Bloody Mary

Tell me why you're still so young?

“This place is like a labyrinth.” Gary notes as he plops down on the poster bed in the room I used to call my own.

The deep purple walls have remained the same over the last twelve years, but the bed has been changed from a twin to a queen. The black lace curtains are the same as well as the dark mahogany vanity; the same one I would be hours sitting in front of playing with play make-up, laughing with my grandmother. That memory alone is the only good memory I held onto all these years, most of the memories faded as the years went by. This is mainly due to me wanting to forget the things she’s done to me weeks leading up to her abandoning me.

“Are you okay?” Gary asks, bringing me back to reality. “You got really quiet.”

“I’m fine,” I assure him, smiling at me through the reflection of the vanity mirror. “It’s just so weird to be back in this house, you know? It’s been twelve years, I never thought I’d be here again.”

“I always thought you were being overdramatic when you said this felt like a tomb rather than a home,” he states, “being here now, I know you weren’t this crazy overdramatic girl. You were right.”

“Growing up, when I was really young, I felt like I was growing up in this beautiful castle.” I smile at the memory, “it was grand, beautiful and I would imagine getting married in this house. Walking down the grand staircase wearing white that seemed so much brighter against the black and white designed wallpaper and dark cherry stained wood.

“But things changed, I grew up and learned that’s just a fairytale. Weeks leading up to her leaving me, they were the coldest days of my life. I was alone for days on end and when she was home, she never spoke to me. And if she did, she was yelling at me. Blaming me for something I had no control over. She was really weird that week.” I bite my lower lip as I begin to rethink the week before I went to live with my uncle. My grandmother, who was once the warmest woman I knew, turned cold.

“I’m sorry.” Gary says, getting up from the bed and walks over to me, pulling me into a great big hug. “I’m sorry for all of this.”

“It’s not like it’s your fault,” I tell him. “I’ll be fine, I survived worse things…”

**

“Who are all of these people?” Gary whispers as we walk into the small church in the center of town. I scan the room and see that most of the people here are townies, very few family members have shown up. That’s probably because most of the family live in either big cities across the country or the live in Romania.

“Locals,” I reply, “besides two of my great aunts that are proof dinosaurs walked the earth.” I chuckle, pointing to two old women wearing Victorian era mourning gowns with thick black veils. Their smooth, wrinkle-free skin is hidden beneath, thankfully. I always found the fact neither woman have no wrinkles. No crows feet or even laugh lines bore their faces. At least with their sister, my grandmother, had some kind of wrinkles; mainly laugh lines and a few dark spots.

“Your family is frickin’ creepy.” Gary whispers, causing me to chuckle. “I’m serious Caity, I swear one of your aunt’s is going to steal my soul for eternal beauty.”

“I think they’re more of the soak in the blood of virgins type.” I joke, earning a glare from Gary. “Don’t worry Gary, Caity is here to protect you.” I coo, earning a slap from my best friend. “Seriously, your soul will remain intact by the end of the funeral. No one is going to be stealing your soul tonight…”

Abel De Luca

“Who’s the blonde?” Gabriel, my friend, asks as he elbows me in the ribs. I look up and see the blonde in question awkwardly talking to one of Adele’s sisters. I recognize her from pictures Adele has of her around the house and Inn.

“It’s her granddaughter, Caity.” I reply before turning away. “I wonder what brings her here. She hasn’t been around in years from what Adele has said.”

“Maybe she felt guilty?” Gabriel suggests, shrugging. “Anything could be possible.”

“Highly doubt she’s here because she feels guilty,” I bitterly mutter before picking up my glass of Scotch on the rocks.

“Still pissed that there is a possibility that Adele didn’t leave Bloody Mary to you?” There is a smirk on his face which makes me want to slap him. He knows for a fact, I didn’t get left the Inn.

“That girl is going to be the end of everything,” I begin my rant, “the haven is going to be destroy because of Adele’s granddaughter, you and I both know that. I bet Adele didn’t even tell her what she really is; what her family really is.”

“Does it matter?” He questions, “I doubt Caity isn’t going to let her grandmother’s legacy die just like that.”

“We don’t know her.” I remind him.

“But if she’s anything like Adele, she’ll keep fighting for the Inn. She won’t let legacies die. You’ve got to believe, Abel. And maybe, when the time comes, you can be the one to inform Caity on what she really is.”

“That’s exactly what Adele said.” I sigh, downing the rest of my drink….
♠ ♠ ♠
Caity

comment&subscribe?