Status: active.

Amnesia

prologue.

As Ainsley Dunette came to a halt at a redlight as she was driving home from the store, she glanced down at her cell phone. She pushed the lock button and traced the pattern on her Galaxy S5 to get it to unlock before going into her contacts and pushing Luke Hemmings’s contact as it showed up in her favorites.

She pushed the ‘CALL’ button and put the phone up to her ear as it started to ring. She had been dating Luke for the past two years and she always tended to call him when she was on a drive home, whether it was from school, work, or the grocery store. She hadn’t seen him that day because she had errands to run and he was with his friends Michael, Ashton, and Calum and because they had spent all day yesterday together doing homework and planning their events for the coming weekend.

Ainsley heard someone pick up on the other line. “Hey, babe!”

“Hi,” Ainsley said as a small smile crept onto her face (which always happened when Luke greeted her on the phone with something other than just ‘Hello?’). “What are you doing?”

“The boys just left and I’m just cleaning the room up so I can watch a movie.” he said, before he went on (and Ainsley could just hear the smile in Luke’s voice). “Maybe you can come over and join me. It’s Anchorman. I know how much you love that movie!”

Ainsley pushed the gas pedal as the light turned green, and she smiled to herself. “Yeah, I don’t think so.”

“But you love that movie,” Luke pressed, emphasizing the word ‘love’. “You were so excited that we were watching it you nearly jumped out of your skin, Claire."

Claire was Ainsley’s middle name, and it was something that only Luke called her when he was making fun at her or trying to persuade her. It never made sense to her as to why he actually called her that at those times, and she used to hate it when they first started to date. But as the months went on she started to think that it was funny and somewhat adorable. It was only something that went on between the two of them and Ainsley just saw it as an ‘inside joke’, if you will, that brought them closer.

“I do not,” Ainsley chuckled as she approached another stoplight, where she would be turning left. “And that didn’t happen. Last time we watched it I fell asleep.”

“Suit yourself,” Luke sighed. “I’m just trying to think of an excuse to see you today, even though it wasn’t planned…”

Ainsley laughed to herself as she approached the light and began to turn left so she would end up on the main road. As she was in mid-turn, she saw a red truck come into view just yards away from her. She heard Luke say something on the other line, but she didn’t hear anything as she began to scream. She turned the steering wheel fiercely and tried to swerve out of the way just as the Ford truck was about to collide with her.

And then all she saw was darkness.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry this is so short; i just wanted to get the prologue out before i went to work (which is in a half an hour). so this is a new story i'm working on (obviously) and i hope people like it and give me some feedback!! please let me know what you think!