Bloody Mary

Honey don't feed it - it will come back.

Abel

As Gabriel says goodbye to Caity and her little sidekick, Rosary pulls me aside far enough so the newcomers can’t hear us.

“When are you going to tell her?” Rosary asks. “She’s going to find out sooner or later and she’ll be extremely pissed off that you lied to her.”

“And she’s going to be extremely pissed off that I was the one that bit her.” I counter. “Telling her that she was drugged is the safest route at the moment. She can’t remember what she saw that night; it’ll get her into trouble.”

“What did she see that night, Abel?” Rosary asks. “If it was just you feeding, you wouldn’t have wiped her memory.”

“She followed me to the Haven and I wasn’t alone.” I tell her. “I was with the succubi twins, we were in the middle of a little something….”

Rosary lets out a groan, “they are going to be the death of you, I swear Abel.” I just roll my eyes, knowing there is going to be a whole song and dance later about how I shouldn’t be involved with the succubi twins. “So you took Caity’s memory because she caught you fucking those bleach blonde whores? That’s nice Abel. You basically ruined this girl’s night because you didn’t want to get caught.”

“She’ll get over it,” I scoff. “Once she leaves this place, she’ll let things go and go back to normal everyday life.”

“She’s a Vaduva,” she reminds me. “They don’t let things go that easily. She won’t let missing memories go that easily. She’ll dig.”

“What would you like me to do?” I snap at her.

“Either tell her the truth Abel, or make sure she doesn’t dig.” She replies, “because if she starts digging into your past or the past of the Bloody Mary, things won’t end well. Especially if it’s your past. Because let’s face it, you haven’t been a saint.”

“You’re afraid that she’ll find out more about her own past than mine,” I counter. “Don’t worry, she won’t remember anything. I’ll make sure of it.”

“What are you going to do?” She asks. “You’re not going to kill her are you?”

“No, I’m going to do something much worse…”

**
Caity

“Home sweet home,” Gary exclaims as we drive into New York City. “As much as this weekend was relaxing, it’s nice to be home.”

“No kidding,” I laugh as he finds a parking spot in front of my apartment. “You coming to the Admiral Arm’s tonight?” I ask. Its one of the bars I moonlight at.

“You working tonight?” He questions. “I thought you’d want to take a break and find out about your missing night?”

“I can’t let one night ruin my life,” I shrug as I open the car door. “Besides I called Madame Grey before we left, she’s on vacation til tomorrow night. So Tuesday is when I’ll see her. Besides it’s like nothing is going to happen between now and then.” I explain as I grab my overnight bag and get out of his car.

“I guess, I’ll stop by tonight.” Gary smiles. “See ya Caity.”

“See ya G.” I smile. “Again thanks for everything” Gary just nods his head, smile still on his lips, as I close the door and he peels off. A chuckle escapes my lips as I head off towards my apartment.

I get to my second story walk up apartment and see that the door to the main hallway is open. Our landlord has told all of us to keep this door locked. Feeling the hairs on my arm standing up, I slowly make my way in; my keychain pepper spray in the ready position. Relief washes over me as I find out who the intruder is; a cat sleeping on my welcome mat.

“Hey pretty kitty,” I say in a soft voice as I slowly place my bags down. The cat looks at me with squinted eyes; enough to show me some of it’s bright green eyes. “What are you doing here? Are you lost?” I keep talking to it as I make my way closer. I find a collar but not tag; no license. All there is a crystal hanging from it.

“Don’t be like Men in Black,” I chuckle as I pet the black cat in front of me, “I don’t think I can handle aliens on top of the creepy people I hung out with this weekend.” The cat just purrs as I continue to it. “Let’s get you inside, you must be hungry. I looks like you haven’t had such a good life.” I state as I pick him up and get my bags before unlocking my door and letting it inside.

Once inside, I place my bags by my bedroom door before I head into the kitchen with the kitty still in my grasp. Before going through my cabinets looking for tuna fish, I place kitty down on my kitchen table. As I look for food for it, it watches me; still purring.

“Ha, here it is!” I exclaim as I find my last thing for tuna fish. “This should be enough to hold you over until I get to the store to get you proper cat food.” I tell it as I fill a bowl with the tuna fish before bring it over to it and setting the food down in front of it. The black cat happily starts eating, purring all the way through. I can’t help but to smile at the poor cat. I wonder who would just leave a cat like this alone.

“Well I’m going to go get ready for work tonight,” I tell the black cat in front of me, “make yourself at home.”

An hour or so later, I walk into my living room where I see the black cat sleeping on my couch. A smile tugs at the corner of my lips. The cat looks so peaceful. “I think I might just have to keep you,” I chuckle as I go and pet the sleeping cat, instantly earning a purr from the black beauty. “Tonight I’ll think of a good name for you. A powerful name, what do you think about that?” The cat meows earning another chuckle from me. “Well I hope you have a good night, I’m off to work. Goodnight pretty kitty.” I grab my keys and head out, locking the door behind me. Time to get back to the ‘ol grind…

**

“Don’t you think it’s strange that you find a black cat sitting on your doorstep after your grandmother dies?” Gary asks after I asked his opinion on a cat name for the black cat. “Is there some legend about that?”

“Black cats aren’t unlucky, Gary.” I state, rolling my eyes. “But seriously, what are your thoughts on Orion?”

“Wasn’t that the cats name from Men in Black?” He questions. “I thought you'd pick something Romanian or something like that. Maybe something witchcrafty or magical.”

“I seriously can’t believe you’d want me to go there stereotypical route.” I chuckle over We Are Harlot’s The One. “But seriously, if it’s a boy I’m thinking Orion or LeStat. And for a girl, Nyx or Morticia.”

“I don’t think it’s a good idea to keep the cat,” Gary states, “you don’t know if the cat is sick or not.”

“I’m made an appointment for the vet for tomorrow,” I tell him. “It’ll be nice to have someone else living in my apartment besides me.” I shrug.

“I’m just watching out for you,” Gary defends himself. “I’d hate to lose my best friend.”

“Gary, it’s just a cat.” I laugh. “You act as if I’m bringing in Ted Bundy.”

“I just… I just find this all really weird.”

“Relax,” I tell him. “This is just a coincidence. Nothing more.”

“There is no such thing as coincidences…”
♠ ♠ ♠
comment&subscribe?

black cat
Caity