Psychotic craze

Unexplained loathe.

That morning a strange type of tension had found its way into the air, I had secretly slipped the tape out of the VCR and put it back into my bag safely, I could hear my mom and Daniel talking downstairs and sometimes a low argument would break out where they were disagreeing. I had a feeling I knew what they were disagreeing about or who rather, I felt unwanted every time I was near Daniel and it was a feeling I did not enjoy. I lingered in my room for a moment before biting my lip hard as to what I should do; I paced back across the landing and looked over the banister to see my brother come into view. He was in the kitchen holding a cup of juice and his expression was angry, he slammed the cup down and scrunched his fists. I then saw my mother come into view holding out a warning finger whilst looking incredibly intimidating. I watched Danny's face soften immediately. Sighing I walked back into my room.

It was 8am; I peered through the window and noticed the sun was already out casting an illuminating orange tint across the sky, I sighed not used to this type of heat. I pondered over to the draw where I had unpacked some of my "summery" clothes and examined any potential clothes I could wear today. Pulling out some 3 quarter jeans I hesitated before I heard a chuckle near my door, my head twisted to see a boy standing there grinning. My instantaneous reaction was to slam the door shut and possibly scream but then I realised it was Alec - he must have slept over. I turned my attention away from his messy hair and grinning lips and back to my clothes.

"You know it gets pretty hot out here in the summer, I wouldn't choose those." He commented lightly strolling in as I rolled my eyes.

"And what would you recommend because you're obviously up to date with today's style." I spoke sarcastically casting him a knowing look up and down. He was dressed in some army shorts and a red vest top. He laughed a little harder this time and moved towards my right where he leaned against the wall with his arms folded.

"I'm going to let that one slide since I find contentment when you talk." He raised his brow; I noticed his emerald eyes twinkle slightly.

"You have some serious issues." I raised both of my eyebrows and then turned back to my clothes whilst he laughed again.

"How about those shorts and that top but trust me those 3 quarters will make you boil." He tapped them and then walked back towards the door.

"Right." I replied closing the door, he was quite weird but hey if Danny wasn't being hospitable, his friend being welcoming was better than nothing. I got dressed quickly and ran a brush through my hair glad it had dried straight. My hair was still incredibly long even with all those layers and it was normally always tied back due to me running around a muddy field chasing a football. But today I'd leave it down; it went down to the middle of my back and would hopefully stay in good condition.

I tip toed out of my room and grimaced seeing Alec leaning over the banister eavesdropping to the little talk that was still going on downstairs, I slumped next to him and hung my arms over like he was.

"What hair product do you use?" Alec asked sniffing my hair.

"Erm shampoo?" I asked idiotically.

Before he could reply, we heard Daniel's voice a little loud in the living room, our attention both locked over the banister where my mom had followed Daniel into the living room and their conversation was easier to hear.

I inwardly groaned knowing that this wasn't going to be nice for me. I knew I should walk away and cover my ears but my feet stayed glued to the ground where I would potentially hear Daniel telling my mom that he hated me.

"Mom I haven't done anything wrong!" He exclaimed jumping to sit on the sofa.

"Daniel, listen to me." My mom's voice was stern - she meant business.

"It is times like these a family is supposed to pull together but you, you -" She began.

"What family mom?" He growled.

"We aren't even a family!" He hissed. I took a step back as the venom in his words caught me, I could see Alec glancing at me with worry.

"Daniel don't you dare!" My mom hissed back.

"Stop your unnecessary temperamental attitude - she has done nothing wrong!" She lowered her voice.

"And neither have I, can you not just accept that maybe your son doesn't want anything to do with your daughter?!" Daniel shouted and this time it was loud.

My eyes were wide at his words, they repeated in my mind and the rancour was evident, Daniel did hate me. I stepped back and knocked into a lamp, it cluttered off the desk and fell to the ground where it rolled a little and then lay motionless. I saw 3 pairs of eyes direct at me directly and I froze.

"Alison." My mom yelled bolting towards the stairs. Daniel's mouth hung low and he moved forwards too.

"You stay put, you horrible, horrible boy!" My mother screamed at him as she ran up the stairs, I shook my head and stumbled into my room. I slammed the door shut quickly and locked it.

I didn't understand what did he have against me? Why? What had I done? I just didn't understand.

I could hear shouts from the other side of the door and slow knocking.

"Darling open the door!" I heard my mother call.

"He didn't mean it! He doesn't know what he's talking about! Alison - hunny please." She tried again.

I sat on the other side against the wall trying to block out the pleads to open the door and the low thumping against the door. What could I have done to make him dislike his own twin sister? Maybe I had done something wrong? Maybe it was just me? The idea of my existence seemed to tick Daniel off for some reason. I didn't want to make him feel like this in his own home, maybe coming to America was a mistake. Yes. It was a mistake; of course Daniel would feel resentment towards me, I was a daddy's girl. Even though we were twins me and Daniel, all those years ago we were split apart and my dad hadn't specifically chosen me, we were just inseparable. Daniel on the other hand didn't seem to care; maybe when he grew older he thought that dad didn't love him? That's ridiculous, my dad used to call and send him presents all the time, he made the effort - he did care.

I spent the next few hours on my bed, I had grabbed a book from the shelf and it was coincidentally the same book Alec had recommended. It was hard to get into with so many things on my mind but I still made the exertion to take it all in. So far I had learnt that the main character was an ambitious and spontaneous as she set out to follow her dreams and that her parents were low life ass-holes - basically. I put the book down with a sigh and looked out of the window where the afternoon sun was still blaring across the sky. Quietly as I could, I shoved the little things that I had unpacked back into my bag and suitcase and propped them against the wall. I took a scooting look and grimaced.

The calling and thudding had stopped and everything was silent until I heard the floor boards creak once more.

"Dude that was so low." I heard Alec mutter.

"Alec stay out of this man." Daniel replied.

"Fine. Whatever but you can't be bitter towards her for no reason." Alec scoffed.

"What do you know? Maybe I do have a good enough reason?" He retorted.

"Your not even giving her a chance, maybe she's cool." Alec suggested.

I hit my head on the wall behind me, I did not need defending, what I needed was to get out of this damn country now that I knew things were going to be harder here with Daniel's unknown grudge against me.

"Yeah then why don't you break down that door and go hang out with her if you think she's so cool." I heard Daniel reply with bitterness.

"You know what your problem is?" Alec started.

"No, but I'm pretty sure your going to tell me!" Daniel replied.

"You're hung on something that's not her fault, your taking it out on her." I felt a little jab on my door and I sighed.

"Thank you Doctor Phil, now if you don't mind -" He began.

Ugh, please don't get into an argument because of me. I quickly pulled the lock back across and pulled open the door, to my surprise they were right outside my door facing each other and looked like they were on the verge of pouncing on each other.

They looked shocked as I appeared in the doorway and I fixed my stare on Daniel.

"Stop it." I said calmly.

He turned away from me and went towards his room leaving me and Alec.

"Hey Dan - come by the park later about 3." Alec called after him as he slammed the door shut. I quickly closed my door behind me so he wouldn't notice my things packed.

I needed help - Alec's help specifically but I needed to be careful; a plan in my mind had already begun to form.