my mouth dropped in disgust. There in front of me intertwined in a deep kiss was Hazel and glued to her wasn’t Toby, it was a shorter boy. I froze as they didn’t seem to have noticed me, dropping the books quickly I bolted out and around the corner before they knew someone had walked in.

I glared at the floor as I walked to the bathroom to wash my hands, those books were dusty. I stared at my reflection in the glinting mirror; I was paler than I should be, probably because of the mental stress. I thought about what I had just seen, Hazel with another boy. I grimaced confused, I thought she liked Toby? I thought there was something going in between Toby and her, they seemed to be hitting it off pretty well.

Walking out, I saw Toby and Hazel walking, her hand slipping into his and then they stopped, I stayed behind listening in.

“But Toby, I want to see you tonight.” She pouted, closing the small distance between her and Toby. I hesitated back not wanting to run into them, it seemed like they were in a relationship now, only a couple of days had passed, it must have happened fast

“I told you, I’m busy.”

“Doing what?” She snapped.

“I need to pick Joni up and then I’m doing something else.” Toby smiled shrugging and walking away. Why didn’t he tell her that I was tutoring him today after school? I blinked today, after school, I had to get home fast!

As I hurried along the same streets, I glanced around making sure I was going the right way. I hesitated before the small wooden gate looking through the trees to see the route I had taken with Toby before. Without really thinking about it, I swung myself over remembering to land towards the right, I saw the patch of deep mud and smirked.

“That guy that lives over there usually shoots at anyone who uses this as a shortcut, but you just need to have your timing right, look for any witnesses, jump over the wooden gate and then run north for about 10 seconds until everything is clear.” Toby’s words swam in my head. I began running, my bag swinging at my side; I heard faint rustling as the wind brushed past me, my hair flying as I ran. I had been running for longer than 10 seconds but I wanted to make sure I was safe, I ran further along the path until it stopped. I halted and got my breath back.

“It’s easy, once you get to the end of the path just walk right for the next 5 minutes and you should start to see an opening and another gate, flip over that and you should come out at the south end of your street.” I remembered his words again.

As I began walking, just thinking, I noticed something was wrong. I glanced around and realised the rope was hanging again, it was newer though and below there was a small black seat rather than an old tyre. Instinctively I looked around expecting the stranger who had restored the swing to be there, but as I turned on the spot my eyes met trees and leaves. I walked slowly towards the swing admiring how stable it now looked when I heard a twig snap behind me. I whirled around my heart fluttering out of control, I was being paranoid. I turned on the spot again and carried on walking, quickly, my footsteps getting quicker as paranoia crept over me slowly. I shivered in the breeze as I heard louder rustling and then quite near me some footsteps. I braced myself my mind whirring with uncertain possibilities and then I felt a hand land on my shoulder.

I let out a pathetic scream, my voice cracking and getting choked in my throat, my eyes clouded with tears as fear rippled across my body, I gasped turning to face the newcomer. A tall, slightly old man stood there, looking down at me his eyes narrowed and he looked slightly out of breath too.

“You – run – fast.” He blurted out, withdrawing his hand. I stayed frozen looking at him with wide eyes.

“I haven’t seen you before, you’re new yes.” It was more of a statement than a question as he drew himself to full height.

“Don’t be using this as a shortcut.” His voice was gruff now.

“I – I’m sorry!” I squeaked.

“Well, did you do that?” He pointed in the direction of the new swing; I stared at him blinking with confusion and then shook my head as he approached.

“I hate rotten kids coming here.” He breathed angrily, I backed away scared.

“If the council hadn’t refused my proposal, I could own this all and then you kids wouldn’t even set foot in this place – it should be mine!” He hissed angrily. I stopped and stood my ground.

“You can’t stop people from coming here, it doesn’t belong to you” I said quickly and quietly, not wanting to aggravate him any further. He advanced his eyes looking threatening; he had a bit of a limp as he grabbed my upper arm annoyed by my comment.

“Shut up, I’ll shoot you, I will!” He brandished a long rifle and I gasped as he shook me, terror pouring out of me, I let out another small scream and he let me go instantly, looking around suspiciously as the trees began to rustle again. I took this as my chance and bolted; I bolted through the trees and heard his faint shouts in the distant. Clumsily falling over the gate, I got up again and ran down my street, not once looking back until I reached my house. Shaking all over I closed the door quickly and put my back to it, getting my breath back, it seemed that no one was in as I quivered with fear still.

I had never had an encounter like this before in England, but I had almost got mugged at the theme park and now this. I shook my head trying to calm down, I needed to relax, he was just a stupid old man, but even when I thought this my heart continued to beat furiously underneath my shirt and then it bounced as someone knocked on the door behind me. I waited silently thinking of what to do and then another rap came at the door, this time louder.

Glancing through the window, I saw Toby, my shoulder relaxed a little and I opened the door.

“Hey.” He smiled, running his hands through his hair, he then stopped and frowned.

“What’s wrong?” He asked quickly, stepping inside, he knew automatically something was wrong.

“Nothing.” I lied attempting to smile. He moved around me and sat at the table, I followed slowly sitting down.

“Okay, you’re obviously fine, shaking with fear and looking scared, but you’re fine.” He stared at me sarcastically, seeing right through me. I bit my lip anxiously and brought my head down finally cracking a little. I drew a long breath and tears swam in my eyes slowly.

“Alison.” He mumbled, moving his chair closer, his arm swung around me and he brought me in closer, I didn’t resist breathing in his scent, he smelled rather like Joop. We stayed there for a few moments, before I awkwardly pulled away slowly, my heart still thudding.

“Sorry.” I spoke quickly.

“Just tell me what happened?” He insisted sighing. I opened my mouth reluctantly and told him what had happened in the clearing, the swing and the man and how he had threatened me. He stared past me as I spoke, I didn’t know whether he was listening or not but I continued and when I finished he looked at me slowly.

“He really is a crazy – man.” He ended, not choosing to swear at this moment, he rubbed my back soothingly.

“Don’t worry about it; he’ll get what he deserves one day.” He spoke softly. I smiled reassuringly feeling better by the minute just by Toby’s presence, I watched as he slung out some books out of his back and yawned sheepishly. I switched my mind immediately to maths; I pushed the phone calls this morning, what I had seen Hazel doing and the occurrence in the clearing to the back of my mind and set to work to help Toby. I didn’t want to turn into one of those paranoid people, so I tried not to feel anxious hoping that there were no more strange events waiting around the corner for me.